“Nice Resort for R&R”

Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort
Ranked #2 of 108 Hotels in Chiang Rai
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The check-in was smooth and easy, we were shown to our spacious room with plenty of space for reading chair, executive desk and the large king bed. The best is as good as other Meridien that we have been in. However the bathroom, although quite large is a bit aging and has shown chips in paint.

The resort is a bit of a distance from the town but there is a free shuttle-bus to carry you into town and back but the schedule can be inconvenient as it does not run often enough. However, taxis are plenty and cheap enough.

The Favola restaurant serves decent Italian dishes and we liked it here better than the one in Meridien Chiang Mai. The outdoor tables might contribute something to that effects. However, if you are dining late, watch out for mosquitoes.

The boat trip arranged with hotel on the Kok river is also a nice afternoon treat. You are taken from the dock upstream and back. The spa reported by my wife is decent but still far from the level of the one in the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok which my wife is now using as the standard to judge all others. That said the one Mandarin Oriental Spa is also almost double the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear terravisum

Thank for your great comments about service and your experience at our resort. It was a pleasure to welcome you at the hotel. I shared your feedback with the team and they positively beamed when they heard your warm words!

You would be pleased to know that we now provide more often round of shuttle services to other places also, such as the Rai Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park. Maybe on your next visit you would be able to visit this superb destination. As part of Le Méridien’s value, our UNLOCK ART Key card, will allow you to access this park for free.

Please do let me know when you will be visiting Chiang Rai again and I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I've been coming to Thailand for twenty years now, I'd safely say this is the best hotel I've stayed in. It's beautiful setting and absolutely fantastic rooms would mean nothing if it wasn't for the most fantastic staff I've encountered anywhere in Thailand. Their professionalism and enthusiasm does both themselves and their company proud, delightful. I must single out June, one the assistant managers, her helpfulness, friendliness, were fantastic, she went way beyond the extra mile. A most delightful four days, I will be back here. Well done to everyone there.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jim N

Dear Jim N

Thanks so much for these very kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our Resort...and I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Chiang Rai.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We booked this hotel based on our earlier experiences with Le Meridian hotels.
For what we needed it served its purpose as we were out sightseeing most of the time.
It appears a little deflected and needs bringing up to standard.
Our bathroom needs re painting and there are lots of loose boards around the pool.
The Italian restaurant is very good and the pool bar and staff excellent.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear ManxManandWoman

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We were very happy to read your comments regarding Favola (Italian Restaurant) - indeed this does continue to be an area that receives rave reviews from our guests.

I apologise that the bathroom needs re painting and there are lots of loose boards around the pool during your stay. I am not proud to know when we failed to delight a guest. I am however always grateful for the feedback so that we can learn, improve , and do better next time. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Chiang Rai in the future.

With sincere regards

Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic place to stay in a fantastic location. The room overlooking the pool, lake and river was beautiful. Flavola is well worth a visit, the lamb was cooked perfectly. The staff are all very friendly and appear to thoroughly enjoy their work, a reflection of good management, keep it up Stephen your doing a great job. A special mention must be made for the delightful Kan in Latitude, she makes a great mojito, original, not tinkered with like some mixologists feel the need to do, go and have a chat with her she speaks good English. So book this place, chill out by the pool on the bank of the Mae Kok with a cold beer it's a very tranquil spot to relax. Nearly forgot to say, breakfast is also not to be missed, I can't think of anything they did not have.

• Stayed: April 2013
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear LesPaulbkk

Thank you very much for this positive and encouraging review. We were delighted to read your comments and to know that we passed your high standards.

Your comments regarding service are a joy to read. Whenever we receive a Trip Advisor review, we always share it with our hotel team at the daily morning meeting. The team beamed when they heard your warm words. Thank you for highlighting the Italian Restaurant as well as the drink and service of Khun Kan at the Latitude19. I am delighted that we made your stay special and memorable.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the Lanna kingdom again.

Best regards

Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a very classy, sophisticated hotel in every respect. My title only asks the question we all ask: how do we compare this to other hotels where we have stayed? Better than the Chedi in Chiang Mai? Certainly. The best hotels in Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)? At least the equal. OK. I admit this is like chasing one's tail. Stay here, it's great!

Room Tip: If your travel agency says you have a "river view" room," double check to make sure y...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stremyFlorida

Dear stremyFlorida

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is the second stays in this month.Hotel is very nice,private and very quiet. We enjoyed A Taste of Discovery Lunch at Lastes Recipe with promotion. We found welcome fruits.It was moldy fruit after chew in my room. It was not up to standard from starwood. Swimming pool is beautiful but the water was dirty. We found small hair very much in this pool.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Pnn N

We gladly appreciate the time that you took to post this review following your recent visit to our hotel. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your warm words - very much appreciated.

I haved noted your comments regarding the swimming pool was dirty. I am never proud to know that we have disappointed a guest, but I am always grateful for the feedback so that we can learn and improve. Your comment in this instance is well noted – and we discussed your remarks together as a team at our morning meeting to find the solution to avoid this problem. Thank you for providing this learning opportunity for us.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

With kind regards

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked this hotel as it has a great reputation on here. We've been following TA for years but this is our first dabble at posting. Lovely attentive staff, good clean rooms, great staff, lovely grounds and facilities even if it is a little far out of town

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear AnnR606

Thank you so much. You are wonderful. I know that you took time to complete this review as well as completing an on-line questionnaire after your stay. Thank you…thank you…. I am truly grateful for your time.
It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest in Chiang Rai. We look forward to being of service again.

With warmest regards