“Expensive budget accommodation with bed itch”

Baan Bua Guesthouse
Ranked #13 of 184 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Location was excellent and the manager/owner and staff were very willing, accommodating and friendly.

At 400b/ night we considered this 100 too much when compared with what we have experienced elsewhere.

The good
location near the clock tower which is an excellent ref point for navigation.

Quiet although that depended on the other guests

The Bad
I am sorry to say that our bed caused itching and in the mornings had been bitten. We did express our concern and cleaning bedding
was provided immediately. However the problem was the old and soiled mattress.

Hot water supply depended on who was up first

Services
We did not eat their breakfast but many did.
Wifi had a small disruption of service but TOT related

This appeared to be a popular place so take my experience along
with others

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This guesthouse is in a quiet location, but is still close to all of the downtown attractions. the clock is close, and both the night market and the Sunday walking market are just a stone's throw away. The owner is very helpful and wonderful, and the fried rice is excellent. The guesthouse has a nice garden to relax in, and wifi.

Room Tip: The closer the room to the main office, the better your wifi reception will be
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

After a few tries elsewhere, we stumbled across Baan Bua and secured a double air con room. This was very spacious and comfortable but due to our tight budget, we moved to a smaller fan double for our remaining stay - which was perfectly suitable. The owner is a lovely lady, always making polite conversation and has very good communication skills. The coffee is good, nice to sit drinking a cup in the morning listening to the birds and spotting the blue lizards climbing the trees. On our stay there were single travellers, couples and families all staying at Baan Bua which added to the atmosphere. I'd recommend the white temple and hill tribe museum - to admire the tribal culture from afar. We ate most nights at a cage called Ti Amo which has amazing foods Thai and western - try the banana and chocolate shakes. All in all a great guest house and area to stay on for a few days.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend chose to stay here as it was a recommended guesthouse in the latest edition of Lonely Planet South East Asia on a Shoestring.
On arrival the lady seemed nice but once we'd paid for our 3nights she didn't really seem interested any more and at times came across quite rude. I've given her the benefit of the doubt as she was 7-8months pregnant but I'm not sure this totally excuses her attitude.
The room was big but the sheets were stained and we had another bed in the room with us which again was covered in stains. There was no tv and the bathroom was average. We paid 400baht a night to stay with a fan room - we've had better for the same and less.
During the first night I woke up to feel something quite big (for a bug) crawling on my arm, I was too scared to turn on the light so just killed it. There was a pop when I squashed it and in the morning when we woke the sheets where I'd squashed the bug had quite a large patch of blood on. I then noticed on my boyfriends back what looked like a rash at first but he complained of it being itchy. After the second night the bites had spread across the top of his back, shoulders and down his upper arms. We suspected bed bugs so had a good search of the sheets and low and behold we found some!
We got our sheets changed but it didn't seem to make a difference as he had more bites the next morning and I'd also got a few now too. This is the first time in our 9weeks of travelling we've had a bed bug problem.
I would advise staying somewhere else, there are plenty of other options and it seems that every Lonely Planet recommendation we stay at, these are always poorer quality than anything we find ourselves.
The only good thing about this place is there's a great bookshop called Orn's bookshop just around the corner.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank 1hel2dan3ig4hosk
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed here as a solo traveller for six nights. The bonus to me was the central but quiet location at the end of a backlane, yet only one minute away from the bars and restaurants on the main street. The night market is about 6 minutes away. Pleasant seating in the tropical garden, where you can meet other travellers, but beware the mosquitos in the evenings. They have good breakfasts and drinks can be bought until 11pm. Wifi is available.
The rooms are quite large, with basic furniture, mine had 3 beds in it. Some rooms have airconditioning, some only ceiling fans. I didn't encounter any mosquitos inside. Bathroom and toilet could use more cleaning, but was adequate when compared with similar guest houses. The room cleaning and fresh sheets happened "on demand" in my case.
The owner picked me from the airport in the evening for 200 Baht. Taxis can be hard to come by at certain times, as only metered taxis are allowed to pick-up passengers inside the airport area. Some people resorted to walk to the road outside the airport in the hope of finding a taxi or tuktuk.
I was also given good advise about various day trips and the lady organised a mountain trekking tour.

Room Tip: You don't need the aircon during the November to March season, unless you want to sleep during t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ramon_S255103
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Overall, this hostel was fine and as far as budget travel goes, is completely acceptable. However, with the abundance of budget places to stay in this area as well as even further south in the slightly more pricy Chiang Mai, there are other places available for the same price that have more to offer.

The room was a decent size, but the general feeling of the place was that it was a bit run down. The sheets, although clean, were stained and the blanket on the bed was pretty shoddy. The bathroom was clean as well, just a lot of wear and tear. Also, the wifi was not very reliable.

The woman that was in charge was at bit slow and seemed confused when we arrived. It seemed like it went beyond a language barrier. However, she did let us keep our bags in the office after we had checked out so we could explore the city before leaving without having to lug around all our stuff.

Overall, there is nothing horrible I would say about this place, but if you book early, you may want to spend a few extra dollars for someplace a bit more updated or maintained.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caileigh P
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spacious rooms, very friendly staff, good breakfasts, free internet and close to bars and restaurants. What more can you ask for? Oh yes - great rates. They can also organise tours. We did the river boat ride to the elephant camp. Great fun.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closest to office for best Wifi reception.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends