“Room was a good deal, not impressed with the staff.”
Review of Chat Guest house

Chat Guest house
Ranked #14 of 195 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The room was fine and actually a great deal for 100 baht. No hot water as promised. One of the toilets was out of order and completely covered with ants. Some of the staff were friendly, but some unfortunately were not. I felt like an inconvenience during my stay. I had a horrific breakfast experience at the restaurant. Eggs were bad and the toast (that I did not order) was beyond stale. They made me pay for it anyway and were unfortunately rude about it. I visited in low season so perhaps I should have known better than to eat at the restaurant, but it was monsooning outside, leaving me not much choice. Overall, I wasn't pleased with the place. Maybe I caught them on a bad day. I know it's much easier to write a bad review than a good one, but I was simply not impressed with the staff.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tara K

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Friendly and helpful staff, very well placed in the city center near the most important temple in the city. We had completly wooden rooms, which looks like from some old castle. Disadvantage was the second doors in the rooms which were locked and leads to neighbouring room so you can listen mostly everything from there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JiriHruska
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Neat, very basic and very friendly. Cheap rooms and in a quiet area. Recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank linda r
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed at chat house for around 4 days and I must say it was a great experience.

The rooms are very basic and not for the flash packers. However they are clean and comfortable, and the shower was really good and very very hot.

What sells Chat house are the fantastic staff and their absolutely delicious food, definitely try the fried noodle soup speciality, this was the culinary highlight of my stay in Thailand. Again the staff were very helpful in sorting out bike hire, maps of the area and the laundry service was very good value.

Chat House has a great communal area full of books and I often found myself chilling out reading my book with a Chang and people watching (it was a nice way to escape just being in the room) and gave the guest house an extra dimension.

Anyone looking to stay in Chiang Rai for a very reasonable price would do well to find anywhere better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main path to avoid being woken up by late night revellers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tebbotron
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Highly recommended. We stayed at Chat Guest House for 5 nights, eating many meals and partaking in a one-day tour that included a visa run to Myanmar. This is a budget guest house, but the staff make you feel like you are very important. They will arrange any tour, trek, rental or taxi service for you. All rates are reasonable.

We were going to do an independent visa run, but decided on a full day inclusive tour of the area, seeing the Royal Gardens, Mae Sai, Golden Triangle, and ancient city of Chiang Saen. Not only included lunch but the tour guide walked across the border with us. Incredible time and very worthwhile. Ask for "Fido" for your guide. You won't go wrong.

Room Tip: Often in Chiang Rai the night temperatures do not warrant air conditioning.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric H
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We spent 3 nights in chat house during our recent trip to Chiang RAi. I cannot complement the staff highly enough, they are all so helpful and friendly.
The rooms are clean and simple, nice big bed ( yes it is very firm but that was perfect for me) English channels on tv, nice cool air con and the best shower I have come across in Asia,they water is boiling and doesn't run off after 2 min.
Great onsite restaurant, excellent coffee and lovely cheap meals.
The high light of our trip was our 2 day 1 night jungle trek with our fab tour guide Kai. He made the trek such fun and a great learning experience. This man will literally eat anything (plants, bettles, fruits) I could not recommend a better guide.there is nothing like arriving back in Chat house stiff, sore, tired and smelly knowing you are going to jump into one of the best showers in Asia!! All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Aoifeo
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Prices were s 100 but was full, d 80 and I was single all the time in dorm 2.
Have shared bathroom, hot shower, free wifi (with unusual hi-speed, up to 400kB/s on some website) blanket, mosquito net on windows, fan, one power outlet per bed (dorm 2: 4 beds), no towel
Attention, there are a few spiders/cockroaches in the building and ants near bathroom/toilets.

Last a bit unusual, at checkin, reception asks for visa data: expiry date, arrival card number as an extra to usual things.

Restaurant is good with price standard (shake ~40, fried rice w egg/veg 40)
Still for this price, it's a very good deal.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo