“On the beach - romantic place”

Baan KangMung HuaHin Resort
Ranked #118 of 294 Hua Hin B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“On the beach - romantic place”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Right on the beach of Hua Hin. Step out of your room on the sand and within a few meters jump into the sea. What more can you wish?
Nice decorated rooms, good shower and good bed. Breakfast maybe not the best in town but fair enough. Location makes the price; a simular hotel on different location should be 25% cheaper but ... right on the beach it's worth to pay a bit more...
Hua Hin is a nice place for people that like to have a beach and or quiet holiday. Clean beaches and plenty of good fish restaurants along the beach

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Baan Kang Mung by the Beach

In terms of simple, nature-inspired decor, Baan Kang Mung is one of the loveliest surprises of a guest house. I admit that upon arrival, I was quite disappointed that the room reserved called "Baan Kang Mung By the Beach" on booking.com overlooked a busy Hua-Hin street rather than "By the Beach" as the booking name implied The operation is split between two buildings separated by a series of sois (alleys); one building houses the beach-front bungalows and the other site is situated on the busy main street of Hua Hin. Upon check-in, if you want to change to a bungalow, it is an additional $50-100 depending on the season. Speaking with staff, I emphasized the confusion from the website. When I arrived, the hotel restaurant and other neighborhood eateries were closed; I'm ever-grateful the gracious staff offered to take me on her motorbike to pick-up provisions for the evening.

Once shown to the street-side room, I was quite pleased by the minimalist bamboo and wooden decor blending naturally with the cream-colored walls. The sizable bathroom had a rounded blue-bowl sink, though lacked shelf-space and place to hang the towel. Bamboo-basketed CFL light bulbs kept the room in understatedly well-lit, though there were some problems with the bedside lamps working initially and staff was prompt in fixing them. Windows are draped with a cream canvas which lend a nice dappled lighting effect to the wood floors. The beds are draped with mosquito netting that you may choose to use or leave open for a canopied effect.

I stayed here during the US elections, which I watched on the room TV with clear picture and via internet on my laptop with no wifi disruption. I was on the second floor with a narrow porch overlooking the alley leading to the busy main road. Originally, I was slated to be in a downstairs "Save the World " room replete with sign though the top floor seemed quieter. I'll leave Saving the World for the folks that need more action!

Great breakfasts in reception area with bamboo and shell accents, showcasing Thailand's natural seaside resources. Local paintings adorn the walls and blue-glass planters with greenery adorn the few tables in the eating area. Breakfast included is as simple as the decor: fresh local fruit, choice of instant coffee/tea, toast, jam, bacon or sausage (mini hotdogs) and eggs made to order. Everyone on staff is lovely and wishing to help with guest needs.

It's an easy bike ride or walk to Tak Kiap Beach where you can visit the Big Buddha on the island and eat great , affordable seafood like barbecued mussels. There are also plenty of wats (temples) perched upon the Hills of Hua Hin, with sweeping views of the Gulf of Siam. Hua Hin is not "off the beaten path," which is more my style, though this charming, simple hotel "off the alley way" made the busy streets seem not so busy.

Things to improve: Bikes for guest-use. Rhe hotel has one rusty bike with missing pedal available for guest use. I ended up renting from a nearby hotel for 100 baht a day.
- Recycle litter and clean up the bungalow beach front. Please be aware of mountains of trash strewn along many beaches of Hua Hin. Rainy season apparently brings a lot of gunk in with the tide, and while there are government, hotel and community efforts to clean the beaches, there is more that needs to be done.
- Cearly state on website and on all third party booking agent sites that there are two buildings. Better yet, rename each building to aptly reflect the property (aka "By the Beach" and "Along the Alley"
- Many hotel sare just catching on to the idea of energy and water conservation, even using the most simple measures. Clearly state any hotel policies or regarding these actions.

Room Tip: Quieter on the second floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Concord, California
Reviewed March 6, 2012

A couple of nights ago we stayed at Baan Kang Mung. We stayed in one of the beach side rooms. The location is great. It is right next to the beach and has a nice view of the ocean from the room. Also, the bathroom was quite pleasant.

The room itself was a bit small and somewhat plain. I suppose that some might consider it elegant if they like absolutely everything to be white. There was one chair (white flat wood or course) which must have been designed to be extremely uncomfortable. (It's hard to imagine that it could have achieved such a high degree of discomfort strictly by accident.) However, the chair situation was easily remedied by bringing in one of the two white plastic chairs from the small patio. All in all, it was a fairly pleasant, and quite adequate room.

My main complaint was the price and the attitude. We were having dinner at a nearby restaurant when we first noticed the beach side rooms. Needing to find a room for the night, we walked over and asked about availability and price. Several of the beach side rooms were available and I was quoted a list price of 3,800 baht plus 10% tax. Frankly I thought that seemed a bit high for what was offered. The lady at the desk immediately said that we could have the room for 3,500 baht. I still thought that it was a bit high but since it was already dark and I didn't feel like driving to look further, I agreed.

The next morning I went online and did a bit of research. Sawadee.com listed the beach side rooms for 2,600 baht plus taxes or 3,060 total. Agoda.com had similar prices. Liking the location, we considered spending an additional night or two. I approached the desk and mentioned the online prices that I had located. I said that if they would match those prices for the average night's rate, we would like to stay longer. Since most of the beach side rooms appeared vacant, I thought that this was a reasonable offer. I was met by a rather officious response that the walk in rates were much higher than the rates offered by outside agencies (even though they must pay commission to those agencies) and that was just the way that it was. If I didn't like it, I should have booked online in the first place. There was no flexibility whatsoever. I said, "Fine, you will have one more vacant room tonight."

As we left, my Thai wife, who usually likes almost everyone, commented, "I didn't like her at all. I thought that she was very unpleasant." I had to agree.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Kent67

Travelers are raving about these Hua Hin hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Great sea view from the bed. Quiet and clean.
Less choice for breakfast. Front & breakfast area need improvement I guess!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nok S
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I looked up their website and got the distinct impression this hotel was located beachside. UNfortunately only the very expensive rooms are located there. They are 3000THB per room on weekdays and not sure how much on weekends. The rooms we booked were 1500THB and while nice enough were not what we were expecting. The place is located in Khao Takiab which is 7km away and costs 150THB one way to get to town in a tuk tuk,

All noises can be heard. The doors closing, people walking up stairs, thumping feet in the room above and anyone talking in the passage.

They do have nice TV channels.
You have to walk down a small alleyway to the beach past some loud aggressive dogs who sometimes come at you.
Breakfast is not too bad.

Upon arrival we were met by a rather miserable guy. There is another young guy who does the night shift who was cool, but the other guy is a misery. The ladies are ok and smile and try their best to understand you. The best thing is to stay out of their way.

Overall accommodation is expensive in Hua Hin. I would not recommend the entire area as a place to go. It gets packed on weekends with Bangkokians coming down for the weekend.

Madame Green's may be a popular spot, but we did get a stomach virus from their food, so beware.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank whitebobo
Connell, WA
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The Baan Kang Mung has two locations, so don't confuse the village location with the beach side bungalows. We stayed at the beach side location, which was hard for Tuk Tuk driver's to find - they seemed to know only the village location. Older units nicely updated, very nice beach. Service was quite good, but limited English. We were looking for above average (but not luxury) beach side accommodations that were NOT a large multi-storied resort hotel, and the Baan Kang Mung definitely met our expectations.

The hotel and bungalows are located in Takieb Village, which is on the southern edge of Hua Hin. Tuk Tuk ride to anywhere to or from Hua Hin is 150 Baht. We liked the location - a bit out of the way - which allowed us a quiet nights sleep.

We were three adults and the two bedroom unit was not available, so we took a one-bedroom beach side unit with an extra bed. The extra bed is pushing it - it was a cot with a thin mattress. Luckily we had a 21-year-old "I can sleep anywhere" with us and she slept fine. I know that I would have had a problem sleeping on the extra bed. The standard king bed was very comfortable. With the extra bed, the room was a bit cramped, although not impossible, without the extra bed it would have been just fine.

Our decision to stay at this hotel was very "last minute" -- with just a phone call to get their rack rate. Although more than we wanted to pay, we booked the room and after our stay, we found the the room rates were substantially discounted if booked online. I used the discounted rates when evaluating the "value" of this stay, since we paid a rate 50% higher than rates you will find online.

If you are not on an organized tour, then getting to Hua Hin is a bit harder than you think. There is no airline service anymore and if you take a standard bus, you will have no way of knowing you have reached Hua Hin unless you read Thai, since only the towns closer to Bangkok have English signs. (A guardian angel bus conductor took great care of us, but I doubt this is a standard service.) Be sure to have your hotel information written in Thai and show it to the bus conductor when they take your ticket. Otherwise, another option is a private taxi, but expect a 2500 Baht taxi ride to or from Bangkok.

All in all this was a very comfortable place to stay and I would like to return when I can stay longer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank SeedFarmer
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2009

The best hotel we stayed in during our 3 weeks in Thailand. Away from the busy centre, you've got the beach below the hotel to your self.

Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple