“A great charity”

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“A great charity”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Lovely to see these lovely creatures being looked after and helped; there are actually two locations on the same road, the hill leading out of Hua Hin - this one being the upper-most, the place where sick elephants are treated and working ones rehabilitated. There is also an English-speaking guide or two, a hall depicting the charities work, a chance to feed some of the inmates and if your lucky get a hug from the baby's trunk as my wife and daughter did!

Visited October 2011

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“please do not go ...”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This activity was part of a tour to Kwai River, thought it would be a great opportunity to see elephants close. However ... The animals look sad, they are clearly unhappy - a lot of growling, they looked thin and very poorly cared for. Equally the "village" which we presume was for the workers was dirty and disgusting - beer bottles all over the ground - not particularly scenic. We feel disgusted that we went on the "tour" - otherwise known "as a short walk round the block". At one point the keeper hit and punched the elephant with a sharp axe like instrument. I always think carefully about putting a review on tripadvisor - I feel so strongly I'm actually doing this while I'm on holiday! Please do not go - if you have to go as part of the tour, don't get out of the minibus.

5 Thank Heather80England
Worcester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have to concur with the findings of others about Elephant Village. My daughter and I arranged a visit through the hotel; transport + elephant trek, cost 925 Baht each. Although the very brief introduction upon our arrival at Elephant Village talked about Elephant Conservation, I couldn't help but get the feeling that it's just another lucrative business venture. That said, I am still prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Riding on the back of an elephant was certainly a new experience and if i'm honest, one that we both enjoyed, particularly when given the opportunity to sit in the position of the Mahout. The circuit around which we were taken was basically a well worn pathway through scrub land with large clumps of bamboo dotted about and the trek took around 45mins to an hour to complete. It would have been considerably less had we not stopped every few minutes for the elephant to dine on what remained of the surrounding vegetation.
Half way through our trek we were offered braclets and necklesses to buy. We were told by our elephant guide that the small elephant charms were not carved from ivory but were made from teeth. We still declined the offer.
At the end of the trek, we were given the option to buy fruit with which to feed to the elephant. We both purchased bunches of small bannanas (100 Baht each) which the elephant demolished in the blink of an eye.
As others have commented previously, we were then shown to seats and served a small glass of icecream and bottled water, both of which were welcome and unexpected. This gesture was however in preparation for the baby elephant show. We were both extremely uncomfortable with this aspect of the trip and would rather it had not taken place. Yes, we could have left and should have left but we didn't. At the end of the show the baby elephant passes around a basket for further donations of cash from the audience.
I do have very mixed feelings about the experience as a whole. The elephant ride was fun but the day was blighted for both of us by the baby elephant show . I console myself with the thought that the cost of the trek is in some small way helping to conserve these maginificent animals. Ideally, I would have been more interseted to learn more about Elephant village's role in conservation and more about the animal itself.

I would suggest going to the Hutsadin Elephant Foundation instead, the reviews seem much better.

3 Thank Karl G
Copenhagen, Denmark
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“animal abuse”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The animals live in very poor condition. elephants are chained with no space to do nothing. chains are less than 2 feet in length. They have no food or water and the people just weight for tourists to take them out. elephants look very sad and unhappy. we decided to leave right away.

2 Thank guera323
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“DO NOT STAY FOR THE SHOW”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We love elephants and never having been to Thailand wanted to get up and personal with some here. I really don't know if this camp is a money spinning venture or truly for the benefit of th elephants, but after your ride you are invited to sit and watch a baby elephant ''perform' If you do stay please be aware that his human 'friend' is sporting a pin in his hand and that's why he's always behind the elephant (chained up int he heat until the poor thing gets to do his act) We stayed far too long during this 'show' and then told them to stop and we walked out, feeling upset and a bit disgusted with ourselves to be honest. Please don't go to this. I think there are truer and more valuable wildlife excursions you can do.

Visited February 2011