Phowadol Resort and Spa
$27
$171
$96
Agoda.com
All reviewsindividual cottagesseparate buildingtuk tukroom was comfortable and cleanbeautiful groundsnight marketthrough agodamini barthai stylebreakfast was includedquiet areaswimming poolstayed for nightsvery nice hoteltourbungalowthailand
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been in this hotel from January 31 to February 08 th 2013. A magnificent hotel that gets married it in the fantastic nature of Thailand's north. I loved to take a seat every morning in the patio of my cottage n.401, and to breathe the clean and fresh air that surrounded me; to observe the workers that daily took care of the green that surrounded us.Good service, personal very polite; I glorify the center fitness with annexed the sauna and the jacuzzi.Nice swimming pool.I have not been able to use the Bodhi Tree spa, and I regret of it.The restaurant offers good Thai dishes, that like me too much, and the only negativity has almost been the absence of wifi in room. But has not been a problem for me, because I have loved to enjoy the nature that this splendid hotel has offered me. hak for everything. Alfredo Perillo

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alfredo2811
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just a great hotel, considering the price and the service of it. Got room in the main bilding and great bongalows. The hotel provides a transfer, both ways, to the center of the city until 00h00 for free.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mojo666
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and do not even know where to begin...

When a hotel states that they have free WI-FI in the rooms, in my world that means that they have working WI-Fi in the hotel rooms, I guess this is not the case at the Phowadol.

The hotel itself has an interesting configuration with two lobbies, one if you are with a tour group with separate facilities and one with a tropical styled lobbey that is open aired. The two are located across a ditch from one another with no bride that you have to walk around to me to send the clear message you are not really a guest. I can accept that tour groups are treated differently however... I do not think that a hotel that claims to be a 4+ star resort can have a staff with such limited english skills that it is almost impossible to speak to them. I do not expect everyone to be fluent, but customer facing staff should be able to address a guest, however I will even overlook that in this review.

This hotel is located way outside of town, like 2-3 miles, along a road that is best described as country or rural. So you must use transportation to get into town, the problem is the hotel tries to force you to take a tuk-tuk at the rate of 80 baht per passenger be direction so 320 baht for a couple to get into town and then back to the hotel. Having come directly from Bangkok I knew that this was way overpriced so I decided I would take a cab for 40 baht for as many passengers as I wanted each way or 80 baht at the most. I asked the staff to call a cab for me and was handed a telephone number for a cab company. When I was finally able to convey that I did not have international phone service they reluctantly called (after trying to convine me to take the tuk-tuk), They dialed the number and handed me the phone to a man that clearly spoke to no english. When I asked one of the staff to to tell the driver what I needed I was given an expression like it was an inconvenience and how dare I not take the overpriced tuk-tuk. With a cab arriving I was off into town for exploring.

The rooms are nice, dark, so I hope you don't plan on reading, but are comfortable and have all of the amenities that you would generally expect. The minibar items where way overpriced by Thai standards compared to all of the other hotels that I stayed at so I would buy items in town and then bring them back to your room.

The breakfast was edible, but unimpressive although free. I ate at the restuart the first night and the cost is about three times what you would expect to pay in the city and bland, so it is well worth the cab ride to get better food.

The second night our group decided to meet for drinks at one of the few bars on the property. There are two lounges that open a 5 PM. However, even though the doors are open no one is there to serve you. Four employees saw our group enter the lounge, sit down and wait. The Thai employees continued to look at us occasionally and after about 20 minutes decided it may be time to help us. The drinks were expensive. once again about 3 times what you would expect to pay in a similar property. In addition judging by the condition of the bar, I think it is more of a selling point for the property other than someplace they expect guests to go as a limited (very) amount of liquor and mixers was available so most drinks could not be made.

Spa Services are ridiculously overpriced as well.

If you want to see the city, this is not the hotel for you as it is located out of town and charges you as if you were staying at a five star property without the pampering. I believe that this hotel may be have been de-branded as when I booked my trip I seem to recall it being part of the 'Starwood" group under another name.

There are so many other places that would be better to stay at with staff that would actually treat you well.

Room Tip: A good room can be had by avoiding this property and choosing another location.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Edward N
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The hotel is a great place for what we paid, room was nice, clean and comfortable. Location is a little bit far from the city and need about 15 minutes drive.

Front Office staff are friendly and helpful, we was always satisfied when we speaking with them.

At the hotel’s restaurant, breakfast was bad with limited selection of items i.e. fruit bruised and going bad and coffee for breakfast is undrinkable. Staffs at the restaurant are unfriendly and not interactive with guests, so level of customer service was relatively poor. They really need to improve the service for guests and have more knowledge about hospitality.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a big number of family...then choose to stay in villa instead of room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nott_chaiwat
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was a real surprice resort a few km's away from downtown Chiang Rai. Enormeous sala (open building) , where the reception area is. Very friendly staff, electric cars to bring you and your luggage to the bungalows. All bungalows are comfortable and have all amenities. Gardens are beautifull. The swimming pool is quite large, but away in a corner from the resort. The fitness room was outdated.
Also the restaurant is at the entrance corner. The food was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends