“Centraal maar rustig”

Ranked #14 of 172 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Centraal maar rustig”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great yard to wake up in with good breakfast! Rooms are simple and clean. I arrived very early in the morning and they instantly made a room for me, good to take a shower after a long nightly busride!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The category guesthouse is quite appropriate for this particular setting, it doesn't fit into any categories of inn nor hotel. It is a house, an extended house, with multiple rooms in a back alley. So, words of warning, it is NOT easy to find. Fear not, the local taxi drivers will take you there but you do have to memorize how to get back to it. It is located in a back alley like a "L" shape, any 10-people van or larger sized vehicle will have a hard time to make U-turns out.

Because it is a modified house, the front office, accounting dept, supply room and the computer center are all jam-packed into a 100 sq. ft area next to the kitchen. Got that?

When I first arrived, a lady in her 50s came out from the kitchen to greet me. She had trouble to look up the information from booking.com, took her a good 20 minutes to finally agree to give me the key to my room. Whee..

The room I got was a single fan room, the floor fan made a lot of noises when I put it into swinging mode, so I had it in the fixed position the whole night. Thanks to the weather in Chiang Rai which is much cooler than Bangkok, this tiny little fan is still a valuable surviving tool.

One nice thing about this guesthouse is it provides a private bathroom instead of shared bathroom. The room itself is moderately clean and decent.

I did not use the food service in this home setting house. Still not sure what kind of food the 50-some-year-old lady would provide, but apparently some guests thought it was OK (2 of the guests were in the same tour group we ended up having).

Since this location is so tiny, the only open area is the front yard (or backyard) they have a few roadside cafe type tables whereas the guests not in a hurry are either reading, smoking or chatting there.

What impresses me most are 2 things, one I like and one I don't.

What I like most is the owner, a Thai lady in her 40s (I guess, but I am not good in guessing women's age) she is an expert in PR. When she is not busy with the bills and accounting or payments, she always spend time outside talking to the guests. Even though I spent only 2 days at this guesthouse, every time I ran into her, she always had group of audience listening to her talking. She was quite charismatic in drawing the guests attention to. The way she talked was very calm and convincing, not the gossip type blah blah blah. I was surprise to see so many foreigners, men and women, sitting patiently and chatting with her all the time. If she quits this job, make sure some Public Relations firms grab her right away.

The prices are reasonable at this guesthouse, still, I prefer an air conditioned room instead of fan. However, the only thing I don't like is this guest house is cash transaction only. I thought I paid for it on the web, but took me quite awhile and several rounds of emails with booking.com to find out this one is cash-only and no other options.

Since I was near the end of my trip in Thailand, my cash situation was kind of tight. If it could be charged to my credit card would enable me with more rooms in food and shopping. But I dont blame them for they are merely a B&B type institute, what do you expect?

After all, the experience with this guest house is a good one if you don't have to bargain with that lady from the kitchen but with the PR expert.

Room Tip: Air conditioned room is better
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here on april 2012, I was alone.
The guest house i located in a central position in chiang rai and in silent courtyard so no noise at all! Close to bus station and 5 minutes walk from night market, clse to other bars on the street.
The guesthouse has a good and pleasant garden where you can have a breakfast or drink something in the night. This garden is an opportunity to meet and talk with other guest if you are alone.
My room was very big but with no hotshower. This was not a problem because in april is very hot. I saw another room smaller and with hotshower.
The room was clean but you have to aks to clean when you need.
The staff was very kind, wifi is available.
I paid 300b per day for room with a double bed, fan, private bathroom and no hotshower.
I did not book the room, it was low season but my room was the last one for 1 person.
I suggest to book in advance if you want to stay there during high season.

I spent 3 days and everything was ok.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank daquaro
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Good location. Is a five minute walk from the Night Bazaar and the bus station. The place is quiet and calm. The rooms are large. Wi Fi only in the reception area. A lot of mosquitoes, but the doors and windows have mosquito nets. In high season it is necessary to book in advance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent two nights here in a double room with a fan, which was fine for December. The room was quite small and dark - fine for one person, but would have been a squeeze for two. The service was quite impersonal - I had to visit a guest house back up th lane to arrange activities and get information. It was a quiet guest house, so for single travelers not so easy to meet and socialize. The best thing about it is th location - 5 minutes to the night market, bus station, restaurants, internet cafe, etc which makes this place a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mizzSK
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Simple rooms around pleasant shady garden with outdoor seating, a good place to chat with other travellers. Easy stroll to all amenities but no traffic noise, only birdsong and butterflies. For 300b my room was clean and comfy for one, but 2 might find it cramped. Very good breakfast in the sunshine. I found all the staff always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Location was excellent and the manager/owner and staff were very willing, accommodating and friendly.

At 400b/ night we considered this 100 too much when compared with what we have experienced elsewhere.

The good
location near the clock tower which is an excellent ref point for navigation.

Quiet although that depended on the other guests

The Bad
I am sorry to say that our bed caused itching and in the mornings had been bitten. We did express our concern and cleaning bedding
was provided immediately. However the problem was the old and soiled mattress.

Hot water supply depended on who was up first

Services
We did not eat their breakfast but many did.
Wifi had a small disruption of service but TOT related

This appeared to be a popular place so take my experience along
with others