“Avoid. Terrible customer service”

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Ranked #33 of 623 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: American, Bar, European, Thai, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Derby, United Kingdom
“Avoid. Terrible customer service”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We ordered our meal and waited and waited. The waiters kept saying soon. Still no sign of it after an hour so we decided to leave. At this point it arrived, brought by a man we discovered was the owner. (Sorry to say he was a Brit). We told him it had taken over an hour to arrive and we weren't very happy with the service. To our amazement, instead of apologising, he called us liars and said it hadn't been that long even though he wasn't even present when we placed our order. My husband said it was 65 minutes and again he called us liars and said he would check the timing.
At this point my normally very placid husband said we were leaving and wanted the bill. The owner, shouted across the whole room in front of about 25 customers that he didn't want our (disgusting swear word) money, to leave his ******* restaurant and called my husband, who has arthritis, a ******* cripple.
We left saying we would never return. To our astonishment he followed us into the street using abusive and threatening language and behaviour. We shouted at him to keep away from us. When he eventually went, several concerned bystanders asked if we were OK and said they could not believe it.

I have never written such a bad review for TA before but then I have never in my life been treated in such an atrocious manner, especially in Thailand where politeness rules. But. I must add, the Thai staff were charming, polite and professional throughout. Unlike their boss.

There are lots of classy and upmarket restaurants in Hua Hin, this place is not one of them.

3 Thank pusscat54
buffalobillshuahin, Owner at Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
On Thursday evening gone, my telephone rang whilst I was sitting with old customers. The day after I checked my CCTV and with my staff went through the whole scenario from start to finish from the couple walking in till being told to leave, 47minutes precisely.

My telephone rings at 19.03pm. I walk to the side entrance by the stair to take the call. A couple come up the stair, asked my staff if they could sit at the outside bar, take a drink, order food at the bar but eat at a table, no problem (the order and first drink arriving and took 9 minutes19.12pm). My telephone call finished at 19.15pm, I sit at the bar inside. At 19.39pm my staff asks the couple to take their seats as their food will be along shortly. 19.46pm the bell at the kitchen rings, I walk to the kitchen take the two plates to the table and politely ask, “who is having Lamb”, the woman from nowhere blasts me with; “We’ve waited over an hour for this and now it’s the wrong order” I said; “calm yourself madam, what did you order”? In a fluster;, “Beef, I ordered Beef”. I said; “here’s your Beef madam and I take it the Lamb is for you Sir”. At this point I think someone felt a little foolish. I did then say; “I’ll check the time you ordered madam but I cannot believe it was an hour ago your order was taken and if so why did you not bring it to my attention”? At that juncture I didn’t check the CCTV I checked my telephone for the incoming call which was at 19.03pm, precisely the same time the couple came in up the stair. Now in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have gone back to the table to prove the point that their order for food was taken at approximately 19.12pm baring in mind the time I took the call and the couple walking up the stair, ordering a drink and their food then receiving their first drink. Alas, to my detriment I did, (my mistake) which made the women more irate. I walk away, then a loud shout (you can’t hear but see people’s reactions) came up across my restaurant floor by the husband; “Hey fat boy get me the bill”. Now I am a little portly and I’ve been known to use profanity on occasion but come on, at this point I’m the victim and It’d be crass stupidity to shout (a disgusting swear word) back mugging myself to become the aggressor in earshot of 10 or 15 other customers. Did I react? Yes. Who wouldn’t when a man shouts across the floor “Hey fat boy get me the bill”? I did walk over to the table and tell them; “I don’t want your rotten money and you should leave my restaurant immediately and not return”, which I said in a very voice, I might add. That was the end of the whole scenario. The Jackanory about me chasing them up the road and calling an old man a cripple is preposterous.

I’m going to upload all CCTV from YOBT to the Tube, I’ll let you know when, it’s worth a laugh.

• Arabic first
Hua Hin, Thailand
“One of the best in Hua Hin”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I regularly visit Bill and Lorrainne at YOBT as I live in Hua Hin, and particularly enjoy a glass or two of the draught cider they have, but also on many occasions have eaten there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Portions are generous and food is always excellently presented and prepared, and delicious. Tourists will find it to be great value, as well as a great meeting place right in the heart of town. My Thai wife and young children also love going there, particularly because Bill and Lorrainne are such great hosts, and their staff are well trained and friendly.

• Visited March 2014
buffalobillshuahin, Owner at Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thanks Steve J for your great review, give us a shout when you're next in and I'll have a beer with you and your young lady. Been going good of late here on TA but how long will it last?
Dendermonde, Belgium
“Chill out , relax and listen to the music !!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The boss an his staff are the best in Hua Hin , the food is ok but the background music is the best . You can ask music from the sixties , seventies ..... and they do it ! Next year we go back .
Greetings from belgium . Deep respected for tripadvisor , never been disaponted !!

• Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Perfection Yet Again”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Thailand and also to Bills Tavern. What more can I say other than Perfection again. Service impeccable and the meal to die for. Perfect waitress who was cheerful and friendly. The food was simply superb my only complaint if you could call it that, was a plentiful serve and being so delectable gorged myself to clean the plate. Music played throughout the night fantastic just wish Bill could produce a CD of it. Both Bill and Lorraine really know how to run and restaurant. Love the way they mingle with the diners. Highly Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2014
Cha-am, Thailand
“Good old english fare”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have had the pleasure to dine at this restaurant a few times now. I know it's cliched but sometimes while on holiday you get a hankering for a brief taste of home, and this place delivers. I have been there with my Thai girlfriend and she has enjoyed a lamb roast dinner, as well as a seafood pilau, so the non-Thai dishes are certainly good enough for her.
Its possibly a little on the higher end of the price scale for people who are living in Hua Hin, but for people on holidays it represents pretty fair value.
There are some nice beers on offer to make the 'tavern' experience complete.
I will certainly go again.

• Visited January 2014
buffalobillshuahin, Owner at Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Why thank you Ian for you kind review. Please come by any time my wife and I are always around it’d be nice to meet you both.