“The best”

Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Chiang Rai
London, United Kingdom
“The best”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming to Thailand for twenty years now, I'd safely say this is the best hotel I've stayed in. It's beautiful setting and absolutely fantastic rooms would mean nothing if it wasn't for the most fantastic staff I've encountered anywhere in Thailand. Their professionalism and enthusiasm does both themselves and their company proud, delightful. I must single out June, one the assistant managers, her helpfulness, friendliness, were fantastic, she went way beyond the extra mile. A most delightful four days, I will be back here. Well done to everyone there.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jim N
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Jim N

Thanks so much for these very kind comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our Resort...and I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Chiang Rai.

Stephen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Isle of Man
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on our earlier experiences with Le Meridian hotels.
For what we needed it served its purpose as we were out sightseeing most of the time.
It appears a little deflected and needs bringing up to standard.
Our bathroom needs re painting and there are lots of loose boards around the pool.
The Italian restaurant is very good and the pool bar and staff excellent.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear ManxManandWoman

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We were very happy to read your comments regarding Favola (Italian Restaurant) - indeed this does continue to be an area that receives rave reviews from our guests.

I apologise that the bathroom needs re painting and there are lots of loose boards around the pool during your stay. I am not proud to know when we failed to delight a guest. I am however always grateful for the feedback so that we can learn, improve , and do better next time. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Chiang Rai in the future.

With sincere regards
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic place to stay in a fantastic location. The room overlooking the pool, lake and river was beautiful. Flavola is well worth a visit, the lamb was cooked perfectly. The staff are all very friendly and appear to thoroughly enjoy their work, a reflection of good management, keep it up Stephen your doing a great job. A special mention must be made for the delightful Kan in Latitude, she makes a great mojito, original, not tinkered with like some mixologists feel the need to do, go and have a chat with her she speaks good English. So book this place, chill out by the pool on the bank of the Mae Kok with a cold beer it's a very tranquil spot to relax. Nearly forgot to say, breakfast is also not to be missed, I can't think of anything they did not have.

• Stayed April 2013
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear LesPaulbkk

Thank you very much for this positive and encouraging review. We were delighted to read your comments and to know that we passed your high standards.

Your comments regarding service are a joy to read. Whenever we receive a Trip Advisor review, we always share it with our hotel team at the daily morning meeting. The team beamed when they heard your warm words. Thank you for highlighting the Italian Restaurant as well as the drink and service of Khun Kan at the Latitude19. I am delighted that we made your stay special and memorable.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the Lanna kingdom again.

Best regards
Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a very classy, sophisticated hotel in every respect. My title only asks the question we all ask: how do we compare this to other hotels where we have stayed? Better than the Chedi in Chiang Mai? Certainly. The best hotels in Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)? At least the equal. OK. I admit this is like chasing one's tail. Stay here, it's great!

Room Tip: If your travel agency says you have a "river view" room," double check to make sure y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stremyFlorida
Dear stremyFlorida

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is the second stays in this month.Hotel is very nice,private and very quiet. We enjoyed A Taste of Discovery Lunch at Lastes Recipe with promotion. We found welcome fruits.It was moldy fruit after chew in my room. It was not up to standard from starwood. Swimming pool is beautiful but the water was dirty. We found small hair very much in this pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pnn N

We gladly appreciate the time that you took to post this review following your recent visit to our hotel. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your warm words - very much appreciated.

I haved noted your comments regarding the swimming pool was dirty. I am never proud to know that we have disappointed a guest, but I am always grateful for the feedback so that we can learn and improve. Your comment in this instance is well noted – and we discussed your remarks together as a team at our morning meeting to find the solution to avoid this problem. Thank you for providing this learning opportunity for us.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Le Meridien Chiang Rai.

With kind regards
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We booked this hotel as it has a great reputation on here. We've been following TA for years but this is our first dabble at posting. Lovely attentive staff, good clean rooms, great staff, lovely grounds and facilities even if it is a little far out of town

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stephen M, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear AnnR606

Thank you so much. You are wonderful. I know that you took time to complete this review as well as completing an on-line questionnaire after your stay. Thank you…thank you…. I am truly grateful for your time.
It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest in Chiang Rai. We look forward to being of service again.

With warmest regards
San Francisco
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We chose Le Meridian based in large part to other Tripadvisor reviews. Definitely did not disappoint. It was a perfect option as we were looking to decompress after a hectic Songkran weekend in Bangkok and some quite and tranquility were badly in need.

It's located several miles north and outside of the town (which is fine b/c Chiang Rai isn't all that spectacular). The resort is beautifully situated and the lush and spacious grounds were very nice.

The room was quite nice with a little patio. I especially loved the infinity pool that spills over to the lake that connects to the Kok river.

We only stayed two nights, which I think was the perfect amount of time (after that, you might get stir crazy). One night we took the hotel shuttle to the town where we checked out some temples and the night bazaar (the latter was highly disappointing). The second day, we booked a Golden Triangle tour with the hotel - it was probably pricier to go this route but it was extremely convenient in that they pick up/drop off at the hotel and our guide was great. Got to see the Hall of Opium, took a riverboat to the Golden Triangle where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet and checked out a temple in the town of Chiang Saen.

The restaurant options at Le Meridian are all great too. Favola is a classy Italian restaurant that's pricey for Thailand standards but the food was great (for a moment, I actually forgot I was in Thailand). The linguini al mare was especially good but they had pizza and even foie gras. Just outside is the Chill Bar, an outdoors poolside bar where I probably had the best-tasting Chang beer (ice cold on draft on a really hot day). Finally, breakfast was included at Latest Recipe, where they had an amazing variety of top quality food (including palate refreshers from Jean Georges' recipes and amazing variety of fresh juices (pandamus, cantaloupe, chrysanthumum, etc.).

Great food, amazing views, the infinity pool to yourself, spacious room. Overall, a lovely stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flaul
Dear Flaul

Thanks so much for these very kind comments. Thank you for especially highlighting our Italian and Thai restaurants especially our Breakfast... I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our Resort...and I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in Chiang Rai.