“If you wanna stay in dirt go here”
Review of Sandy Resort

Sandy Resort
Sandy Resort
Ranked #29 of 52 Hotels in Surat Thani
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was a nightmare. Pool has tiles coming off. whirpool doesn't work. Rooms smell like mould. Breakfast is the worst I've ever seen. I would recommend not to waste your money here!

Room Tip: Do not take à room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cenm_11

Reviewed February 14, 2010

This hotel stay was included as part of a group tour to Thailand so I have no idea what the individual rates are like. The rooms and beds were a bit larger in comparison to the other hotels we stayed at on this trip. I was relieved to see our room had a separate shower/toilet, because up to that point every place we had stayed at had that dreaded uncomfortable thai style handheld shower/toilet combo. The furnishings were a bit dated but comfortable.

The grounds of the hotel, especially the path leading to the beach were rather "junky" looking due to lots of construction/renovations taking place which kinda spoiled the atmosphere. The beach was pretty decent but rocky. The pool was out of service the whole time we were so I didn't get to use it. Breakfast was included daily and was served at the beachfront restaurant. Nightlife was nearby with plenty of restaurants, shopping etc.

Bottom line the hotel was ok, but if I choose to return to Koh Samui I would research other properties.

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed January 8, 2010

DON’T EVEN BOOK TO STAY HERE BY MISTAKE!!- the receptionist was unfriendly, not at all helpful and not bothered!! Whats more is that once our bags (four of us in two rooms) were kept in the rooms (all 4 strollers were locked) and we went in search for lunch, the two locks on the doors of each room were opened, the combination lock of my stroller was professionally broken, others had key lock which were opened too, everything was looked through, 100 USD and 100 UK pounds were stolen (luckily I kept the rest on me), and jewelry for STOLEN from my friend’s bag!!

Everything was then carefully packed back and clothes folded and as if to show nothing was wrong! All this happened at Sandy Beach Resort, Bo-phut beach in the span of one hour- it was almost as if someone kept an eye on us all the while (we had lunch across the road) and knew exactly what are movements were.
Upon reporting at the reception, they didn’t really seem to care to help or empathize. I am almost 100% sure it is an internal job and the staff of this place are very much involved given the circumstance the theft happened and the kind of real time information on our whereabouts and knowledge to all the locks the thief seemed to have. It was a very unfortunate incident that tarnished our otherwise wonderful Thailand trip.

It is a shady resort is in every sort of way- the pictures on the website and hoardings are completely different to what to actually get. The water pressure in the taps was terrible. Shower was almost non-existent, the geyser was probably just for show, room lighting is awful. Not at all a good place at all.
Sandy Beach Resort is nothing but a 3rd grade place!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ohenry2010
Reviewed December 29, 2009

This hotel was very over priced for what it was. We ended up in a chalet style room with the biggest air con unit you have ever seen. The room didnt look like it had been updated since the 70s and really felt like Butlins. Our hot water wasnt working either!
The resort was not very close to anything. You needed a taxi or moped to get to anywhere decent.
On the up side, it was on a nice beach. Breakfast in the morning was good, and the resort was very quiet. They also had a very good internet room but no WiFi.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I think that really I would give this hotel a 3.5 rating rather that a four, it was quite simple with a basic set up and modest rooms. The shower was awful as it kept losing pressure and you had to stand there a hold the shower head above you or it would spray water all over the bathroom (though we found this a common design flaw in thai hotels!)

Despite this I really liked the bar, restaurant, pool area which I felt was very clean, comfortable area and they served a good range of food and drink options. Breakfast was also included which again was nice, provding both local and western options. In terms of beach access this hotel was great as it is right on a nice beach, perfect for sunbathing; however I found the sea directly in front of the beach wasnt great as their seemed to be quite alot of sharp rocks underfoot.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I stayed here as part of a prebooked arranged tour and found this resort to be substandard. Our bunglaow was very basic with an awful view of a cinder block wall behind and a generator that made such a racket. Our row of bungalows didnt have proper ceilings and so we could hear everything from the rooms either side, and I mean EVERYTHING! Hot water was scarce and the toilets hardly flushed and took a long time to refil.

The security for each room was poor in that the rooms locked by a padlock only.

The curtains on our window smelled of stale urine and there had been insufficient cleaning under the bed.

The resturant was expensive and so we ate there only for lunch on our first day.

The beach beside the resort is poor and i walked for 10 mins to find a good spot.

I would hardly call this place a resort to be honest.

I wouldnt recommend the resort due to poor clenliness and also the bad location, away from all the goings on on Ko Samui, especially as taxis are expensive.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We stayed here in Dec 08 and found the rooms (double, aircon) clean and comfortable. The Sandy resort itself is a bit dated and tired round the edges. We found the 2km walk to the local Fishermand village a bit of a trek although there are regular taxi's (2 benchers) heading to and from the village centre.

We thought that it was overpriced (we paid 1300 baht per night) for what you got considering there are a lot of accomodation options closer to the village. We stayed here a couple of night and enjoyed the views from the pool and also the beach access but all in all we'd recommend that you try to get somewhere closer to the Fishermans village.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple