“Loved it...can I go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
Ranked #3 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Milwaukee
“Loved it...can I go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

It was so peaceful. The hotel makes its statement when you enter the open air lobby and can see the river. I regret not staying longer to examine all of the property.The flowing river made it all so nice. The accommodations were very modern. Actually, the gym equipment was too modern and I couldn't work it. The rooms were a good size, and the bathroom was very nice with a separate shower and tub. The service was good and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Who doesn't love chocolate croissants? We even convinced the staff to open one of the bars a little early so we could have one last drink before we parted. Great service. I can't rate the price because I stayed at this hotel as part of my Gate 1 Thailand package, and it was by far the best hotel we stayed in the entire tour including its counter part in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WIRedLotus
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear WIRedLotus

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate it as it assists us with improving the quality of our products and services.

Your comments regarding service are a joy to read. Whenever we receive a Trip Advisor review, we always share it with our hotel team at the daily morning meeting. The team beamed when they heard your warm words. Thank you for highlighting the breakfast as well as gym equipment. I am delighted that we made your stay special and memorable.

I thank you for your very positive comments about our fantastic property. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Sincere regards
Stephen Morahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

We had stayed twice at this beautiful hotel which has really a unique environment. The rooms and the gardens are exquisite. We had recommended the hotel to several of our friends and decided to have a third stay. Although the hotel is still an exceptional piece of property, we were disappointed by the quality of the two restaurants, Favola and the Latest Recipe. These are signature restaurants of the Meridien chain and they are expected to uphold the same standards as the Meridien hotels in Bangkok and Chiang Mai (which they did 4 years ago). Whatever you do, please avoid (among other things) eating a hamburger in this hotel. Favola's pizza is now awful compared to five years ago when it was outstanding. Normally nice things like thai fish cakes are served hot or at least warm but in the main restaurant they are awful when served cold. Who eats cold fried food? Breakfast rolls, although under a heat lamp, were fridge cold. While the restaurants and concierge staff was very nice and helpful, the management seems to have lost its service orientation and value for repeat customers. I don't want to elaborate since I have written separately to them. I rated my stay as poor as I was truly offended by the attitude of one of the managers. However, I am looking forward to the hotel regaining its previous quality, as I am still in love with its serene and romantic surroundings.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are nice. Bring mosquito spray especially for the river.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BangkokCat
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear BangkokCAT,

I thank you for your positive comments regarding our rooms, gardens and service.

I am sorry that we have not met your expectations in our food and beverage departments. Your comments I find quite surprising as we normally only receive very positive feedback about the offerings in our venues, in particular Favola. The kitchen Brigade that manages Favola is the same team of five years ago, with a majority of the same Pizza’s on the menu and all made in the same way. I am not sure what has occurred on this occasion, however would be happy to discuss it with you further, along with the quality of the burger you have mentioned.

We have since taken the Thai fish cakes off our buffets as the feedback we have received (mostly from our international guests) is that they are not used to having Thai fish cakes not served hot. I apologise that these were not to your liking.

As I have not yet received a letter from you I would also be happy to discuss your negative experience with relation to the attitude of one of our manager.

I thank you again for your feedback and we will certainly review our food and beverage offerings to ensure that we are offering value for money and a great quality product. Additionally, please feel free to contact me at stephen.morahan@lemeridien.com so as I can personally follow up with you regarding your comments.

Stephen
College Park, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I was at the hotel with a group of friends. Such a peaceful retreat with several nice restaurants nearby. Very clean room with most comfortable bed. Staffs are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also excellent. Hate to leave.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear s p

How kind of you to take the time to write this review. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your warm words - very much appreciated.

It is kind of you to mention our breakfast (it does get rave reviews) as well as our "philosophy of hospitality". Certainly, we strive to make each guest's stay personal and special.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

The resort is beautiful. Very spacious and open. Even the lobby is open air, very "Thai-ish". The service is excellent, and so are the rooms. The swimming pool is nice, and they bring you water and fresh fruits every now and then. The hotel is on a river side, and its beautiful. Breakfast and dinner are good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear tuchop

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

Evergreen, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Peaceful hotel located right on the river. Balconies have comfy chairs and mosquito coils. Perfect location to explore. (We hired Jermsak (info in Chiang Rai forums) to take us to the white temple, remote hill tribes, and Myanmar.)
SPG platinum so received free buffet breakfast and free cocktails with a tray of beautiful appetizers from 5-7 every evening. Then we took hotel's shuttle to town for dinner, to shop the markets, and to get foot massages!
A special thanks to the wonderful staff! They were all so helpful and sweet to our 2 kids (13 and 10). Even had a special cake delivered to our room for our son's birthday!

Room Tip: We loved our top floor room to see the river.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear SuzanneEvergreen

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife, our adult son, and my brother-in-law and his wife spent two nights in this hotel in Chiang Rai as we explored the Golden triangle. The hotel is beautiful in a minimalist, contemporary style and I liked the feel of the hotel lobby, the library, and the room we had on th first floor of the main building. Our room put us close to the lobby and the restaurant that served a buffet breakfast. The infinity pool was beautiful with two different pool levels and abundant lounge chairs with thirsty towels. The breakfast buffet was very complete with both western and Asian food options and the wait staff was friendly and well trained. Check out the unique honey dispenser on the breakfast breads table. Our room came with two very comfy queen beds and our companions had a great king sized bed. All rooms have a balcony with a table and chairs and a sofa. Very nice marble bathrooms and a great shower! The front desk staff, concierge service, and bell staff were extremely helpful in getting our trip into Myanmar and Laos arranged, providing us with taxi service into town, and helping arrange our transportation to Chiang Mai when we left. I highly recommend Le Meridien Chiang Rai as a quiet oasis of luxury living in northern Thailand.

Room Tip: The rooms near the lobby are convenient to breakfast and transportation but a bit far from the pool...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear David D

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed breakfast – we have spent a lot of time making sure our breakfast was really special – we know that at a resort, guests have a little more time to enjoy a full breakfast offering.

I am so happy that you liked your room. Indeed all our guest rooms have balconies – and I am delighted to learn that you found time to relax and enjoy. I enjoyed your comments regarding the room and bed. We wanted to make them a little different from the norm – so I am very pleased to know that your liked them.

I do hope that we may the pleasure of welcoming you back to Chiang Rai again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as a solo traveller and had a fantastic stay. Room was large and a nice balcony. All the restaurants were excellent and the evening buffet was excellent value. No criticisms at all. I would recommend requesting a ground floor room though.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Nick H

Thanks so much for these very kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our Resort...and I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Chiang Rai.

With warm regards