“Reasonably priced, friendly service”
Review of Mermaid Restaurant - CLOSED

Mermaid Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Seafood, European
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated on the entrance road to the Courtyard Marriott at Cha Am Beach
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Reasonably priced, friendly service”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I was looking for someplace near our hotel that we could go to. I checked this one on trip adviser and while walking around I stumbled across the very restuarant I was looking for just around the corner. The food was good and the staff was very friendly. It was one of the girls birthday so the gave us a desert at no charge.

• Visited March 2014

Australia
“Lovely food, good service even though very busy”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had dinner here whilst staying at the Novotel just down the road. We picked it because it was busy, a good sign that the food is good. We weren't let down. My curry was lovely and they managed to accommodate my very picky daughter with some plain fried rice. Our food came quickly and was very reasonably priced. It's just a pity we discovered it on our last night.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Shuz712
Reading, United Kingdom
“Food Good Service a bit slow”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We ate here 3 times in the 3 weeks we there in Cha-am and found the standard of food good, but, service could be a bit iffy due to language problems and on one occasion they had run out of shrimps and noodles. A Thai restaurant running out of noodles!!!!!

• Visited February 2014
Kent UK
“Still the best in Bang Kwai”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Mermaid restaurant is not in fact in Cha Am, but in Bang Kwai, south of the town. We have been coming to Bang Kwai village for winter holidays, like so many other Europeans, for the last 4 years. Mermaid has remained the best option in this friendly little village.
The food is always beautifully cooked, and the owner, Wasinee, goes out of her way to ensure that everything as you want. We nearly always have the Thai meals which are delicious, I love the whole fish and every prawn dish. The deep fried prawns are very popular with everyone. The dishes are generally quite small (apart from the fish) but as each one is a very reasonable you can add more or less as you wish. Wasinee will also, if at all possible change any dish on the menu to your taste if you ask. All the staff are delightful and the greetings and goodbyes the best ever.
Please try it if you come here, and ignore the one negative report which has kept the score down. Like another reviewer I reported this to Tripadvisor, as it must be fake, probably from a rival restaurant. The reviewer had never written a review before or since - suspicious I think!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank echokent
Malvern
“Pleased to report it's as good as ever”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

What a relief to find the Mermaid still up and running when we arrived at the village of Ban Kwai, as it was previously our favourite restaurant in not just the village but the whole of Thailand, we just had to try it on the first night. I am pleased to say that it still serves first class food and gets one of my rarely awarded five stars. Wasinee, who owns the restaurant is a delightful young lady and has excellent staff who are always very helpful and we could see that she still has the same chef which explains the continued high quality of the food.
This is not a large restaurant and is not a linen napkins and champagne type restaurant, but what it does offer is superb Thai food at a very good price. If you are not a Thai food lover (can there really be such a person) then there are other options on the menu for you.

I just had to try the Prawns in garlic as a starter (you can also have it as a main course) and I am happy to report that it was as good as ever and on the first night, I actually had some King Prawns which were too good for words. I should perhaps explain, that their Prawns or shrimps as they like to call them are equal to King Prawns back in the UK so their King Prawns are enormous. The Massaman curry is superb and my wife particularly loves the chicken cashew nuts and also the chicken fried rice, both very generous portions and always hot which is not always the case in many Thai restaurants. Follow all this with one of their pancakes or a banana fritter with honey and ice cream and you think you have been to heaven.
How I wish we could transfer this restaurant back to Malvern in the UK, It wouldn't do much for my waistline, but it would make a middle aged man very happy.
Toilet and internet access for those concerned about such matters.

• Visited January 2014