“Steer Clear!”
Review of Hansa JB Hotel

Hansa JB Hotel
Ranked #67 of 95 Hotels in Hat Yai
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I were on our way to Krabi for the 3 Nation Charity Motorbike event and this hotel was one picked as a stopover hotel as it had massive car park space for over 1000 motorcycles that used the town of Hatyai, Thailand as a springboard to Krabi.
If you must stay at this hotel insist on getting the Main Tower...the rooms here are decent enough. The rooms at the Executive Tower isn't even fit to be branded any star status. Average-ly clean. The washroom is filthy. The taps don't work. The leak from the above washroom is evident. We thought it was only our room but when we checked with other motorcycle enthusiasts they complained about their rooms too. We decided to get out and asked for another room and was put into the Main Tower, which was not part of the package, so we paid the extra and got a pretty decent room.
Checking in was pleasant enough...the staff were pretty good. Breakfast spread was adequate. This establishment is in dire need of a major makeover. I would skip this hotel without hesitation!

Room Tip: If you must stay here....ask for rooms in the Main Tower. Avoid the Executive Tower at all costs...u...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Skaramoosh

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is an expensive hotel. The entrance and public areas give the impression of grandeur. But when you get to your room, it looks more like an old motel!
In the large basket in the bathroom (which may have at one point offered several complimentary soaps, shower gels and conditioners) sat just one tube of shampoo and shower gel.
The toilet reminded me of home in that I had to pump it at least twice in quick succession to get it to flush. After a few uses it started to leak. Just as well the bathroom had a drain.
I didn't use the bath/shower, but it looked as though it had seen better days.
Between the bed and the TV, some bright spark had attempted to iron their shirt on the floor, as there was a very clear iron burn in the now rather faded and dirty carpet.
There were no facilities for making tea or coffee.
The bed was comfy though! Not too hard.
An overpriced option for Hadyai (which is why we didn't have breakfast there), but not my choice at the time.
Would recommend if you're going there for a function or a private party - but not to stay if you're looking for luxury.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveladdict42
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were there for a wedding, otherwise we would have never gone to Hat Yai. Anyhow, if you are going to Hat Yai, you already know it's not a tourist city. With that said, the hotel is old and run down. The rooms are decent size but everything in it look as if it's from the 80's. The bathroom is moldy and smelly. There are stains on the bedsheets which makes you wondering if they are new sheets or the same as the last guest. The walls are really then, we were on the 10th floor and could still here the bass from the hotel club.

highlight- Hotel club, live band was pretty good

Food:
buffet lunch-not bad but not great
buffet breakfast- YUCK! only thing I enjoyed was toast.
room service- pad thai-decent
pad si ew-tasty

staff- nice but not much interaction to judge

side note- fellow wedding party guests complained of being ignored when requesting for toilet paper and other things.

overall- not the best but with the limited options, it's bearable for a night or two if you have no other options

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ninenine99
Reviewed August 24, 2012

There are two buildings of the hotel. I stayed in the old one (main wing) which I think the new one (executive wing) supposes to be much more better. The superior room that I have stayed in Aug 2012 is very old and smelly with poor condition of sanitary ware.

Anyway, the service mind of all staffs there is brilliant!! And for those who are Muslim, the breakfast there is halal and yummy!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Aeksaran W
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I am from America and my wife is from Hat Yai. We stayed at the JB for 5 nights in August, 2012. We also had the evening reception for our wedding in their ballroom. I have stayed in other hotels in Hat Yai before (Lee Garden -- which I would give one star; the place is kind of a dump), and a few other hotels. After my experience @ Lee Garden, I wasn't expecting much from the JB. I was very pleasantly surprised by the level of service, professionalism of the staff, and the quality of the facilities. This is a great hotel! It may not be a 5-Star, but I can tell you that as far as Hat Yai goes, this is the place to stay.

Everything from the moment we checked in until we checked out was perfect. Because we had our wedding reception here, they comped a suite to us one night (we were already paying to stay in the same suite). After our wedding day, they gave us a bottle of champaign, and made a beautiful arrangement using flower pedals on our bed.

If you've been married, you know that wedding planning and execution can be a nightmare. The staff the the JB, and especially Look Pla made our wedding planning and the event itself completely worry free. The JB catered to our 470+ guests with no effort, and provided a wonderful experience for all of our guests, and for our wedding day. Look Pla, as the wedding planner, consistently went above and beyond what was required and exceeded all of our expectations.

As an American, I'm used to American quality standards, which are very high. I am happy to report to you the the Hansa JB is a great hotel, with great staff, and great facilities. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough!

I can't give it 5 stars just because there are some attributes missing that would warrant a 5 star review. It's not a 5 star hotel. They don't claim to be a 5-star, or even want to. Hat Yai is not a market that would support the 5-Star prices that would go with a 5-Star hotel. The value for the money you'll spend, though, is something that I would give 5 stars to! Great place to stay. If you're in Hat Yai, this is where you want to stay if you're looking for a hotel experience that is similar to what you would get in America.

Thank you Hansa JB Hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a hotel that is on par with Western standards, the Hansa JB is the place for you to stay...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2012

From the moment of my arrival to my leaving for the airport there was nothing I did not like, except the TV remote( how petty is that). The reception desk was staffed with beautiful and very helpful ladies that spoke excellent English. The bellhop who showed me to my large room also spoke very good English and he was quite informative regarding the room and airport transfer. As I said the room was large and the bed comfortable. Everything was clean and the room had a nice view. The bathroom had everything I needed and the water pressure in the shower was very strong. The towels large and thick. The mini bar was well stocked. I thought the included breakfast was one of the best I've had in my travels because it offered a wide varieties of good foods that were well displayed. My eggs were done just right and the coffee tasted great. The hotel has a large pool, which I did not use and a business center which I did use. The business center could use one or two more computers for guests to use. My only regret was that I did not allow more time to spend in Hat Yai at the Hansa JB. Thank you Hansa JB for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Our family reserved five rooms at this hotel, early January 2012, for our grandson's wedding to a local girl. Both the wedding ceremony and the large reception were held at the hotel. The decorations at the ceremony and reception were so colourful with beautiful posters and blown up photographs of the bride and groom. The food was the best Chinese, plentiful and delicious. The music and entertainment was enjoyed by all.
Now as for the accommodation, we had five superior rooms on the eighth floor. We all agreed that while the furnishings were showing signs of ageing, the rooms were clean and comfortable and the bathrooms quite acceptable. This has been a class hotel in its time, with a luxurious looking reception and bar/entertaiment area where we enjoyed great service with a smile from all the staff. There was a pianist and singer performing in this area each evening after 7pm.
The swimming pool is large and clean although the lounges and tables on the surrounds are in need of upgrading. There was an adequate supply of clean towels at the adjoining gym and sauna area.
The tuk tuks, which serve all of the main town and markets, cost three Australian dollars(100 Bahts) for any trip around the city, including from the main railway station.
At breakfast the chef would cook fresh scrambled egg or omelettes to your requirements.. The fried eggs were being kept warm on a tray(we didn't fancy them). They had a tray of sausages and chicken-bacon. Asian food was available. It was the best bargain in meals anywhere we have stayed, at five dollars( 150 bahts) all you could eat per person.
A very good stay enjoyed by all.

Room Tip: Our superior rooms on eighth floor were quite accepable to all. They were quiet and overlooked the c...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family