“Wonderful cooking class and experience!”

Suwannee Thai Cooking Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Thai cooking class with the market tour, hands on experience. Food Tasting & Cultural walking tour. All ages are welcome.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This class was a lovely day. Suwannee was so sweet - she picked me up at my hotel at 9:30am and took me to the local market in town. I've been to lots of markets but this was different because she knows all the vendors and was able to let me taste foods that I had never tried before and explain to me what everything was. After buying all our ingredients at the market she took me to her kitchen and we made several wonderful courses together. Throughout it all she took pictures, told me stories about life in Chiang Rai and made me feel quite at home.

I have never written a review on trip advisor before but this class was so exceptional that I need to tell the world. If you are ever in Chiang Rai, don't miss it!!!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

6 of us did the cooking class, first stop the market where we sampled so many interesting foods that we wondered how we were going to fit in four courses. the sights, sounds and smells of fresh food was amazing!
Arriving at the home of Suwannee was beautiful to say the least, we were welcomed by her mother and family friends. You can make the dishes mild or as hot as suits you.
We have done cooking classes in Ho Chi Minh & Phnom Penh but this one has to be the best one ever, I would definitely recommend and will be back in the future to do another one.
A very big Thank you to Suwannee!!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a fabulous time! Our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 boys aged 17,15,13) were collected from our backpacker's hostel by Suwanee and found our co-sous chefs (a French couple) already in the car. A trip to the (very Thai) local market to learn about, taste and dignose the wierd and wonderful food stuffs and fruits was followed by a warm welcome Thai-style to Suwanee's home and kitchen. We sat around a low table to prepare and learn about our 4 chosen dishes, along with other Thai customs surrounding food preparation, cooking and eating. The menu was delicious and all of the food went down a treat, even with our cullinarily unadventurous 13yr old. The 2/3 of a day disappeared in no time. Suwanee then arranged a taxi for us so that we could spend the rest of the day visiting the White Temple. It was definitely one of the best days of our 21/2 week trip - a real family day and shared experience - thank you Suwanee

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We ventured to Thailand for your honeymoon and spent 3 nights in Chiang Rai. On our first day in Chiang Rai we organised an afternoon/evening cookery class with Suwannee for the following day. She was so accommodating arranging an impromptu one to one class for us at such short notice. We were so thrilled that we were able to do this class. Suwannee picked us up from our hotel and the class started off by walking around a traditional Thai market to buy our fresh produce that we would be needing. The market was amazing and something that we would never have ventured to on our own. Suwannee was fantastic showing us around and offering us different types of local produce and snacks that we had never seen or tried before. Afterwards we went to her home where we felt totally welcomed. She taught us how to prepare the food to be cooked and we learnt how to make a 4 course meal which was absolutely delicious. Throughout our class she offered to take plenty of photographs of us cooking and preparing our food. She was so kind and generous and afterwards offered to drop us off wherever we wanted to go and recommended some lovely cafes and bars to go to as well as attractions that we should see before our trip was over. The next day Suwannee had emailed us the photos that she had taken of us and the recipes for all of the meals that were on offer to make. I can not recommend this experience enough, an absolute MUST to do. Our subsequent trip to Koh Samui highlighted not only the fantastic value Suwannee's course is but also the amazing experience it provides as the hotel we were staying in at Koh Samui were offering a cookery course for half the duration at a much higher price, and did not include any trips out to the market to buy our own produce. My husband does not cook and was not particularly looking forward to this class, however he thoroughly enjoyed it and was so glad I made him do it, he says it was the highlight of the trip and I completely agree. Thank you Suwannee!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Suwannee was amazing, very friendly and a very skillful chef!

First she took us to the local market, where she offered us various (new) foods to try, local coffee and snacks. When we pointed a some type of fruit we did not know, she would just buy it for you so you could try it! The cooking class afterwards was an excellent learing experience and with a tasty reward, since we got to eat it! She supports the local community and we would recommend the cooking class to anyone interested in cooking Thai food and learning about Thai Culture!

1  Thank spiekereppie