“Nice place - especially for families”
Review of Mantra Resort

Mantra Resort
Ranked #61 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My friend and I came here for a weekend getaway as a break from being mommies 24/7. Though we love kids in general, it was tough finding that there were about 3 Thai families staying the same weekend and the children mostly had little regard for our desire to read by the pool (all one depth, so they could have played at other end instead of splashing us). Nothing the hotel can really do about that - but this may mean the Mantra Resort is known among the Thais as a great place for families.
My lower rating is solely based on the service at Mantra. Maybe I'm being a Foolish Farang (foreigner) for expecting better English skills in Thailand, but the English levels were abysmal among almost all staff (I only came across one lady that spoke enough English to communicate with us).
I had to ask twice the first afternoon for someone to come to the pool-side bar for drinks - and we waited over 20 minutes after the first request. The second afternoon was a different bar tender and the drinks were not good (I did ask to exchange a Bloody Mary that was not drinkable for something else - they gave us a new drink for free). After the first day of not feeling much welcome (not that they were rude, but it I can see why it is this way in light of little to no English speaking skills), we rarely asked for anything else. I would summarize it by saying they were not skilled to anticipate needs. To me, this means it is very much a Thai-run resort. They have to go through special training in order to think or plan ahead. (This is not a put-down to Thais. It's just how they think as a result of their culture. It's not wrong - just different and therefore frustrating if you are not of this culture.) Another example of this is not having pool towels out and not putting up the umbrellas until asked to do so (well -- until they saw us poorly attempting to do it ourselves and then finally came and did it). Items should be restocked in the mornings and umbrellas up before the sun pops up over the building. There were also only 2 small tables out for the 8 or so chairs - I like to put my things next to me when I'm wet and not on the chair with me. It sounds picky, but I notice stuff like that -- like trash mixed in w/ the towels (b/c there is no trash can) and the ash tray not being emptied after they came to clean the room.
They would not allow a 2nd key for our room - which was inconvenient since we were not looking to do everything together that weekend.
These things don't make my stay miserable, but they also don't make me feel noticed or that there is concern for the small needs of the customers.
We had breakfast included. A very small buffet, but your eggs (or rice soup / fried rice) are ordered separately and you only get one (which was enough). We loved the potatoes the first morning and when we asked the 2nd morning for them (they were not out), they did bring us each a small plate of them.
A few notes: there is construction (and we were right on the corner -- so right next to it), but you can only hear it when you're outside. The balcony doors block the noise very nicely. Since the room key turns on your electricity and the refrigerator needs said electricity, none of our drinks (mostly water) we purchased from 7/11 stayed cold and the yogurt went bad. You get one, small, free bottle of water a day - which is not enough and many people like their water cold -- not going to happen except maybe in the morning after the fridge has been on all night.
If you walk about 5 min to the main street, there are a few shops -- one is a spa and it was >wonderful!< and cheaper than Mantra (not that we ever saw a spa or the 2nd restaurant that is supposed to be there somewhere -- if you close it down due to low-season then just say so when we get there, "Because it is low season, our ___ Restaurant and the spa are closed, but you can still enjoy......." again - low English restricts this possibility).
You can also walk down that same main street, but to the left, and cross it to eat at Papa John restaurant. I will review that place separately on Tripadvisor, but it was really good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michelle T

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our stay at the Mantra left us with mixed feelings. The rooms were nice, spacious and clean and ours had a lovely view of the sea. The staff were hit and miss; some were excellent and some were terrible. A case in point was when I was waiting to order a beer and trying to catch the waiter's eye. The waiter in question was oblivious to me as he was too busy picking his nose, the findings of which he proceeded to wipe on the wall (in the breakfast area)! However, other staff were very helpful, including one staff member who when a taxi couldn't be ordered over the phone went out on his motorbike to get us one. The breakfast was okay although not the best we have had in Thailand, but the lunch and evening food was relatively good. The pool area was very nice and the hotel is two minutes from the beach. Overall the experience was okay, although for Thailand a little expensive for what you get.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Last visit 16-17 Feb 2013 , good service and take care, room is clean, close to Cicada night market (10min walk), 2min to the sea.
Breakfast is average , good service.
Pool is nice and clean.
Quite place, you can be relax.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vichan D
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel five nights in Feb 2013. We overall had a very nice experience at Hua Hin Mantra Resort, and I would stay there again if we go back to Hua Hin.

The most negative issue I can think of is the beach. It may be a short two minute stroll down to the water, but that doesn't actually get you to the beach. The "beach area" by the hotel is no beach area, as the tide is so high that there's no sand at all. You have to walk at least 500 meters in the water in either direction to actually get to a beach or sand you can put your towel at, so if you're looking for a hotel with easy beach access this is not it. If you're happy walking (wading really) through water for 15 minutes, that's no problem. But I was a little disappointed that I couldn't lay at the beach by the hotel. We did stay at the pool and went down to the water for a swim once or twice during the day, but it's not the same feeling as being by the water. If you're happy with the pool, that's no problem. And the pool area is very nice, big and clean. I loved the pool.

The Thai food at the hotel was surprisingly good. I had the best Pad Thai I've ever had in or out of Thailand at the hotel. And I didn't expect that at all. We also had some very good snacks and appetizers. And it wasn't actually that overpriced.

We didn't have breakfast included so I can't say what that was like. If you don't have breakfast included, you can walk all the way up to the main road (10 min walk), cross the road and walk two minutes to your left, and there's a very nice bakery serving delicious sandwiches, danishes and coffee. We went there a few mornings and weren't disappointed. I think it was called Warapura Coffee or something similar.

If you're there during the weekend you must not miss the Cidada market! It's out by the main road, only a ten minute walk from the hotel, and is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. The food in the food court is absolutely delicious. Some of the best I had during my four week trip all around Thailand. Go there and sample a few dishes from the different stalls. And don't miss the Mango and Sticky Rice dessert...

Pros:
- Very big and comfy rooms with balcony
- Great food in the restaurant
- Nice pool area
- Good service
- Close to Cidada Market during the weekend
- Overall a very pleasant hotel I'd recommend

Cons:
- Short walk to the water where you can swim, but there's no sand and no beach
- Construction work at hotels near by
- It's a little far to the city center - you have to get a taxi
- Not a lot of restaurants in walking distance. Only by the main road - which is not so nice...

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the main building (the building where the reception is) they're darker t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank enirtak_kat
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I will start by saying this hotel was a late substitute,what a substitute right from arriving we were treated as very special guests.Booking in was very easy and quick and the staff were very polite and took us to our room.Our room was in the second block on the third floor,the room was large with 2 queen size beds and was clean through out.When we came down stairs we met [MON] resident manager what a nice lady,she looked after us for the full two weeks we were there,nothing was two much trouble.We also met the 2 owners of the hotel they also were very nice people who really wanted to know if everything was ok and if there were any improvements we could thing off.Breakfast was nice with plenty of tea and coffee.There is some building work going on close by but dont let that bother you as we hardly noticed it.We have traveled all over Asia but have never stayed in a hotel where we were made to feel so welcome by all the staff.The only thing stopping me giving the hotel 5 stars is location it is about 1-5 kms from the main road the hotel could do with some transport to take guests to main road so they can catch a Baht bus or Tuk Tuk only a small thing. Keith Dianne Pocklington york England

Room Tip: When you leave the hotel to walk to the main road there is a block of Condominiums The Amari if you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sanookbar
Reviewed December 28, 2012

WE had great service up front with Seksan, Ya and Beer. They were part of the team that booked us, checked us in and helped us out. I called last minute for transport and it was done right away. The staff are very nice and very cordial and always smiling. We just spent 4 nites there and loved it and there is no doubt we will return. The rooms are big and the bathrooms are great. (I would only suggest a little brighter lighting) Room is big enough for a family of 4 plus a cot if necessary for families with small kids. The breakast.. no idea why people complained.. were great. The basics are there and I would say 3 out of 4 days were fabulous! The place was quiet.. the beach is only 4 mins. walk away. We were here during the high tides times but by 2 or 3 pm, the tide receded and it was great. I would rather stay on this beach than to taxi to the Sofitel beach where we were all quite damaged from the sharp rocks in the water and bothered by people selling things on the beach. The view is stunning with the black mountains in view as well and the water was warm and safe. I docked off 1/2 for the fact that one of the receptionist could not speak english and instead of telling me she didn't understand me or passing the phone to someone else, she hung up on me twice. Aside from that incident, I would return the next time I can make it there and stay at the same place. Weekends there is a night market with entertainment and a market style kitchen. Hua hin has great seafood places as well in the city.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms looks great but there are panoramic view rooms but I would prefer the ones by...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have a pleasant staying here, room price is affordable
It’s a luxurious resort and accommodate with average facilities.
Thanks for a good welcoming and friendly staff

But need transportation to get into the centre of town and
The balcony is full of dust due to construction work at the side
Unfortunately my kids got bit by the sand fleas at the beach nearby

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends