“Quiet place, avoid the hotels in the city”
Review of Baan Nattawadee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Baan Nattawadee
Ranked #25 of 165 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Madrid, Spain
“Quiet place, avoid the hotels in the city”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice, clean rooms, nice people working there. Ours located a little far from the city of CR, but it's ok if you want to rest and avoid the crowds. It's worth hiring a motorbike if you can.

I won't have any problem of repeating our day there.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Iñigo B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Thai first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently visited Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand and stayed for several days at Baan Nattawadee which is located just outside of Chiang Rai which we found to be a good thing as we felt we left the busy city behind once we were back at home at Baan Nattawadee. The rooms are very nice - not too many rooms as this is a smaller country type of hotel. The staff is great and the breakfast food is excellent. I looked forward to the push the button espresso machine each morning. We were the only Western types in the place, the signage is all in Thai which means that this place probably caters more to the locals then us gringos. Don't forget to bring a card from the hotel to hand to your tuk-tuk cab driver when in Chiang Rai as they will need it to figure the route as this place is just enough outside of the city that the location can be a challenge even for the experienced tuk-tuk driver. It is also located within walking distance from the river - or - take one of the hotel bicycles and take a ride to the river for some local food and the most beautiful "beach" in the area. The next time I find myself planning a trip to Northern Thailand, Baan Nattawadee is where I will be staying.

2 Thank James C
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I picked this hotel based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and I have to say, when we pulled up to the hotel around 7:30pm with our very tired kids (ages 9 and 11) in tow, I thought... well maybe I didn't make a good choice. I'm not sure what it was, but the flourescent light bulbs out front were a little disarming. Boy was I wrong about the place. We only stayed here a couple of nights, but I felt like we became a part of Fong and Ton's family. My daughter wasn't feeling well when we arrived at the hotel and Fong and Ton were so helpful... They sent a hot water pot to our room, fresh fruit, checked up on her, and offered her herbal remedies. We also ventured into town one night (do NOT MISS the Saturday night market in Chiang Rai!) and they offered to drive us into town and ended up picking us up as well when we couldn't find a taxi or tuk tuk (FYI- Chiang Rai is in short supply of both). The food was delicious and the hospitality with amazing. The rooms are simple, clean, but it's the owners that make this place special. I wish we'd had time to wander around the area where the hotel is located. It is just a few minutes outside of the main city center, but it felt a little more rural and is beautiful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MominBoulder
London
Reviewed January 13, 2013

It was a really nice place to stay. It was cute and really peaceful. Its owned by a family so you share the space with the family and have breakfast with them. And chat. They were really friendly and made us a great Thai breakfast every morning and it was such a nice way to start the day, sitting in their courtyard. The bedrooms are quite basic and maybe lack a bit of the personality you find in the rest of the house. You also need to realize that this place is out of the town center and you’ll need to take taxi’s there and back. Once you get used to that its fine and we quite liked being a bit out of town. You can also take some nice walks near the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The owners and staff are the most friendly and professional ever ( and good dancers!) the rooms are very comfortable, and the meals were fabulous! The Thai breakfast was my best meal ever, including soup with coconut and I hate coconut!

1 Thank Bob S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Although it had been over a year since my last stay, I was welcomed back to Baan Nattawadee with open arms and warm smiles. There are many great things offered at Baan Nattawadee. It is a smaller location with lots of charm and character. The courtyard is open and inviting, just asking you to stop and spend some time. There are water features which are relaxing, wonderful lights and lots of greenery. The rooms are comfortable and make a wonderful place to stay. I especially love the beds. They are inviting and comfortable. So much so that you don't want to get up in the morning. The rooms are clean and well cared for.

Breakfast in the morning is great, especially the coffee. Thai breakfasts are to die for and there is always more than enough food so you never go away hungry. Fong is a marvelous cook.

The staff is exceptional... they are friendly, always smiling and helpful. We arrived with tons of luggage because we had donations of clothing and school supplies for the hill tribes and the staff carried all of our luggage up two or three flights of stairs to our rooms. They smiled and joked with us all the while. Every morning when we went down for breakfast, they were there, greeting us warmly. The service was prompt and timely. We never had to wait for anything.

Our hosts, Fong and Ton are gracious people. Ton had not been well and was in the hospital when we arrived but convinced the doctors to let him out for a couple of hours on New Year's Eve to come visit all who were staying there. They had a New Year's Eve celebration and they invited all of their guests to take part in it. We all felt like part of the family. The meal they prepared was amazing and again, there was so much food no one went hungry.

Baan Nattawadee is one of my favorite places to stay while in Chiang Rai.

1 Thank Hamzy
Colorado
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Baan Nattawadee offers the perfect opportunity to feel like one is at home in Chiang Rai. The host, Fong and her husband Ton, offer comfortable beds, lovely large clean rooms, many with balconies, combined with a welcoming and warm atmosphere, and outstanding staff. Whenever I arrive I feel like I am returning home and when I leave, I feel like I am saying good-bye to family.

The hotel, which has about 18 rooms on three floors that overlook the trees along the Mae Kok River, is located about 2.5 km west of the city center or a 100 baht and 7 minute tuk tuk ride. It is a five-minute bicycle ride from the Chiang Rai Beach, and bikes are provided at no additional costs.

There is a stunning courtyard, strung with colorful lanterns and laden with tables to enjoy the scrumptious Thai or American breakfast (the Thai breakfast is the best choice) or to spend in conversation with travel companions or fellow guests. We often brought a bottle of wine, for which Fong readily supplied wine glasses, and gathered to share our tales of our day’s adventure in the evening beauty of the courtyard. The hot breakfast, which includes incredible coffee, fruits and juices, is made to order when you sit down, is enough to keep you going until dinner.

The rooms have a mini hallway between the bedroom and bathroom, a sitting area, good towels, hair dryers, flat screen TVs, complimentary snacks and drinks, as well as free fast Internet service.

We were at Baan Nattawadee on New Year’s Eve and the staff and owners were kind enough to include us in their New Year’s Eve celebration. A fabulous 7-course meal was prepared for us, and we joined in karaoke, dancing and festivities with the staff. It was a beautiful way to bring in the new year.

Outside of a 5 star hotel, these are the most comfortable beds I have found.in Chiang Rai. The price is good, the service exceptional and the atmosphere filled with warmth. Every year I bring friends and families along on my trips with me to Chiang Rai. They are always amazed by the hospitality of this quaint and charming hotel. Year after year I return, as I know I can always rely on Baan Nattawadee.

Broder