“Unexpectedly good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Cha-am
Hong Kong
“Unexpectedly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

After reading some comments on this hotel we were a little concerned about what to expect. There was no need to worry it was very good. The check in was not so encouraging within a very old fashioned lobby and not so smiling receptionist. However the room was excellent, large, clean and well furnished. The layout of the hotel was a little strange at first but we soon got used to it. The service in all restaurants was excellent as was the food. We were particularly delighted at the quality of both in the Italian restaurant. Breakfast offered a very good variety and to sit on the verandah outside the restaurant watching the sun rise and listening to the birds singing was an added bonus. The swimming pools were great, three in all beautifully decorated. The one on the ground floor sometimes was a bit busy because the rooms there opened out on to it. We chose the one on the third floor which was quiet and comfortable. Across the
road to the beach, a very short distance, the hotel provided beach chairs for our comfort, very pleasant to sit and watch the sea.
For what we paid, a special through Agoda the whole stay was very good value. Oh, nearly forgot the yum cha in the Chinese restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allheart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The hotel looks impressive from a distance.....but it was all downhill from there. The check in process was uneventful.....we were given the key card in a sleeve with two drink coupons.

Our room was not accessible by elevator. We had to go out a side door from the lobby to a service staircase down one floor. Kind of strange for a hotel of this caliber. The signage directing us to our room was confusing. The bellman, who delivered our luggage had to come looking for us because the signage directed us to another part of the hotel. After arriving to our room, our group decided to go to the lobby bar for a complimentary welcome drink.

When we arrived at the bar, we presented the drink coupons (colorful images of several tropical drinks donning fruit slices and umbrellas). To our surprise, we were informed by the waitress that the coupon entitled us to non-alcoholic fruit juice only. Ok, I get it......entice the guest to come to the bar for a drink and deliver a six ounce glass of tropical punch. It would have been better had they greeted us with a glass of juice and a cold towel upon check in.....but no. It is a real insult and made us feel uncomfortable.

The room was nice but we had to call housekeeping to the room to have it cleaned. It was dusty, the walls were dirty with stains and fingerprints and the bathroom shower had a lot of mold. I actually had to point out the issues to the housekeeper when she arrived to the room. I felt bad because I got the impression that she wasn't properly trained and didn't have the proper cleaning supplies.

Not a great experience. Too bad because the property has a lot of promise

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DMWylie
Udon Thani, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Tranquil Ideal for families and couples. A private space Pool near the beach. No chaos.Swimming pool facing rooms.View at breakfast.Hotel by the sea Can walk and exercise in the morning.Or sit and watch the sea Blue sky does Throughout the day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Swansea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Do not stay here!
We arrived at the hotel at 7am after 18hrs travelling, I had to carry all my bags and my partners bags up the steps (about 30) and a long driveway only to be greeted by approx 8 staff members just sitting around the foyer, when we checked in only then they offered to help with the bags to the room, I kindly ask them to take their hands of my bags as I wasn't willing to pay a tip, would of been a different story if they had of help us at the bottom of the driveway...
After checking into the room (which was very pleasant) great view and furnishings we tried to use the wifi, only to be told the wifi costs £6 per day! Surely this day and age this should come as a standard, I would of not booked if I had known this earlier.
We then asked the hotel if they would be so kind and book us a taxi to the centre, this was clearly far too much work for the guys on reception, as the amount of sighing was pretty obvious.
Then we were told it would cost us 1000bht to get to the centre which by the way 1 person could eat for 2 days easily for that amount.
We finally found a taxi (through friends in the area) that would transport us for a fixed rate of 400bht and it's a 8 seater van.
You will need to find transport in some form as the hotel is in the middle of a day time town, lots of little markets going on until 7-8ish then there is nothing within walking distance ( and I mean nothing)
The 3 day I tried to change some GBP at the counter £200 to be precise, I was told after 20 minutes of the staff talking to each other and going through all the security checks (which I understand) but 20 minutes for 10 notes come on... That they ONLY CHANGE £50 notes, I have travelled all over the world and I have never heard such a ludicrous rule, I even asked another person to double check as this sounds wrong, and she just shrugged her shoulders at me... the food there is edible, you will find better street food venders out side in the day times.
Over all the hotel itself is lovely, looks nice and at first glance I would say it's 4 star but as your stay unfolds you will realise the customer service is beyond bad, it's probably the worst customer service I have ever received whilst on holiday in Thailand (this is my 3rd time) I hope the management of the company that operated this hotel sees this review and many others regards on the service and takes action, if I can save just one person from going through the hassle that I did then it's been worth my time writing this review. I truly hope they do sort it out as at present it's a great shame and a waste of a beautiful building.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikejomes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Sea view was better as we stayed on the 12th floor and can see beautiful sunrise in the mornings. Do not book the mountain view as you would only see constructions. The place is also far from any restaurant outside so u either have to walk or bike if u want to eat the sumptuous sea food they offer at the sea side. The sea side is around 6 km so better be ready for a quick jog or run. There is also no night life at all here in Cha-am beach. We found 2 make shift vans that served some drinks but no alcohol at all.

I noticed there is no tooth brush nor tooth paste given in this hotel so its a big no no for me.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Our room,facing the beach,was very pleasant,definitely 5 star. Balcony only had one seat,but it was mostly too hot to sit there. The beach area maintained by hotel was grassy and shady, beach just a shallow strip of sand, but sea was safe to swim in.It was very complicated to access the beach, through lobby, down a lane, or a corridor.Compared to lesser starred hotels we stayed in the staff were not particularly friendly, and the hotel is too far from the town to walk in the heat. Massive construction projects behind hotel and elsewhere in the are.Pools were beautiful, but if I went again I would stay elsewhere. Breakfast very good, great coffee.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Josie G
Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We booked through Agoda a "Mountain view" rooms (number ending in 18), so we got a decent deal (about $100/night - breakfast included). Unfortunately, the only view we got was on a huge construction site that prevented us to open the window.

In our room there was a big window between the bathroom and the bedroom, and the access to the bathroom was given through a very loose sliding door, so no privacy at all (!!) especially when you have kids with you! Plus, because of this atypical bathroom/room feature, if we were to turn on the bathroom light, in the middle of the night, we would also lighten up the bedroom!

The sofa in the bedroom had disgusting whitish stains, so we had to turn upside-down the big cushion in order to be able to sit on it, and the second and last day I also noticed yellow stains in the inside of the duvet cover.

The bathroom (with bedroom view...) had a shower and a bathtub. No toothbrush or toothpaste, the only amenities were a small bar of soap and two mini bottles of shampoo and shower gel. The hairdryer wasn't working, but was precisely packed in one of the closets.

Most of the clients were retired northern European, and at 9 am they had already put towels on almost all of the chairs surrounding the pool and gone to have breakfast, so it was impossible to find a place for us and our little son even though there was almost nobody at the pool.

They only provided one key card to access to the floor and open the room, even though we were a family with a small child, and when they gave it to us, inside the card holder there was a price list for most of the stuff in the bedroom... so I had the very bad feeling that they were really hoping somebody was going to break something, so they could round up the final bill, considering it was the first time in my whole life I saw such a list handled to a just checked-in client.
In fact, we broke a small glass soap saucer that was placed near the bathtub, and we were charged $25, which is fair even though honestly I doubt that the original cost was so high, especially in Thailand.

The breakfast was good, and there were plenty of choices, but the international restaurant was overpriced and food so-so.

Staff was professional.

The beach was nice, but not very clean.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family