The hotel is reasonably well placed (about 5 minutes from Odean and Lee Garden Plaza by tut-tut) in the wet-market area of town and the overall impression is that it’s somewhat grander than some of hotels which are closer to the town centre. The entrance and lobby area are spacious and nicely decorated and the staff very pleasant. Walk-in rates are OK, not much different from the internet, but it’s worth checking the net as at times this hotel has promotional rates at 599 baht per night which is considerably better than the usual 1,400. the hotel is easy to get to and as has ample parking in its own secure mutli-storey car park (free to guests and diners).
The rooms are quite nice, spacious and quiet and nicely decorated and furnished but they don’t really match the quality and impression that the lobby creates. They are getting somewhat dated and could do with a refurb before long IMHO, particularly the bathrooms which are a real let down, somewhat small, albeit functional, but really in need of renovation IMHO. The sink in mine was faulty and the taps loose and not well functioning. The bath and shower did not look very pleasant with exposed sealant all over the place. I’d advise checking the room you will be given before accepting as it seems some rooms are worse than others. One problem for me was that while the hotel has good free wifi, only one device can be logged in at any one time in a room. Not good if you have more than one smart-phone and / or laptop / tablet.
The hotel has a couple of restaurants and the rates include free breakfast for two served between 6:30 am and 10:00am. There is also a very nice, chic open-air bar area called ‘Shanko Hive’ which opened Jan 2013, which is really pleasant and has a very sophisticated feel to it. I think it must be one of the best chill-out lounges in Hat Yai. Drinks are a bit pricey but there is a lovely feel and atmosphere to the place with nice lighting and plush white leather chairs in the large covered area. It has a live band (so-so to be honest), good waitress service and serves some nice food. The hotel also hosts one of the two most popular discos in Hat Yai - ‘Nectar’ (the other being Sugar Beat), which gets busy even early and mid-week. The ability to just go up to your room from these places is well worth considering, especially if you can get the hotel at a good rate. It’s also close to what I think is the best BBQ in Hat Yai which is near the Big C.
Overall it was OK, I give it four stars because it is better than many of the very average hotels in Hat Yai. BUT, at the regular rates that this hotel charges I would also consider other similarly priced options such as the New Season hotel (same price roughly, newer and centrally located) and Sakura Grand View (rooms almost as nice and can often be had at walk-in price of 1,100 baht). An OK hotel but in need of some refurb to warrant the room rates IMO and unless being very close the bar / club or in that part of town is a priority I’d likely look for better places at the same price or places that are almost as good but cheaper. Getting it at a promo rate would make it a worthy hotel to consider.
+ Spacious, nicely decorated rooms albeit a bit dated
+ Comfortable beds with spare pillows in wardrobe
+ Has smoking and non-smoking rooms
+ Nice looking hotel with very grand lobby area
+ Onsite restaurants, bar and night-club
+ Easy to get to
+ Reasonably well located but not central
+ Free wifi (but only one device can be logged in at one time)
+ Ample secure onsite free parking
+ 2 free bottles water daily
+ Free breakfast
+ Enough lifts so there are no long waits
+ Friendly staff who speak good English
+ Some rooms have nice views over the hills around Hat Yai
- Bathrooms a real let down and badly in need of refurb
- Rooms somewhat dated with some better than others
- No room safe
- No tea / coffee facilities in rooms
- Air con OK but a bit noisy
- Old style CRT TVs in rooms with so-so picture quality in some cases
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hat Yai's Most Distinguished Landmark, the HANSA JB Hotel offers guests unrivalled service and standards. Hat Yai is the gateway to the South and the commercial capital of Southern Thailand. Our 430 rooms and suites are tastefully decorated with local design and fabrics which blend in with the hotel's architectural design. Our exclusive Club J.B. floors offer the very best standards available for the discerning traveller. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hansa JB Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.