“Nice older hotel that has a personality”

Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great older and very well maintained property that has a lot of character with the well groomed grounds and the older feel. Great views from the room we had looking down on the river. It was great to see the fishing boats and local river traffic when we woke up in the morning. I short walk to the city and all the food was just excellent. Staff I felt where very good and friendly and provided great service. Interesting that this is the most rural hotel location in our Thailand trip and an older property but it had the best internet beating out two places we stayed in Bangkok (15 megabit connection speeds which is pretty amazing all things considered)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
DICR M, General Manager at Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Chris P,

Thank you very much for leaving your comment on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable experience and it will be our pleasure to share your kind comments with all our team members.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. Thank you again for selecting Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai.

There are newer reviews for Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We have staid in this hotel on a number of occasion over the last 10 years, and very little has changed over this time.
The rooms are nicely done with loverly views over the river. The only down side to the rooms is still the showers which have a nasty habit of changing temperature on you during you shower.
However the service is very friendly, the food excellent and there is a huge pool.
The location is a 15 minute walk from the night market or 80 baht by tuk tuk.
If you fancy taking it easy for a day you can hire a car plus driver for 2500 baht plus petrol. He will take you any where you want to go.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank International91
DICR M, General Manager at Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear International91,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on this website. We always appreciate receiving quest comments so that we strive to maintain the highest standard of service for our guests.

I do acknowledge your comments regarding the room and our service. Please rest assured that your raising issues have taken action with all concerned staff and management to improve our standard of service. Moreover, the renovation project is now under our management discuss. Again, we do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

All staff and management team sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My superior room had magnificent views over the grounds, pool and countryside beyond. The bathroom was top notch as was the room and its furnishings. The staff were efficient and helpful. They organised my requirements as I had asked. Of course one should use simple standard English. Orientals would not say to you "Sorry, I don't understand," this would mean losing face which is definitely a no-no in their culture. I had to pull up an Australian woman who was quite agitated at a waitress for not understanding her when she wanted "a top up" for her drink. One's bedding is turned down in the late afternoon and a bowl of fruit is provided. My laundry was returned to me within 3 hours, some record. On two evenings I well known international company had a reunion/dinner on the lawns outside my room. The music and celebrations shut down thoughtfully by 11pm. My only reservation was the quality of the restaurant foods. For such an establishment the dishes were somewhat mediocre - just room for improvement here. But I would certainly recommend this hotel for price, quality and tranquillity.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a superior room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear irobertson14,

I do acknowledge your comments regarding the room and our service. Please rest assured that your raising issues have taken action with all concerned staff and management to improve our standard of service. Moreover, the renovation project is now under our management discussion.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We think at one time this was probably a good hotel but lack of investment in the building and the people has let it slide. Rooms are very tired and in need of refurbishing. Staff are not up to the level of a good hotel either. There are better hotels in town and this hotel is not convenient unless you have a car.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
DICR M, General Manager at Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Miguel B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to learn that our hotel and staff did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your raising issues have taken action with all concerned staff and management to improve our standard of service. Moreover, the renovation project is now under our management team discuss. Again, I do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

All staff and management were most pleased to be at your service and we hope you will give us an opportunity of regaining your confidence in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I found that a number of reviewers were right when I stayed for 1 night at the hotel. Yes, the grounds, the Lobby, including the Organic garden are great. But the rooms really need to be spruced up - actually needs to be renovated, and because of that, was not very clean even. I was not happy with the bathroom and the carpets, since they did not seem to be cleaned very well.

The room that we checked in had a stale cigarette odour, and the hotel opened the window for us, and sprayed the carpets - however, they do need to make sure that the rooms are thoroughly smoke-free when the next guest arrives.

Their service in the restaurant has a lot to be desired. We went there for dinner, and breakfast, and the service was quite poor. However, the breakfast spread was good. We stayed there, since it was only for 1 night - anything longer, I would have found another hotel.

Since it was part of a private tour, I am thinking, that they are offering discounts to tour guides due to their room conditions, which, I believe they know is not good.
Would like to walk the grounds, but not stay in their rooms - if that is possible the next time...

Ofcourse, the view of the river from your room is good, so that was the one saving grace.

Room Tip: Good for a one night stay. Ask for a river view room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
DICR M, General Manager at Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Antaara,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Many times I stayed here. Because of the good service I will stay here again although the old hotel. I found that the service is very different sometime bad sometime good such as the welcome drink sometime they serve. So in this weekend i decide for going to stay again .Normally I booked by myself though the website .But for next visit I had call them to hotel reception they are very impolite to talk with me and very hurry to try hang off my phone.So I will try another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
DICR M, General Manager at Dusit Island Resort Chiang Rai, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Smith344,

We are sorry to learn that our service especially by phone, did not meet your expectations. Your comments on the problems you experienced have been well noted. Please rest assured that your raising issues have taken action with all concerned staff and management to improve our standard of service. Again, we do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I often travel to Chiang Rai for business trip. I spent 6 times staying here since Jul 2013 and latest Jan 2014. The hotel located on the island surrounded by Kok river (brown color river). The location is quite hide away from city area. Anyway, it is very convenient to go out by asking hotel staff to call a local taxi meter which starts from 50 Baht (fare start 30 Baht + Calling service 20 Baht). The hotel lobby is lofty and well Thai-style decorated. Staff are also nice and welcome, surpised by nice welcome drink. The room with double bed is good but a little bit old bathroom in my opinion. Wifi signal is strength enough to connect a company VPN. TV channels are variety including several languages. All facilities completely provided i.e. fitness, table tennis, towel for swimming. The pool is very big and clean, you can also buy a drink at pool lounge too! Bakery buy 1 get 1 free after 6pm. Variety of breakfast. Lastly, try The Peak restaurant on 10th floor and enjoy panorama view of Chiang Rai!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Sitthikorn Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We were delighted that you selected Dusit Island Resort for you stay in Chiang Rai.

Our tem works very hard to ensure that we do not only meet, but also exceed our guest expectations, We endeavor to ensure all our guests experiences are as comfortable and memorable as possible and it will be my pleasure to share your positive remarks with our team members.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.