“Lovely getaway in the hills” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bamboo Nest de Chiang Rai

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Bamboo Nest de Chiang Rai
Ranked #1 of 160 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely getaway in the hills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

First of all, be prepared: you are going somewhere remote, off the grid. I had no internet access even though I do have a Thai SIM card and a smart phone. You can only recharge your phone between 8am and 3pm in the restaurant, as it's run on solar energy.

But isn't that what many of us are craving? To escape for a while?

I went alone to Bamboo Nest for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. Nok, Noy, Pi and the dogs all made me feel very welcome, and I did a couple of lovely walks with other tourists.

The green curry was sooo tasty, and the chicken/veggie/cashew stirfry too. After dinner, Noy makes a nice bonfire and you can all sit round it and put the world to rights, or ask Noy about anything you like. He's a fountain of knowledge.

My bungalow was basic but very clean, and I loved opening the windows early in the morning and going back to bed to enjoy the view. And after a good strenuous walk, to lie in my hammock and snooze.

Pi took us for a walk in the bamboo forest and made a campfire. He cooked us chicken and sticky rice (the rice was cooked in a hollow bamboo over the fire). It was delicious, and really interesting to see how he did it, in the traditional way. We also had a pleasant boat ride.

The nearby waterfall is beautiful and well worth the walk. We did the big circular route and went via the hot springs too. There are two - one is 56 degrees C so that's just for looking! The other has been made into a swimming pool but unfortunately it was being cleaned when we went on Monday so I couldn't test it. The cafe is nice, and sells lovely tea.

My stay was in March. Apparently July - October is a good time to visit. I really enjoyed it and if I was back in the area would come back to see what it's like at other times of the year. The only minus point was the smoke coming down the valley - apparently from farmers burning their fields in Burma. You didn't notice it when you were out on a walk, but you could tell when you looked across the valley from your bungalow.

I would totally recommend this place - as long as you are happy to get away from it all and spend time with some lovely people and their friendly dogs!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
Tourrettes, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

It seemed a good idea...get away from it all!!! But once we'd got there I felt as if I'd been taken hostage! The site is very beautiful but everything you want including a glass of water is charged for, the staff will help you "when they feel like it" so don't be in a hurry! The dinner menu is correct although expensive compared to what I'm used to and served at a fixed time, nobody had made an effort to decorate the "restaurant" it's all the "bare minimum" there were even false flowers on the tables! a shame they couldn't have done better. The guide that took us on the excursion was very nice and helpful. I wouldn't go back again, I'd rather find a more authentic place at a right price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CaroleMART
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I booked 2 nights at this resort because it had scored number 1 on trip advisor and won certificates.We were not dissapointed and stayed 6 nights.We are not built for hiking but i did go on a motorbike tour with nok and was impressed to be shown a cannabis plantation.The hammock took my weight and was very pleasant.I even got massaged by some of the local hill tribeswomen.My wife and I got lost on our motorbike in the dark one night and as if by magic noi appeared in her car and rescued us.Although taking your own motorbike here is exciting I would not do it again as I fell off once and nearly fell off a lot.Despite all that I still got my deposit back from the bike renter in chiang rai.The road was so steep up to their place that a hilltribesman had to push me as my bike bounced from rock to rock.Going in nois 4wd car is a much safer plan.Cooking was good and I ordered the barbecued big fish meal a number of times but you have to order in advance what you want.I do not like thai food but despite that there were things to eat here that I did like.The huts were authentic and built by the nearby hill tribes people the same as their huts.It was on stilts and was a bit spooky at night as you could here wild animal noises around and under our hut but we just ignored them and stayed in our very comfy bed and tried to pretend it was nothing.At nightime it is pitch black so don t forget your torches..Alltogether a totally authentic experience made better that for most of the time we were the only visitors.Nok and Noi are lovely people and we will be back.To book do a google on the name and their site givesan email for you to book with them direct.You cannot book it through an agent which is good it keeps the common herd away.

Room Tip: Our one was the furthest away from the main area so our view was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Bamboo Nest over Christmas and had a fantastic time. We enjoyed hiking by ourselves and with Noi, as well as hanging out on the hammocks doing not much! The evenings were a little cold but the bonfire and extra blankets for the bed meant we managed to stay warm and cosy. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a beautiful getaway from the crowds.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma J
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our trip to the bamboo nest was everything we'd hoped and more! The setting is amazing, the well-crafted bamboo huts are set on amazingly landscaped rolling hills. The home-cooked food here was some of the best we had in thailand. We asked one of the owners, Noi, to take us on a trek through the jungles and to visit a local tribe - it was amazing! It was just the two of us, Noi and his dog :) We ate lunch prepared by a local tribes woman - the best chicken i've ever eaten!

I'd highly recommend this place - simple pleasures very well executed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We loved it. The hotel owner is a Thai woman who woks very hard to keep it all going and give her guests a wonderful experience. The Bamboo Nest sits high in the beautiful mountains north of Chaing Rai surrounded by slopes covered with crops. The grounds are beautifully kept. She drives everyday into town for food and ice and to pick up and drop off guests which means you can easily coordinate your stay with good buses from Chaing Rai to Chaing Mai and other places.Their only electricity comes from solar panels which provides a light in each bamboo hut at night. The nightly price of $22 is very reasonable. Meals are a la cart and additional. Meals are eaten in an covered open air dining room at larger tables that promote conversation with the other guests. We shared stories with an African family living in Bangkok and working for the UN on Southeast Asian development. There were young couples from Switzerland and Germany. Also an American family living in Bangkok teaching at the American School. There is a campfire every night. Stars everywhere and good conversation. We do not have children and found the company enlivening. The huts have wonderful views, great privacy, hot showers, porches with hamacks and good beds. Simple. Relaxing. Take the hike to the nearby village and falls beyond. Go further to see a tea plantation or bath in the hot spring. Mid October seemed a great time to visit because the stick rice grown on steep mountain sides was being harvested. We stayed 2 days and three nights. I wish we had stayed longer to really relax.

Room Tip: Individual huts. Seems like all were very good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gunnar A
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked this place not knowing much about it or the area, but we enjoyed it so much we stayed longer than planned. The huts are simple and noisy (they are made of bamboo surprise) but each has a balcony and hammock giving an incredible view. The food is amazing, the couple who run it are great, hiking waterfalls hotsprings and hilltribes. They will pick you up in town around 4 and take you in around 10am. I dont think my post can do this place justice...ask to cook chicken over their bonfire at night with sticky rice and just enjoy.

• Stayed November 2013