“Good rooms, friendly owners”
Review of Baan Nattawadee

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Rai
Baan Nattawadee
Ranked #99 of 186 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed (me and my sister) for 1 night on our way to Laos. We arrive late in the evening and they organize our Airport pick up. Everything was running smoothly. Once checked in we wanted to eat something and Restaurant was not available, the place was very quite. The owner told us to borrow a scooter and with one of the staff escorting us we reach a Restaurant downtown, 2 or 3 km from the guesthouse. Thai food was all right, we had live music and friendly staff. Room was big and comfortable, free wi fi. The common area used for breakfast was a bit messy and breakfast (continental or thai) nothing really special but overall a good experience and friendly owners.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is a very good place to stay. Really cheap. Air conditioning. Ask for room with a balcony. Views from huge windows of park. Very close to walk to Chiang Rai Beach through the park. Very quiet.
There are some downsides but they should not put you off.
There is no longer a restaurant for evening meals in the hotel and nowhere close by. This means getting a taxi into town which are very cheap but we had to wait for a long time on two occasions for it to arrive. The tuk tuks try to over-charge for return journeys so you have to haggle (still more expensive than the taxi in). Very cheap and very good food at walking street market stalls. Chiang Rai is not touristy and we enjoyed it.
Fong and her husband, the owners, are very helpful and really nice. They organised a cheap taxi to the Laos border for us.
You have to realise that you are in a guest house and not a hotel - it's a bit like an extension of their home with their children around (rooms are hotel standard though).
Toilet was not clean when we arrived.
We enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for one with balcony and on second or third floor with a view of the park
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2012

TripAdvisor really let me down on this one. Based on all of the glowing reviews I was expecting a really special experience at Baan Natawadee Resort and Restaurant, but I'm afraid my expectations were set way too high.

I checked in at 5:30PM after a day spent on a 50km bicycle tour, so naturally I was quite tired and hungry and really looking forward to a good meal and relaxing evening. I was met at the entrance by two teenagers who politely took my luggage, signed me in, and showed me to my room. The room was okay, a bit dated and dimly lit, but clean and comfortable enough.

After a nice shower I went to the restaurant area for some dinner. It was still just the two teenagers working at the desk. I asked to see a food menu. They seemed confused by this request and eventually explained that they only serve breakfast. I found this odd considering this hotel's name includes the words "Resort and Restaurant". Also it is quite a ways out of town and there are no other eating establishments in the area, so where are guests supposed to eat?

Anyway, I asked them for their recommendation for a good restaurant where I could have dinner. They suggested a restaurant several kilometres away. It was raining at this point so I asked how I might be able to travel there. Bizarrely they suggested I borrow one of their bicycles and ride there--in the rain. I declined that offer and asked if they could call a taxi. They did and told me it would be a twenty-minute wait. Forty minutes later the taxi finally came.

At this point I was nearing the end of my patience but I figured a good meal was not far off now. The taxi dropped me at the suggested restaurant. It was in the middle of nowhere--several kilometres from the hotel, but also several kilometres from town--but it looked nice enough so I paid the driver and went inside. It was just a bit after 7:00 PM now so I was surprised to find that nobody was in the restaurant. A few staff members were standing around chatting and seemed surprised to see me walk in. I asked for a table for one. They said nothing but looked at each other with furrowed brows, as if I had asked them to fly me to the moon. Again I asked if I could sit and see a menu, gesturing to a small table. They whispered to each other and finally one of them waved his hands as if to say no. This exchange went on for another minute-or-two but finally it became obvious that they didn't speak any English and that I wasn't going to get any food. I can only assume that the restaurant had closed for the evening.

So, now I'm in the middle of nowhere, several kilometres from anything, in the rain, without transportation. I could think of nothing else to do except walk to town. Twenty minutes later, quite soggy, I arrived in Chiang Rai. It was now 8:00 PM and the street vendors were packing their things away. I found one that had some leftovers it was willing to sell me. It looked cold and unappetising but I was hungry so I bought it, along with a soda and hot dog from 7-Eleven. I found and awning to stand under and eat my evening meal, then found a tuk-tuk to take me back to the hotel.

I didn't sleep well that night, partly because my stomach was still growling with hunger, but also because the air con unit outside my window rattled very loudly. Morning came and I desperately hoped that a good breakfast would finally quell my hunger and improve my sinking opinion of this hotel.

I made my way down to the breakfast area to find the same two teenagers were serving breakfast to the guests. They offered me the American breakfast which I accepted. After a short wait they brought me a plate of two eggs, a thin slice of ham and a slice of bacon. That's all. No juice, no toast, no fruit, no cereal, no yogurt. Just two fried eggs and a bit of ham and bacon. This is a breakfast I would expect to get at a 300-baht guest house, but it's entirely unacceptable for a place that calls itself a "Resort and Restaurant". Maybe I should have tried the Thai breakfast but it wasn't offered to me and at this point I had lost all patience to ask for it. I decided then-and-there that I would check out even though I was booked for one more night.

In conclusion, I wish I had the same stellar experience of other reviewers. The owners that others have been written about so glowingly were not present during my short stay. Perhaps they were away on holiday, perhaps my experience would have been better if they were there.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Corman922
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just left the Baan Nattawadee and we were sad to leave. The hosts made us feel like family, and did everything they could to make us feel at home. Our laundry was taken care of when the owner saw we were heading to town with a bag, at breakfast they produced cereal for my picky kids, and various items of food and cakes magically appeared in the evening. We were even invited to take a trip to a nearby expo with the owner's family! Today, when we left we were given a ride to the bus depo in the owner's car. We had a wonderful 5 day stay!

This is besides the huge connecting rooms we had for our family of 5, which were clean and beautiful, and the grounds were outstanding as well.

Overall an amazing experiance that we will keep in our memories for a long, long time.

Thank you Baan Nattawadee!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SuperSig
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was my third stay at this hotel and I have already booked my next stay. I love this place, because it is comfortable, the people who own and work at it are warm and friendly, the breakfasts are made to order and are absolutely delicious. The place has an ambiance that creates warmth and a sense of relaxation with a local Thai flair. We stayed in late June 2012 so it was low season and not very crowded.

I love the outdoor covered dining/bar space they have created with a very large table that is suited to large groups wanting to have dinner together. It is a great supplement to the smaller tables that surround the outdoor gardens and the indoor dining/gathering spaces. When we have sat at night around the big dining table with a couple of bottles of wine and great friends, the staff is quick to find wine glasses for our use and open the wine. Baan Nattawadee sells beer but not wine, so they don’t mind if you bring your own.

We booked 3 rooms, as I was traveling with a group of friends. Check in was perfect. We arrived early but they had our rooms ready. Despite having several bags (we had gifts for kids at a local Children’s Home with us) the staff carries them up the stairs for you. The rooms are on the ground, second and third floors. All rooms are really spacious and have a bathroom that is across a little indoor hall (all within your room), which makes the rooms seem even larger. Our rooms had balconies that overlooked the river and trees. The beds are comfortable and they provide complimentary soft drinks and snacks in the room.

Service: Nothing is too much trouble. They prepare breakfast at whatever time you want to eat. You can sit for a couple hours and linger over coffee, tea and juices before or after your main breakfast, or you can have a quick breakfast if you are off for a day of touring. They serve Starbucks coffee, which was a wonderful “find” at a 3 star hotel.

Atmosphere: The grounds are lovely. The hotel has 3 stories and about 18 rooms. There is a lovely open courtyard where one can take their breakfast or dinner or just sit and read a book and relax. It is a short bike ride (2 or 3 minutes) from the “Chiang Rai beach” which is along the edge of the MeKok River. The hotel offers bicycles at no charge to its guests, so we all took a bike ride to the River and sat and had a beer at one of the local stalls.

Location: The hotel is about a 10-minute ride from town (depending on whether you are in private transport, taxi or tuk tuk it can be a few minutes more or less). The fare to town was about 100 baht. It is in a quiet area so we had no difficulty with noise or busy streets and loved being able to relax here at the end of the day.

This remains one of my favorite small hotels in Thailand. It isn’t a five star hotel, but it is extremely clean, very warm, good bathrooms, beautiful views and has great food in a lovely local establishment. I visit Chiang Rai often and I always find myself wanting to come back to this place for 3 or 4 days.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here last week for 3 nights and was absolutely wonderful. Fong and her family and staff treat you like part of the family. The breakfast each morning was some of the best food we ate on our holiday - you have a choice of Thai or American. Room was really huge with a lovely view and kept immaculately clean. It is a little bit out of town near Chaing Rai beach but that makes it very peaceful. Staff will call a cab for you if needed. They also organised a motor bike rental for us which was great. Would definatley stay here again if we return to Chiang Rai.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heliconia9PerthWa
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We enjoyed our time here, Fong picked us up at the bus station, the room was comfortable, we enjoyed riding the bikes they provide, the only downside is the hotel is out of town, it's 100 bht each time you want to go into town and back. We left our luggage in our room and spent the night up at Mae Salong, we fully expected to pay for the night while we were away but Fong insisted on not charging us, which we appreciated as it allowed us to spend more money at the orphanage.

Room Tip: if you dont want to climb stairs choose a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple