“efficient but a bit boring”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Wiang Inn Hotel

Wiang Inn Hotel
Ranked #13 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Wolverhampton, UK
“efficient but a bit boring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Wiang Inn is very conveniently situated for the the city centre and, if you are going further, taxis and tuk tuks are available on the road outside; and in an office off the lobby is a pleasant and efficient tour company. Generally the English spoken by the staff is limited and, sometimes, barely adequate. The restaurant works efficiently and its prices are quite reasonable. The buffet breakfast works quite well, with not a large selection and nothing in the cold meats and cheeses line which some Europeans would expect. The swimming pool looks nice and clean. The hotel seems sometimes to be said to be non-smoking but in fact there is a whole smoking floor - and you should specify this if you want it when you book. It seems that the room are undergoing refurbishment but the one I was in had not be done over. It was a decent size, perfectly adequate, very clean, but looking tired. (It was also fifty yards along the corridor from the lift, with no bicycles provided). The hotel seems to have lots of coach parties but they, and more, easily disappear into the dull anonymity of the whole hotel. It is a perfectly good place to stay.

Room Tip: The second floor contains smoking rooms. Some rooms are a long way from the lift, so 301 is near th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Wulfruna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Recife, PE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Wiang Inn is a good choice for those in Chiang Rai for a day or two, particularly those who have not been there before. It is clean and comfortable, and many of the rooms appear to have been renovated recently. Breakfast is decent with a good range of Western and Asian fare. There is a small pool that is good when the weather is hot.

One of the biggest advantages for those so inclined is its proximity the to Night Market and several eating establishments. It is only about a 5 minute walk away.

For those not inclined to visit the market or venture out in the evening, there are many other good options in town as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RobbNYC
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013. Staffs are very nice and helpful. The room is very clean, facilities are very good, but wi-fi in room is very weak or no signal. Very close to bus station and night baazar.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Thaagoon A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and at the price it was good value for money. The general staff were friendly but front desk left a lot to be desired. I needed a taxi to go to golf and was given the phone number by desk staff member and told to ring myself. Language barriers with the call centre meant going outside and hailing a tuk tuk. On day of departure I booked a taxi to the airport with a desk staff member ( he could do it but I pay him 250 Baht) I said it was expensive but figured I would pay for the convenience. I reported to the desk to check out and enquired about my taxi and he replied ( laughing the way Thai's do when they make a mistake)"i forgot". I will call now for you... Cost 300 baht. He must have also forgotten his previous quote. I stormed out, hailed a tuk tuk and made it to the aorport on time. I will contact the hotel manager because it left a sour taste after an otherwise good stay.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Johneevegas
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

At first I was a bit worried because reviewers mentioned the ongoing renovations of the 2nd and the 3rd floor. We had a nice twin room on the 5th floor and there was hardly any noise during the day. The carpets in the rooms and the isles kept the noise Level very low at night. Only early in the Mornings staff or roommates were noisy in front of our door.
Over all a very good 4 night stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back towards the Swimming pool or the parking lot are very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank canyon747
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 9 days while I was doing some volunteer work at an orphanage. The hotel location is very handy as it is just around the corner from the night market, it is only a couple of blocks from the gold large clock (main landmark, center of town).

The lobby is nice, they are in the process of renovating the rooms, the one I was in was renovated and felt fresh. The pool area is tired looking.

I booked the room through a discount website and found then the room rate was reasonable and it included a buffet breakfast (both Asian and Western food). However I was a little frustrated with the extra's they charged. Each day I needed a taxi to go to the orphanage, I asked them to call a taxi and I had the name of the place written down so they could explain on the phone were I needed to go. They charged 7bht (.50 New Zealand) each time, total $5.00. They have Wifi in the lobby but it was really slow and didn't work half the time, so I ended up using their computer in the business center and they charge 100 bht per hour, even if just using the computer and not the internet, which I needed a couple of times to prepare items for the next day. I used it for about an hour a day and it ended up costing me over $45.00 NZ, which I think is a lot as most hotels do not charge you for it.

I have travelled a lot through Asia for both holidays and business, and one thing that always impresses me is the high level of service and the politeness of the staff. I was very disappointed with the service at the hotel. Every morning I had breakfast there, there were at least four staff just standing around, only once I was greeted at the door and shown to my seat. I usually had to approach the staff and give them my voucher. They don't clear your plate away or come around to top up your coffee or tea, doing such small things can make a difference instead of just standing around. Due to the poor service I did not bother to have dinner there each evening.

It was very rare any of the staff greet you, 90% of the time I would say "Good Morning / evening" then they would look up and greet you. There was no friendliness when they assist you. In the evenings the guy was wearing a headset and watching something on the computer and you feel like you are disturbing him when I wanted to purchase an internet voucher.
The first time I took the taxi to the orphanage the driver could not speak English so I asked the Bellman to ask how much as it was just a little out of town. They had a conversation and then the Bellman told me the rate, which I agreed to. The next day I took the taxi and the driver used the meter and it was half the price of what I paid the day before. I was so disappointed as I rely on the Bellman to assist so I don't get taken advantage of. The next day when I questioned him about it he just shrugged his shoulders. After a couple of days the service of the Bellman improved but I think that was because I was giving them a good tip.
I filled in my comment card when I left and explained the hotel has a lot of good things to offer but they really fall down on the customer service, yet it is such an inexpensive thing to fix. I did receive an apology email but was surprised as my name was on the form and on the room booking and it is a female name but when they sent the apology they wrote "Dear Sir", which the apology lost it's impact, it would have been nice to have used my name or a least got the sex right.
If you are looking for a reasonable price, clean place to stay that is centrally located it is an okay place but don't have any expectation on service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Barbara K
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Really mixed feelings about this hotel. We stopped here for three night while sight seeing in the area. The hotel is a 4 star and is one of the biggest in town. The hotel is nice and rooms really big with ok decor. Bad bits : would of been nice to be told about the work going on at the hotel , Was noisy at times and for the price we was paying very annoying ! Bathrooms are very dated and even thou clean very much dark and muggy. Good bits: good location in town, nice simple but clean pool and here the most important ... Staff and manger ... Amazing, polite and funny. Always took the time to smile and talk if needed. Really did stop this rating from from being a three star over four.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends