“Home from Home”

Tokyo
“Home from Home”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Well what can I say that does justice to The Donkeys Rest ?#

My first trip to Hua Hin and I originally booked into the Donkeys Rest for 4 nights as I was unsure quite what to expect.I ended up staying 19 days after falling in love with the place which says it all

My room was spacious and clean with the decor being of a good standard, It had cable Tv, a large refridgerator, air con, a nice size balcony and a large shower room. All I needed for a pleasant stay

I was made to feel exceptionally welcome and I soon felt that I was "at home"
The hotel is run by Andy and his lovely Thai wife, Dwong and they made stay so pleasant that I can't adequately descibe their outstanding hospitality.

The Hotel has a competively priced mini mart and a nice size bar area with a pool table.
To the rear of the Hotel is a good size swimming pool and a large area for sunbathing with a gym and a restaurant, which serves freshly cooked food.

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the main night life area or alternately a tuk tuk will cost you 100bht (about £2) or a motor bike taxi about 60bht

The Hotel is extremely well priced and I have already decided to return later this year for a longer stay.

I have no hesitation in recommending this as a place to stay for both backpackers and families alike.

Andy and Dwong thank you so much.

Martyn

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank TokyoMarty

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
uk
Reviewed March 9, 2012

myself and my brother Roger have been coming to Thailand for many years and Hua Hin on a number of occasions.We wish we had stumbled across The Donkeys Rest before. We stayed for 7 days and had a fantastic time. The rooms are very clean with good wifi signal,fridge,air con and cable tv.Andy and Duong who run the hotel are very friendly and you are made to feel very welcome.There is a nice quiet relaxed swimming pool and gym at the back of the hotel.Its has a minimart and laundry service too.Its not in the centre of town but only 5 minutes in a taxi(100baht). You can walk it in 20 minutes if you fancy a stroll.There is a fantastic new water park opened only 15 minutes from the hotel, Andy will help you with any problems or advice as little as ordering a taxi for you to helping you do any trips or excursions. He even told Roger and I where there was a country and western band on live one night,not my thing but my brother likes it. Next time we are bringing the family and are already in contact with Andy about making a reservation as they have 2 wonderful children which will be good for our children. I would say overall that the hotel is aimed at every kind of customer from backpacking traveler to families with children.Thanks guys, ive told everyone Preston if they come to Hua Hin to stay with you. Had a good time and see you soon

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rupert w
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This place is probably fine for a few days, but the mosquitoes and flies were really annoying after a few days. The problem is that this close to what can be very loosely described as a river, which in fact is a smelly little rancid stream.

I stayed for 6 nights when I should really have stayed only 3 if I had planned better. It's a good price for the place, but it is a 15 to 20 minute walk from the train station or town. You can pay 100 baht each time you go into town and the same again coming back for a tuk tuk, but factor this into the price of your stay and it may be more convenient to find a place more central that's a bit more expensive to offset the extra transport costs.

I found it relatively friendly, but I think this place is more suited to older couples. The facilities here are very good though. They do share a pool with some other properties in the immediate area which is good. The mini mart is very competitive for prices and the bar prices are very fair. There are some good cafes and restaurants close to the Donkey's Rest also.

My room was on the second floor and was fine apart from the fact that I wasn't able to get a decent wi-fi connection most of the time I was there. I did mention this to Andy, but I don't think he was too concerned and just said something about going to the computer shop. Some of the connectivity problems were also down to the poor communications infrastructure in Hua Hin.

If I went back to Hua Hin I would probably chose somewhere closer the centre.

Room Tip: Get one close to the ground floor if you need wi-fi
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I spend 3 nights there back in 2011. That was my first time travelling to Hua Hin. The room is clean and spacious; with a mini kitchenette in my room. It is within walking distance to a few eateries which opens during night time. Make sure you visit Market Village which is approx 20 minutes walking distance from this guest house. Alternately you can talk tuk-tuk to get there. Thanks to Andy and his wife for the hospitality.

Room Tip: Please email to Andy on your request and arrangement.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2012

There is definitely a pool at The Donkeys Rest, How a review can say there is not one is beyond me. It is not only a decent size but is clean and has plenty of loungers and umbrellas around it.

Run by Andy (The Donkey) and his wife Dwong. It is Lovely and clean, rooms are spacious and have a stocked fridge at the mini market prices. air con, TV etc, all you need at a very reasonable price.

Staff are all friendly, Laundry service is at normal prices. The place to stay in Hau Hin

The bar doubles as the reception and is a hub of fun.

Had a great stay last week and would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 04_roger_04
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Our second visit to the Donkey's Rest was as memorable as the first. Soi 94 is becoming quite a hub in Hua Hin for a range of shops, bars and restaurants, all within easy (up to 10 mins) walking distance of the hotel. Street stalls, offerings of authentic Thai, Italian, Japanese, Indian, European and Mexican are all within 600 yards of the hotel and market village, just 10 mins away has just about everything under it's roof, including a Tesco's. Hua Hin centre is a 10 min 100 Baht (£2) tuk-tuk ride away, providing plenty of night life to satisfy all needs and some truly great seafood restaurants. On site is a pool, gym, mini mart and beauty salon for pedicure, manicure, hair cutting and massage which both of us used several times during our stay. As ever, Andy and Duong provide the service, environment and tailored prescription for both long term residents and short term travellers. The place is becoming quite an institution for a number of us and it was great to renew old acquaintances and make many new friends of all nationalities. We have already booked our next 2 month stay for more Happy Days in Paradise.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Donkey's Rest very much. The room was perfectly clean and had all i needed in terms of facilities: Bed, hot shower, TV, Wifi in the room and even a small balcony with a moskito net, so you can sit outside at night. Decoration is simple, but they make up for it in kindness! Being a single woman traveller i felt 100% safe and moved around without hesitation. The area has Restaurants nearby and if you rent one of their scooters (200 per day) you fan get to Huahin city center within 10 minutes. But there are much better things to do: go to the beach (500m), chill by the pool (behind the house) ir visit kao tapiak (4 km). thank you donkey's rest for making me feel at home at you place.

• Stayed January 2012