“As mentioned”

Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“As mentioned”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

When we decided to stay at this hotel we used Trip Advisors reviews. We found them fair and maybe below what the hotel deserves. We decided to stay here to relax for a week and see a few sights.

We waited for a taxi at the airport with frustration. We called the hotel and a few minutes later we had a very nice gentlemen pick us up. The hotel was beautiful, staff very friendly, and food fantastic. The mud crab was a special on the menu and it was superb! The staff at breakfast remembered our drinks, and so did the bar staff in the evening. The excursions were well organized and we honestly could have stayed another week.

Thanks so much! It's worth the visit.

Room Tip: The room facing the river are very nice
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Craig W

Thank for your great comments about service and your experience at our resort. It was a pleasure to welcome you at the hotel. I shared your feedback with the team and they positively beamed when they heard your warm words!

It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest in Chiang Rai. We look forward to being of service again.

With warmest regards
Stephen Morahan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a deluxe river view room which is not ON river but views river beyond pool. Rooms were fabulous with views from bathtub through balcony. Beds very soft and comfortable. Breakfast buffet huge and delicious. Fitness center spacious and comprehensive.

Only complaint was walls are thin and they charge you 50 bhat per person for shuttle which seems petty. Prefer to have it baked into room cost ($2) and have unlimited free shuttle- just gives a different tone of service.

Wifi strong enough for Skype from room.

Didn't use the spa but jogged by and looked fabulous (but $$$$).

Stayed January 2014
Dear lisakav

Thank you very much for this positive and encouraging review. We were delighted to read your comments and to know that we passed your high standards.

Your comments regarding room and bed are a joy to read. It is kind of you to mention our breakfast (it does get rave reviews) as well as our "philosophy of hospitality". Certainly, we strive to make each guest's stay personal and special. I am pleased to know that you found time to explore the areas as well as to relax at the spa, however for the treatment prices, I had thought that our prices were competitive with other hotels in Chiang Rai, but I will check again. It is important to me that our guests feel that they received value for money.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Chiang Rai in the future.

With sincere regards
Walton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Have never been a fan of chain hotels but Le Meridien is a really lovely hotel. It was our first hotel on a three week trip having flown directly from London via Bangkok. Only 15 mins from the airport and about 10-15 minutes from town. We stayed in a Grand Suite room which was large with a view of the river and a short walk from the pool, the Spa and the Favola italian restaurant and Chill bar. The beds were very comfy and the lighting controls easy to use! Breakfast is served buffet style in a larger restaurant close to reception.

Mornings and evenings were cool whereas the days were warm once the mist lifted. I was a little chilly once or twice in the room at night and tried in vain to get heat out of the condensing units only to realise from speaking with reception they only have cool air but they rapidly sent along a little heater for our room. so all was well.

We loved the Favola italian restaurant and in fact rather unadventurously ate there for the 4 nights of our stay. The food, wine and service was really good so we thought why not? and it meant we could have early nights and be bright and breezy for the next day's sightseeing. We were really impressed with this hotel and would definitely stay in a Starwood hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear maynris

Thank you for these wonderful comments. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Grand Suite Room and LM bed. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our Resort...and I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Chiang Rai.

With warm regards
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

This was the last place we stayed before our long trip home.We stayed here for three nights. This place was very peaceful and I could not fault it the staff were more then helpful the place was very relaxing we had a massage every day which was amazing I had the same lady for the three days called Ula her massages were amazing.
We will definitely return.

Mary

Stayed January 2014
Dear Mary R

Thank for your great comments about service and your experience at our resort. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your warm words - very much appreciated.

I do hope that your travel plans will bring you back to Northern Thailand again in the future....and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Meridien.

With warm regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The view of the resort’s lagoon and river give a great first impression. Check-in was friendly and very efficient at the front desk, although be warned that they sneak in a second “registration card” for signature that actually is an enrollment application to their Starwood rewards program. Having said that the reception immediately applied any benefits associated to the program. Service in the resort is on a par with other Thai hotels- friendly- as is expected in Thailand. The room is modern although lacks in maintenance in some areas. Broken walls, scratched furniture, stained fabrics was evident throughout the resort. The Spa pavilion was amazing, with my villa having its own steam bath and the massage treatment was top notch, although one pays top money for this service. Could not use pool, as it was not heated and the water was too cold.
The food in the resort was a huge disappointment and due to the fact that the resort is far from anything, one is “forced” to experience their culinary fiasco. The selection at the breakfast buffet was anemic at best and was not refilled in a timely manner. Hot food items were lukewarm, if not cold. The dishes at the Italian restaurant by the river were tasteless, including even the most simple of dishes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear CCS294229,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate it as it assists us with improving the quality of our products and services.

I thank you for your positive comments about our award winning Parvati Spa. They are very much appreciated and I will be sure to share those with the team. I am sorry that you felt we were “sneaking in” the opportunity of joining our complimentary award winning Starwood Preferred Guest membership program, which only serves to reward you for your loyalty and staying with us by way of points and discounts to be used during your stay for a later date. I sincerely apologise if this is what you felt our team were attempting to do.
I rarely receive negative feedback regarding the condition of our rooms. In saying this, we are in the process of soft refurbishing the property after an extremely busy past 6 months running at almost 100% occupancy. I understand some rooms may require some touching up and our continual drive to maintain a fantastic quality product for our guests will ensure that we get all our rooms back to where they need to be, ensuring only a high quality experience for our guests.

I am also sorry that we have not met your expectations in our food and beverage departments. Your comments I find quite surprising as we normally only receive very positive feedback about the offerings, service and pricing in our venues. I feel we have one of the most value for money buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner anywhere in Thailand. The food temperature issues you experienced I will follow up with our culinary team. This may have been an engineering fault as we serve between 250-350 guests daily for breakfast and I have not received any other comments regarding the temperature of food.

With each buffet for lunch and dinner containing five or more freshly made salads, eight or more hot dishes, two a la minute cooking stations (that change daily), a selection of four or more seasonal fruits, accompanying five or more dessert selections, fresh local juices and tea and coffee for THB249 ($7.80) for lunch, and additional items in all areas for dinner for THB499 ($15.60), I am quite shocked that you feel our buffets are overpriced. It is disappointing to hear your comments given the variety, freshness and quality of food that we offer.

While we always prefer that our guests dine with us in one of our two fabulous restaurants there are a number of local restaurants offering traditional Thai cuisine no more than 150 metres to the right as you head out of the properties entrance. Only 5 kilometers from the centre of town there are many more restaurant and food options available.

I thank you again for your feedback and we will certainly review our food and beverage offerings to ensure that we are offering value for money and a great quality product that is hot and meets the requirements of our valuable guests.

I would hope that you would provide us with another opportunity in the future to restore your faith in our product and service.

Stephen
New York
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We enjoyed two nights at the wonderful Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort. We knew we were onto something special the moment we entered the elegant grand lobby. The entire property is beautiful inside and out, with excellent facilities and staff. Our room was beautiful, with tasteful modern contemporary furnishings and very generous in size. The bed was perfectly firm. We truly enjoyed our private balcony, with spectacular views over the pool and greenery of the property clear out to the river. Water everywhere: The resort’s large outdoor infinity pool overlooks a tranquil lake and river. We enjoyed these water views with back-to-back dinners at Favola, the resort’s wonderful Italian specialty restaurant. There were other excellent dining options, including Latest Recipe, the resort’s signature restaurant offering an a la carte menu along with extensive buffet options. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet each morning. Either of the property’s lounges provide the perfect ambiance to enjoy a beverage or appetizer. Chill Bar was great to relax and reflect on the day while enjoying the sunset over the river into the mountain backdrop. Latitude 19 is the resort’s chic lobby lounge serving an Asian fusion menu. We had a wonderful Thai massage experience, magic. We highly recommend Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort. This was an excellent stay and we hope to return soon!

Room Tip: We had a corner room on an upper floor overlooking the pool and river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear rpm25

Thank you for these warm and encouraging comments. It was a pleasure to welcome you as our guests, and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for especially highlighting our Thai and Italian restaurants.

Your comments regarding service are a joy to read. Whenever we receive a Trip Advisor review, we always share it with our hotel team at the daily morning meeting. The team beamed when they heard your warm words. Thank you for highlighting our room with balcony, pool, hotel landscape as well as a tranquil lake and river. I am delighted that we made your stay special and memorable.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the Lanna kingdom again.

Sincere regards
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Thumbs Up: Huge resort located along Mae Kok river. Clean, well-appointed room, with some nice extra touches done by the hotel to celebrate our anniversary.

Thumbs Down: Sadly, the food in the buffet restaurant was horrible. Calling it mediocre would be generous. We dined there several times (there is little other choice), with continued disappointment. Since the hotel is outside Chiang Rai, we felt trapped in a bad buffet and had to leave the hotel for a decent meal. The poolside restaurant, Favola, was much better, though pricier.

Recommendation: Stay at a hotel in Chiang Rai, where you have all the same amenities (pool etc) but better food options.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BostonSlim,

I thank you for your positive comments. They are very much appreciated and I will be sure to share those with the team.

I am sorry that we have not met your expectations in our food and beverage departments. Your comments I find quite surprising as we normally only receive very positive feedback about the offerings, service and pricing in our venues. I feel we have one of the most value for money buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner anywhere in Thailand.

I thank you again for your feedback and we will certainly review our food and beverage offerings to ensure that we are offering value for money and a great quality product.

Stephen