“Better than being denied entry to Thailand. But only just.”

The Regency Hotel Hatyai
Ranked #74 of 96 Hotels in Hat Yai
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I never expected to visit Hat Yai. I travelled into Thailand on the overnight Butterworth - Bangkok train, but at the Thai frontier one of my friends was denied entry due to her passport not being accepted at all border crossings. We were thrown off the train late at night, and told to find a taxi to travel 50km to another border post, where we might have more luck.

After three hours, two taxis, one army checkpoint (checking for weapons smuggling in s-e Thailand) and numerous near-death experiences on unlit country roads in plastic Proton taxis, we were able to enter Thailand and made it as far as Hat Yai before realising we could neither catch up with the train nor make it to Bangkok that night.

We tried a few other hotels, and noted that the Regency was recommended in our Lonely Planet guide for it's "old world charm". If by "old world" you mean Russia in the 1970s, and if by "charm" you mean "decrepit" then that recommendation still stands.

The modern reception impressed us, and the room was cheap. But we were in the older of the two towers and the room was tired. It was reasonably clean, but only as far as we could tell with the old carpet and horrific seventies bathroom decor. The ceiling and walls were stained from water leaks, and the shower made more noise than a jet engine. The fixtures and fittings suggested we had been transported back in time, to a time when bedside tables in hotels had radios the size of televisions in them and when room service menus featured sketches of French chefs sniffing their pots. We were happy only with the Regency only because, after hours of thinking we might have our entire holiday cancelled due to a diplomatic impasse, we had been permitted to enter Thailand.

We left for Bangkok at 7am, after a bizarre Thai re-interpretation of a western breakfast. I'd have been happy with some Thai food, but after noticing the menu some fellow Chinese guests received, I can only presume the hotel patronises its guests into only eating food they think you want.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 3, 2010

we arrive at 7am in the morning on 1st Jan 2010, the receiption told us to come back at 10.00am because is fully book. when we are back at 11am, they told us come back at 2pm. and we did, they told us to come back at 4-5pm. (we have confirm the booking via travel agent,) we protest strongly, and we able to check in and to our disapointment, the room in in total mesh, we call via phone, there is no answering, we went to speak to the receiption, they are very cleverly and cunning in answering and refuse to give any answer regarding when the room will be ready. total unprofesional, The thailand tourism should look in to this to avoid tourist coming to hatyai.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2009

A wonderful reception area with helpful flunkies. Beyond that all was dreadful;- No English spoken, mouldy ceilings, stoneage shower, worn out linen and towels, unhelpful staff, the slowest checkout in history!!!!, faulty plumbing. Simply awful and they don't give a hoot.
Damn them!
Rick & Sheila Bevis.
FRANCE

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2009

heap hotel in centre of Hat Yai. Best thing about the hotel is it's central location. Bed was clean but decor was dated and old and in need of refurbishment. Towels were clean but threadbare, I had to go out and buy some. The reception and housekeeping staff understood no english but I found a very helpful bell boy who helped with our request to have the mini bar emptied in our room, as I have found when in Thailand we are always charged for items out of mini bars that we have not used. Hotel was very noisey during the night due to people constantly knocking on doors up and down the corridor. The swimming pool was disgusting in a deep green colour and looked filthy. I think that there are better hotels in the area, and will definately be trying another on our next vist.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I stayed in this hotel once, this hotel's reception look ok but the room is absolutely disgusting very very old, smelly, dirty carpet, horrible bathroom!! The rooms look nice and clean from this hotel's website but when you check it and enter the room "you will feel the pain"
I've been to Hat Yai many times and I've stay in most of the hotels there because every time I go there I try new hotel. Here are some of the hotels in Hat Yai that I recommend to stay and worth the money... Sakura Grand View Hotel about 15 minutes walk from the center of town. If you like big room this probably the right place for you but the hotel is a bit old the good thing is well maintenance! Internet connection is not that fast! The price is 850Baht with no breakfast.
If you want fast internet connection, VL Hotel is one of the best hotels to go to! its about 5 minutes to the center of town.Its a bit old but the room I stay was clean enough.Ask for room 1207 I stay before it was clean and quite comfortable.The price is 690Baht with no breakfast(add 100Baht more for breakfast per person)The service in this hotel is quite good consider how cheap the price is!There is a market called "Kim Yong market" nearby(less than 5 minutes walk) and many delicious food sold there and also many fruit stalls!!
Another fast internet connection hotel is "Hat Yai Holiday Hotel" 10-15 minutes walk from center of town.This hotel is good value for money 800 Baht with 2 breakfast and if you stay more thana few days you can ask for discount.The room is clean big bed and a big 29 inches TV .The only bad thing in this hotel is no bath tub only shower!!
For travellers like new and clean room I recommend "Mayflower Grande" Hotel right in the heart of Hat Yai city,the room is very modern,wooden floor and nice clean bathroom 89baht with no breakfast. Another clean and cosy hotel is "New Season Hotel" in the center of town, I like this place,the room is very cosy and clean.890Baht no B.F. All the hotels are free internet

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank kittymiow
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Reached hotel in the morning at 09:00 hrs with another friend. Took 2 rooms, able to get rooms next to each other.After checked into 4th floor, found out the both rooms are dark , when opened up the window, could see some constrcution going on outside.
The bathroom was not clean, water leaks everywhere, shower head problem (had to call reception twice, eventually the manager came up to look into it). Even it was fixed, but the water pressure was low, hot water was warm only. Called reception for some ice cubes, they don't even understand simple English, need to call the manager again to explain. Lift landing is dirty, even the lobby also as when you stepped in to the hotel, there was a stale smell, not sure where did it came from.
Since we had bought the room vouchers from agent, didn't bother much to change another hotel, check out 2 days later,but it was definetely a Truly" Memorable Experience".

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Raymond-KIpoh
Reviewed August 22, 2007

To me, this hotel is really terrible. We walked in this hotel on 18/8/2007 noon to ask for room rate, there was a lady wearing black coat (name will not be mantion because to my opinion she was trained to be like that) said room had 2 types of rates,TBht1300+ & 850+, we decided to take 4 cheaper rooms, but the reception said if have membership discount to TBht650 nett & free breakfast. We don't have member card, but reception said the card can be ready in 15 minate time, so I personally applied for the card & one of the friend decided to take more room, so, total became 5 rooms & don't want the free breakfast since all of us will know not to get up so early.
The room had some problems like hot water not hot enaugh, switch of th air condition control is broken, bath dub broken phone can not be used etc. , but actually these were not the worst. Half an hour later, I went down to the reception & ask for the card & the answer was not ready yet, a bad impression came into my mind was that this hotel is not honest. Never the less, we still staying for one night & will plan again on the next day.
Next morning, I went again for the card, this time the answer is "the card has to wait for 2 months to ready". I've got angry enaugh & called the whole group for check out. On the invoice we noticed that the amount was TBht1000.00 instead of TBht650.00, & again argued with the lady with black coat. Finally, we have to pay TBht 1000.00 per room.
We felt cheated & I am sure I will not stay in this hotel again since there are so many hotels in Hat Yat.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business