Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline$12
Vio.com$12
Agoda.com$12
Tripadvisor$12
StayForLong
Etrip
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had booked our room beforehand online. The normal checkin time is 12.00. We arrived at 3pm but didn't get a room until 5pm. At first the room wasn't cleaned (there was urine splash in our bathroom) and the "beds" wasn't made. The staff was very unsympathetic and unhelpful. Big gaps in both windows and doors. Hole in the floor. The so-called "Dorm 4 beds" was a room with two mattresses on the floor with ONE cover to each mattress, Nice decoration in the room but it would need to be totallly remaked. As it is now it's rundown.

After some trouble the manager came to the hotel who was very helpful and helped us put up our mosquitonets. Though it seems like they accept more guests than they can handle. Shampoo, conditioner, soap and toilet paper were available. Breakfast included - at any time.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Lost our booking, put us in the staff quarters where the guy who was constantly trying to book us for everything from a trek to a thai massage to a cooking class (really funny when you see the free breakfast) also shared our shower.

Charming.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank NickF836
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Again, I'm not sure why people expect such a high level of service at budget guethouse. A room at The North during our stay in October was 450 baht a night with its own bathroom and A/C. No, maids will not clean your room. Yes, you might have to seek out a new roll of toilet paper and, yes, you will have to wipe your own butt with it.

The room, the most important part in my opinion, was clean, fresh, and updated. There was even a small TV (ok fine, it didn't work) and fridge (did work). There were also large, filled containers of soap, shampoo and conditioner, which is not often seen in this price range. The bed also felt thicker than most places we stayed on our trip thru Laos and northern Thailand.

There are 2 computers downstairs that have free internet. Sweet. There is also a nice sitting covered sitting area on the 2nd floor, but we didn't have time to enjoy it. The location is excellent as it's a stone throw from the bus station and night bazaar. Granted, there isn't much around this place to look at, but no big deal for us. Breakfast looked underwhelming for an extra 100 bht/person so we skipped it. The staff was fine, but as others have noticed, not the MOST accomodating that you will find.

One piece of advice: while in Chiang Rai, be sure to take Suwanee's cooking course! An absolute must do.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Matthew L
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I am only going to comment on the unprofessional service provided by The North. Communication was slow during the booking process, and they did not answer my specific questions about the room and my stay in Chiang Rai. Initially, they didn't reply to texts or e-mails. However, the night before my departure, they did finally confirm my booking and my airport pick-up in an e-mail. The price and the location were right, so off I went.

When I got to the airport, no one was waiting for me. I called the mobile number, but it was switched off. Then I called the landline. I was asked for my name half a dozen times by two different people, asked if I had a booking. I patiently gave my confirmation number, and finally, unhelpfully and unsympathetically, was told to get a cab. Of course it would have been easy enough to do so, but did I really want to give these people my business?

Other hotels did have shuttles waiting for their guests, and it was easy enough to take one of those and check in elsewhere. In a town full of pleasant, affordable guesthouses and hotels, there is no reason to settle for poor hospitality.

Room tip: Book elsewhere.
Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank vincentinparis
Reviewed November 8, 2011

The rooms are clean and basic, and since we were only in there to sleep, quite well suited to our needs. There was some initial confusion because we were a large group; staff seemed to think that we had booked several large rooms to share and led us (carrying all our luggage) all the way to the top floor. I didn't get a chance to have a proper look around, but I don't think there was air-conditioning up there. We spent a bit of time going up and down the stairs until we found our twin-share rooms. I liked the charming decor in the lobby where breakfast (cereal and toast is free, additional menu items can be ordered) was served in the morning.

Room tip: You can get rooms that have a door opening directly onto that floor's balcony.
Date of stay: July 2011