“I'll give it another chance...!!!”

Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern
Ranked #42 of 665 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here twice now. The first time, absolutely no complaint whatsoever but the second wasn't the best I've got to say.

Bill came to our table to ask if everything was ok. My wife mentioned that her chips were rather hard and he just mumbled something and walked off.

I later asked if he could put the football on the tv (which I might add, nobody was watching as I'd checked and the sound wasn't on anyway) and he said he didn't know how to change the channels....!!!! How you don't know how to change channels on your own tv defeats me...

However, I will give it another chance as some of our friends think it is a great place.

Maybe we caught him on a bad night...!!!

1  Thank Peter H
buffalobillshuahin, Owner at Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

The reason it’s taken me so long to reply to this is because around the time this review was posted, I became disillusioned with TA and swore I’d not answer any more reviews. But times change so I’ve just started answering our critics, be them constructive or not.
I do remember this situation and by way of an explanation here goes. Around early/mid December 2012 we had cable, UBC satellite TV and were in the process of having an ASTRO TV system fitted. The system was not working correctly, for around two weeks. When channels needed changing I had to change them manually by going out the back of the restaurant, through the kitchen and into a store room where the receiver boxes were located. It was the height of the high season and very busy. The receiver boxes didn’t match up to individual TV’s at that time, I had to go through the rigmarole of changing the channel on each box (we had 5) then coming back out into the restaurant to see which TV had changed, I would not have known straight away which box/TV closest to the customer had been changed. My fault and I make no excuse other than it was just another job in my place that needed tweaking. So for this I apologise, one down one to go.
The next apology is to your wife, I’m sorry and I’ll explain why. Late in the year potatoes that are supplied to us are of a different variety the change due to growing conditions in the north where spuds are grown, being wet and cooler the fields and the earth is damper causing the spuds to retain higher sugar content.
At the end of the year, the potatoes we’re supplied have to be blanched for 8-10 minutes also flash baked for a few minutes because the sugar content causes them to darken when deep fried giving the appearance of being overdone, but the taste is fine.
The blanching speeds up the cooking process and lessen the darkening of the chips when fried.
The only excuse I have for the hard chips being served to your wife is that they were not blanched for long enough.
As for giving us another chance, well done thank you very much for being so understanding.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Every thing we ordered was great. We had the spare ribs and pork loin medallions which were so tender... the meat melted in your mouth. The green curry pizza topped with rocket greens was the most amazing fusion ever. We love thai food, but a bit of old fashion meat and potatoes was refreshing. The owner was extremely nice and was very kind taking time to chat with us. Cannot top this place for good food from Thai to Western. Generous portions and flavors were wonderful. Still cannot get over how tender the meat was... The place was packed and we know why. We must go back before we leave Hua Hin.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have eaten at buffalo bills on many different occasions although you have to wait for the chicken to be cooked it is clearly stated on the menu as it is always cooked fresh and to order! It's well worth the wait. I have had the roast beef twice and it was delicious both times with large homemade Yorkshire puds!! The ribs fall of the bone and the hand cut chips are fantastic, the cheesy garlic bread is the best I've had anywhere! The Thai menu is also fantastic! All in all they cater for every taste and the service is brilliant!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Well, we had both looked forward to enjoying a sunday roast - unfortunately we either picked the wrong day[!] the wrong meal or the wrong place to eat. It was and awful meal. I think they must lay it all out on plates on the put in microwave because our plates were far hotter than the food. Cabbage was almost raw and nothing was seasoned. Such a shame as we have eaten there before but not sure we will again.

2  Thank NigelnViv
buffalobillshuahin, Owner at Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Well Nigel and Vivien, I’m finally getting to the last few critics on my page. I’m not happy about writing this one as I feel we sort of knew each other as your first review for BB’s in Jan 2012 F&C’s or a Roast, was very nice and I believe you were more than happy even gave me a thanks Bill. Your next visit, not very happy at all, N&V surely you feel you could have brought it to my attention if your meal was as you say awful instead of leaving such a nasty review, especially with your comment, “I think they must lay it all out on plates on the put in microwave because our plates were far hotter than the food”. Simply untrue, and impossible to do. We must serve hundreds of roasts every month and try our best. I’ll admit we’re not perfect and we do make mistakes on occasions, but do you really think we could fit two 16 inch wide oval dinner plates in a microwave? We do heat the plates in our ovens as we all know there’s nothing worse than eating cold Sunday roast with mushy vegetables.
I shall speak to Andy to ask when your next here to invite you both to come down and have a Sunday roast on me.

Bill

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We came on holiday last year and had such an amazing time at buffalo bills we decided that it was a must visit this year! We have been in hua hin for 3 weeks so far and still have a week left, we have visited bb's every night for our cans of kepplers cider!! Bill and Lorraine are amazing hosts and have a natural ability to make everyone feel that they are the most important people there! The food is delicious! Whether you fancy Thai or something more homely! My husband and I love this place and feel that our holiday has been made that much greater by the hospitality shown by Bill and Lorraine! Thank you!