“Palatial and empty but lovely”
Review of Dusit Island

Dusit Island
Ranked #51 of 298 Restaurants in Chiang Rai
Cuisines: Thai
Description: The resort is listen at tripadvisor but I only wanted to review their restaurant.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My bf and I stayed here for 6 nights, as we were travelling through Thailand . We loved the pool area is enormous and clean and hardly any guests using it. The hotel is set by a river with a beautiful outlook to distant farms and country side. 10 minute walk to the city fringe and about 20 min walk to the night market, alternatively 10 mins from hotel to night markets vua tuk tuk fir $100 baht .The staff friendly and the lobby flowers great. Our room was very nice not too dated and was not a small cramped room , the king size bed was inviting as was the view to the river .
Room service is 24/7 and enjoyed Thai food at 3 am etc.
We played tennis but court is about 20 years old and run down , but we hired rackets and balls for $150 baht ; au $3.00 .
The restaurant was great food but on the high side for Thailand .overall it's a huge hotel with all facilities but at times it felt like a ghost town , we were the only westeners there at the time. I would return to use the pool and stay for 2 nights max .
Cheers George. Australian

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Quiet and restful hotel within walking distance of the centre of Chiang Rai. Has a large pool that is often quite empty. Nice setting by the river . Friendly staff. Has a lot of Thai guests and most foreign guests only stay a night or two.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I ate at their Chinese restaurant called China Town this afternoon. The food is just ok, but if you ask it's worth money or not, the answer is simply NO. We spent 1400 Baht for Peking duck that tasted like left over duck. Dim Sum was ok, but still not very good. Crab corn soup also contained the old crab meat. The waits don't have much knowledge about the food. I asked the waiter for more Cayenne pepper, he gave me Bird's Eye Chili which is a lot more spicy. And when I told him that he gave me the wrong kind of pepper, he just told me that they have only bird's eye chili, which is not true since they served some cayenne pepper with my dim sum.

1  Thank jeune_daisy
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The buffet was truly amazing- I have never seen anything like it! I enjoyed Thai and western food of fantastic quality. The staff are a little snobby but that is the Thai way. However, this did not detract from the lovely food.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We liked this hotel but it's a bit on the big side, but nicely done. We don't like to be told to park our rental car in the car park whilst someones big shiny new black BMW is parked up front. Every customer is to be treasured, a lesson to be learned here. However, rooms are nice, restaurant is good and staff courteous.