“High Deposit, average hotel”

The Regency Hotel Hatyai
Ranked #72 of 95 Hotels in Hat Yai
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I checked in for 2 room / 2 night at the rate of BHT 690 per room per night... The repceptionist , all of them no smilling face at all- first impression.... As my total cost should be only BHT 2780 but the receptionist verified my card for BHT 6000, ok then.... Apart from that keep by border pass for security... What the hell!!! Dont they trust their customers... The hotel also dont have wifi...
However the bellboys are very helfull and they offer almost everthing... Please think twice before choose this hotel... Check-in only where is no any other choice as the location is ok....

Room Tip: Ask for new wing if no other hotel... And ask other people to check in for you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Everything is in mess, it has yet to be clean up when we check-in to the room. Saw that the house keeper just replaced with new bed linen and remove the room odor by spraying some air refresher product. The room was old, humid and smell. Can't even step on the floor with bare feet. There are more better hotels around the same area. Try not to stay here even though the room rate is low.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank tieneit
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The outlook of this hotel look like quite nice, but the condition of this hotel is very bad, most of the facilities are running, just like no maintenance at all. So sad to see about it, i was told by my friend that this hotel was the best hotel in the town for quite some time. what happen to it? the location is so good and convenience to move to everywhere. but services of the staff not so bad. The condition of the swimming pool and the fitness center also terrible, please don't go even you got free time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank hen l
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We checked into this hotel only because all other decent hotels were fully booked. It looked nice from the outside and was in a central location directly opposite Lee Gardens Plaza and Centro. The lobby is also quite decent. However, once we got inside, it was a completely different story. The corridors were in a sad state, with mold growing on the walls and inadequate lighting, making it just a little bit creepy. Once we got into the rooms, it wasn't any better. Mold was growing from the ceiling as well, the toilets weren't clean, the bed was saggy and there were ants crawling all over the place. Also, the air-conditioning wasn't working well, and neither was the hot water. We paid for three nights at this place but checked out as soon as we could, as soon as a room in one of the other nearby hotels became available. I would strongly advise against ever checking into this hotel.

On a happier note, though, the bell boy was very polite and friendly, even though he was clearly overworked. We saw him on duty first thing in the morning, and late at night he was still on duty. He even brought up room service because there was nobody else to bring it up to our room. (coincidentally, room service took over one hour, just for one sandwich with soggy crisps and hot chocolate which was no longer hot by the time it arrived, simply because there was nobody to bring it up and the bell boy had to do it)

Also, another tip, some people who have been to Hat Yai years ago will tell you that you can just book a hotel at travel agents in the airport when you arrive. However, they are all gone, and you will have to take a taxi to the downtown area to find the travel agents. And the hotels fill up fast, especially during holidays.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank enochho
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I made a reservation at this hotel based off the pick/recommendation of Lonely Planet who had stated it was one of the better hotels in Hat Yai. What a joke!!! This hotel is a dump, a real dump. I had called and made a recommendation for a single standard room and checked in. The standard room was 895 baht and the deluxe was 1395.They asked for a 500 baht deposit for the "room key". I made my way to the elevator and right away saw that I was not going to be happy. The elevator doors kept closing on me before I could even get my bags into the elevator and the carpeting in the elevator appeared so soiled that it had never been cleaned.

I got off on the 6th floor and immediately was confronted with the most dirty and filthy hallway of any hotel I'd ever seen. The carpeting in the hallway had dirt everywhere, stains and the walls were also filthy. No or little hallway lighting. I tried the room card and it wouldn't work. The cleaning lady came over and she tried it (room 608 on the card) and she couldn't get it to work either. She also tried 609 and 606 and the card wouldn't work. She called down and they told her to have me come back down for a new card.

I had checked out several of the rooms which were open and knew right away I wasn't going to stay in any of the rooms on that wing of the hotel; they were absolutely filthy inside and I saw bugs crawling in the hallway and one room.

I went down to the front desk and told them I refused to stay in that wing because of how dirty and filthy it was. They said, oh you can pay more and stay in the other wing and the rooms are very clean. I said, wait a minute, you're saying that for 895 people have to pay for a room that is dirty but if they pay 500 baht more, they get a clean room. So I paid the extra (they now wanted another 1000 baht for a different key card).

The deluxe room was bigger and much cleaner, although I did see that the television screen hadn't been cleaned in weeks (I wrote clean me on it) and if you looked under the hot water tray and coffee cup trays, they hadn't been dusted there either as there was a thick layer of dirt/dust underneath. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all. Breakfast is not included either (they charge 140 baht for breakfast). It's just a very dirty hotel. Oh, and in the lobby, if you look up at the ceiling, there are all these dirt cobwebs everywhere. This hotel really needs a thorough cleaning.

Upon showering, I had no hot water in shower. And the bath was absolutely disgusting. The shower curtain had black soap mold all over the bottom about 8" from bottome on up of the curtain and appeared to have never been cleaned. Also, when I checked into the room, the safe was closed and locked; I called the front desk to get someone to come up and unlock it and it took 4 calls and the guy never could get it fixed. WiFi is not free; I had been told it was free in the lobby but it isn't; you must buy a wifi card.

Dirty, dirty, dirty hotel. I would never even consider staying at this hotel. I've stayed in many hotels in Thailand and all have always been very clean, except for this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't even consider staying at thi s hotel is the only advice I can offer.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ultrarunner
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Travelled with family, booked 4 rooms close to each other. Checked in at 7pm was quick & smooth. Nice grand lobby, but not so much for the room. The credit is on the room size & the glass window. Room furniture are all tired, electrical wire are out of the walls. Some of the room we've got have stains & peeling on toilet ceiling, moldy smell in the room, dusty carpet. Some electrical items not working anymore (e.g. kettle, bed side & standing lamp). Even the phone is not working, so i called up maintenance guy who happens to walked by & he repairs it instantly. If you call for hotel operator, front desk, housekeeping or anything, nobody will pick up. The pool is very deep & dangerous for children without supervision.
During check out, there was long queue. I guess their system require the cleaner to check every single item in the room prior letting you go. All guests are complaining & mad since they start charging and accused people of removing/stealing items. BEWARE: The glass bottle of complementary drinking water shall not be removed or they'll charge you. After almost 1 hr queue, it's finally our turn to get accused. They claim that one of our room has taken out the black file from the room. It was the old file with some brochures inside. My sister claim that the file was not even in her room at all during check in. Then the front desk asked us to go to the room and meet up with the cleaner so she can explain what & where the item was placed. So we went to the room and the cleaner shows us the file while speaking Thai, we got puzzled. Luckily my husband came & he can speak Thai since he travelled there a lot for business. The moment my husband came in, the cleaner got shocked to hear him speaking Thai. Suddenly the cleaner said, "oh, it's ok". So we went back downstairs, collect our passport & leave the hotel.

Room Tip: Check what is in the room prior check in & make sure it's there when you check out. Be sure...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LizaRios
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've done my fair share of traveling. This is by far on of the worst hotels I have been to. The lobby is the only thing that is maintained in this dump. The rooms were horrid. Stained sheets and blankets, mold in the bathroom, peeling paint and waterstains on the walls, and even electrical outlets removed from the walls and dangling with exposed wires.

You could not pay me to stay there again.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room: stay in another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple