“Great value, location, friendly and clean”

Orchids Guest House
Ranked #5 of 167 Chiang Rai B&B and Inns
Helensvale, Australia
“Great value, location, friendly and clean”
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in Chiang Rai and had a pleasant stay at Orchids Guest House. Our room was the furtherest from the office, quiet, spacious room and ensuite, TV, the new bed was hard like all beds in Thailand! Air con was great. No fridge in room, it is in the office, 2 free bottles of water daily, free tea/coffee/hot chocolate/cold water at the office along with free internet. Great location, walking distance to markets, restaurants. Very friendly and helpful in recommending massage place and tour guide and driver. Laundry was the cheapest in Thailand! No breakfast but plenty places around. Didn't have to book just email and confirm the day before. Very reasonable rates. Extremely hot when we were in Chiang Rai and without a pool we moved onto Chiang Mai after 2 nights.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suelovesholidays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edmonton
Reviewed May 22, 2010

What can I say? For 350B, we received A/C, free wifi, free coffee/tea, and great service. The rooms were clean, quiet, and relatively comfortable. The location is excellent - centrally located near all the bars and a short walk to the bus station and night market. I'd definitely recommend it and stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I strolled through Chiang Rai and had a look at several guesthouses. Eventually I took a room at Orchids. The rooms looked really ok, ok clean and free Wi-Fi is provided. It's centrally located but quiet at night.

I paid 400 bath for a room with AC. Breakfast is not included. But you could go to Baan Bua Guesthouse which offers tasty breakfast in the morning in the garden. Two bottles of drinking water are included but they didn't put it in my room by themselves. As I asked for the bottles it was no problem to get them. But I had to ask for them every day.

They don't make up the room daily. I stayed there for 4 nights. They hadn't made it up once. I asked for a fresh towel and it was no problem to get a new one. But you have to ask.

The staff is friendly and not pushy with tours.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank zerouno
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 10, 2010

For the 450 Baht price tag, the guest house was certainly ok. It was a standard no-frills guest house room. I like the central location, but I could have done without the bars on Jet Yod road, especially the ones near the guest house with the women calling out for me as I walked by. I could have also done without the paper thin walls and windows that seemed to amplify the late night noise. My room was one or two down from the office and it is certainly not the desired location At night, I could hear the staff talking. I could hear TVs from other rooms and people coming back to their rooms. I could actually hear the conversations and identify the various languages being spoken. It was that loud. Of course, it would probably be fine if other guests were respectful of others and tried to be quiet.

Although I'd probably recommend this place to a friend due to the price, I personally would be willing to pay a little bit more to get better sleep.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Brisbane
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at Orchids on our recent rtip to Chiang Rai. Very pleasant staff, free tea/coffee, free internet and great rooms.

Orchids is down a small Soi off Jed Yot Road so is quiet yet handy to all the nightlife. We hired a scotter through Orchids and it was delived no fuss within a few minutes.

Definately will be staying here again.

We have some pics at http://www.bobandjanette.com of our stay in Chiang Rai

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobnJanette
singapore
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Home feel, free internet & helpful staff;

10mins to Night Bazzar market & tour agencies to hire driver to

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank fluzilla
Where in the world...?!
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was a brilliant find. We were working our way through recommended LP guide hotels when we stumbled across Orchids and it was far nicer than any ones we'd seen previously - should be in the book!
There are 2 buildings set opposite one another with a courtyard and seating in the middle to chillout, and you get free tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cold & boiling water & internet with your room rate.
The rooms are large, airy, newly decorated, with large bathrooms,a big TV and aircon comes as standard which is always nice - i thought 350 Baht a night for a double was very reasonable.
It's also located right in the middle of the backpacker/tourist area in Chiang Rai, but because its set back from the main road down a little lane it wasnt at all noisy. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends