“So disappointed”

Dining options: Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
“So disappointed”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was foolishly optimistic about this place. I wanted to like them because they have a great premise. This is Thailand so never assume that the service or the mixed drinks will be good. They were not (although everyone was very very nice). This is the first time I've had bad coconut soup though. I ordered it just in case I didn't like the "famous" fish cakes, which were painfully not delicious. Now I know why there are so few people here while, phu lae, across the street, is packed.

• Visited January 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Chiang Rai, Thailand
“Great Thai food, enthusiastic live music”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

loved the food, the ambience, the service, not too expensive just a long walk from the centre of town. But if you like Thai food, this is the place to go.

Visited December 2012
Chiang Rai, Thailand
“Great Thai food”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is on the saturday night walking street, the thai food is fab and the live music is also really nice. Not too expensive but middle of the road and delicious.

Visited December 2012
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Nothing worth visiting”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The place is recommended by guidebooks after visiting quite interesting ethnic museum. I propose you to eat in advance, and use only the free coffee/tea coupon from the museum. You can go eating anywhere else, and I believe you get better!

The restaurant was maybe once something special, now it looks very mediocre, with poor food especially when it comes to vegetarian options. Nothing worth your money and time.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Jose H
Hong Kong, China
“Very disappointing tourist trap restaurant (Mae Chan branch only)”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was in Chiang Rai with a group and we had numerous very good meals. I chose the dishes in advance myself. This was the only really disappointing meal I had the whole trip. I've eaten at Cabbages and Condoms in Bangkok a couple of times but although it's not my first choice, it's not bad. This branch of the restaurant gave us bland food. There was hardly any spice in it. The soup was ok but everything else tasted like something I could cook at home with no exotic ingredients. Very disappointing. Even the people in our group who couldn't eat spicy food thought it was boring. It was also not great that the food was sitting on the table when we arrived. How far in advance did they cook it? Didn't they consider that it should be hot?
The staff were friendly enough the presentation was fun - our rice was smiling, but this has cured me of my need to visit a cabbages and condoms again.

• Visited December 2012