“Beautiful pool, very clean”

Laluna Hotel and Resort
Ranked #8 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We had a superior room which was in a bungalow surrounding the pool area. The pool and surrounding plants and trees are beautiful, very lush garden setting. Very clean with a good buffet style breakfast. Hotel located out of town so a Tuk Tuk is required to get to town,there were always some waiting at the gate to the resort. Room had a safe and small fridge and flat screen TV with nice dark wood floors and king sized bed, it was very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We booked this hotel with trepidation due to some of the earlier reviews but were glad that we did. We really liked this hotel apart from a few quirky issues.

It is not in the centre of town but only a short tuk tuk ride away which is not too expensive. We found not that much to do in Chiang Rai so the swimming pool was excellent to relax round. Sleeping at night was restful due to the fact we were out of town.

The bungalow type rooms are really spacious with comfortable beds,a large TV and a very spacious bathroom. The rooms were also exceptionally clean and the internet service was very quick. We thought the towels provided were quite small though.

We found the staff very helpful at reception and in the dining room where we ate breakfast each morning and dinner on one evening. Prices were higher than outside the hotel but not too bad, the quality of the food was very good. We were a bit bemused that you had to collect a breakfast coupon each morning from reception before going into breakfast and found that a little bureaucratic.

All in all a good hotel and value for money. We would stay again.

1  Thank makinupforlosttime
Reviewed November 23, 2011

After a 2 day trek in the mountain, we were looking for a nice play to stay and rest, with a swimming pool to have a swim. As this hotel was well rated on different sources, we booked a room with Swimming pool view.
We loved the place. It's not one of this high building, as every room are on ground floor, and you access them thanks to nice path, full of plants and flowers. Very nice sceenery!
The room was huge, king size bed!!, very clean, modern and calm.
Staff was nice and very helpful, always ready to help!
Breakfast is just fantatic and so much choice that 2 breakfasts was not enought to taste everything.
We also had diner in the hotel restaurant and it was great! Probably a bit more expensive from what you can find down town but very tasty!
Wifi in the room was just great. Also big flat screen but didn't watch TV as I saw sleeping at the swimming pool!

------------------------------------------------

Après un trek de 2 jours dans les montagnes, nous cherchions un hotel tout confort pour nous reposer une journée. C'est pour cela que nous avons choisi le Laluna.
Les chambres, desservies par de jolis chemins aux milles plantes et fleurs, sont immenses et proposent de superbes prestations telles que : lit king size (2m), Ecran plat immense, frigo, salle de bain moderne et agréable, serviette peignoirs, placard.... Le tout pour un prix tout à fait abordable (2300THB ou 55€, PDJ compris pour 2).

Reviewed November 16, 2011

I paid extra to reserve a poolside room. On arrival, check in was efficient and I was then led to my room. On querying the ''poolside' it was explained that if I stood outside my room and craned my neck to the left I would catch a glimpse of the pool. Unfortunately my room was also on the main thoroughfare for all staff arriving and departing so constant traffic.

The room was smaller than the impression given on the website but, in fairness, was reasonably comfortable although I don't think the washbasin tap had been cleaned for a number of weeks.

I took a late lunch on the first day in the restaurant. After finally tracking down a waiter I placed my order. They asked if I would like rice to which I agreed. The rice never turned up although was there on my bill.

The following morning I went for breakfast and, after letting 2 waiters know that was my purpose, finally realised that breakfast was actually served in another area. Food & drink was incredibly over-priced for the area with the result that the bar & restaurant were devoid of customers.

Although internet was available, it was very expensive.

I would imagine that with more hands on management, Laluna could improve overnight. However, there was never a manager in sight and it seemed the staff were all left to struggle along on their own. Although willing, they lacked any form of direction.

Wouldn't recommend unless the management changed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tigoni1
Reviewed November 14, 2011

It was our first trip to Chiang Rai. And this hotel is one of the top list for this city.
So, we decided to stay at this hotel for a night.

When we arrived this hotel we found that this hotel is not a big building like other hotel.
It is a big hotel with many little huts which surrounded with plants and trees.

We walked from the big lobby through their walk way to our room/hut. There are alot of flowers.
My feeling was like going into a little oasis. In the middle of this oasis, they have a big swimming pool too.
Everthing looked quite nice.

Inside the room/hut, there is a big LCD screen, bath room with hot shower, big refridgerator and beds with a lot of pillows.
We had a good sleep in our room. only one poor thing is WiFi signal.

It was a good experience to stay at the hotel with greenery in the heart of the city. If you plan your next trip to Chiang Rai. This hotel could be the good one on your list.

Have a nice day!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joelity
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed 1 night. Booked via booking.com : 1400bt for standard room, garden view, including breakfast (advance payment and NO refund after cancellation). You can make a reservation for the same room for 2800bt but including cancelation possibility with refund.
Resort is located just north of old Chiang Rai Airport, 1.6km (1mile) from night market and central busstation.
The resort is in a remarkable good condition : I never expected such a clean and florissant hotel for such a bargainprice, despite a few “dark sides” ! The large room (35m²) was comfortable, very clean, and quiet at night. Excellent bed. Good and silent airco, large flat screen TV. Bathroom large and clean, shower, no bath. Complimentary : free Wifi. No free coffee/thee. Good and clean bed, 2 pillows (hard en soft). All rooms are in separate bungalows, 2 rooms per bungalow; built in a lush garden.
Large and clean swimming pool also in lush garden, deckchairs with cushions.
Very good breakfast buffet, outside or aircon inside. Linen tablesheets and napkins.
Conclussion : if you pay the advance payment rate, then you have an excellent deal (but if you have to cancel your stay, you loose your money) … if you pay 2800bt you can probably find some better deals in Chiang Rai.

2  Thank ludovicvn
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My room is spacious as is the bathroom. The position is excellent and the layout is very relaxing. Free wi fi is a big bonus, Regrettably the service is extremely off hand particularly in the bar and restaurant.The staff there need a lesson in customer relations.
In one 30 minute period I saw a customer handed the change that belonged to another customer, a different person served another persons meal and a couple wait for 30 minutes to be served. This while there were a total of 9 customers in the restaurant and 4 waitresses.
The reception staff should be made to stand when approached by a guest. Presently there appears to be an attitude of "This person is interrupting what I am doing!" I have just returned from resorts in Bali and Phuket. That attitude was not to be seen there.
To their credit they invite customer comments. They will get one from me.
With some staff training this place has potential!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo