Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
$15
Free cancellation until 12/17/21
Hotels.com
$14
Free cancellation until 12/18/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
$13
Free cancellation until 12/17/21
Booking.com$15
eDreams$15
Trip.com
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The Grand Thara was a complete dump. To be fair, it was cheap, but whatever low budget you're on, it's not worth it.

The place is very worn out. I dare you
to take the stairs and check out the floors. According to the furnishing, it seems like the happy days where sometime at the 70's, with a decorator from Soviet. There was a damp, unhealthy smell in the room. It didn't help to open the windows or turn on the air condition.

The breakfast was a joke. The tea tasted like coffee, and the toast was barely edible. On top of that some weird looking porridge that I didn't dare to taste.

On the good side, this hotel is situated in the middle of the city of Surat Thani. Another good thing about this place was the hot shower. Best so far of any place I have stayed at.
But the good stuff ends there.

Date of stay: January 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed 1 night when arriving late at the train station and leaving for Ko Samui the day after.

Strange hotel that may have been stylish 20 or 30 years ago. Nice room with air-con. Really cheap, so did the trick for us.

Date of stay: August 2011
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed for one night on our way to the islands. It was perfect for us- the room was huge,clean and comfy.

The girls on reception were so helpful and so were those in the restaurant.

We wandered around the nearby area to look for somewhere to eat, there wasn't anything around so we ate at the hotel restaurant. Lots of choice and good value. We ordered Thai curries which were tasty but sooooo spicy (and we love spicy food) so ask for it mild if need be.

5 minutes by tuk tuk to the bus station to get to koh samui ferry.

Great value.

Date of stay: August 2011
1  Thank Muggsley
Reviewed May 20, 2011

There is no point in criticising anything about this place as a room costs just THB 450 (about USD 14) per night, including a small Asian-style breakfast. That said, they did a good job in designing their website as the pictures make it look like it is quite modern with clean rooms. It is not. Basically it looks like a 30-year old hotel, the marble floor lobby and lift have all seen better days, the bathroom in my room was in a pretty bad state, and there are no frills whatsoever in the room (even the lightbulb in the bed-side lamp was missing). The bed was probably 30 years old as well, and I could feel the spring coils of the mattress against my legs as I tried to sleep. There is a old and noisey aircon machine which, even on Low setting, was too noisey to keep switched on all night.

But as I say, what can one expect for that sort of price. On the other hand - the sheets and towels were clean, the bathroom areas were superficially clean at least (though I would not wish to immerse myself into the bath tub without cleaning it myself!), the carpet in the room looked reasonably new, the fridge worked and was cold, there was a TV (but no channels other than Thai ones) and there is even free wifi in the lobby. For an overnight stop, while moving from Koh Samui up to Bangkok, who can complain!

The hotel is not really targeted at non-Thai visitors. Most signs are in Thai only, and I saw only two other westerners in the place. The check-in staff lady could speak English, but I had some problems the next morning explaining my taxi needs to the airport.

Beware that, unless you want to indulge in local Thai hawker food with the locals, there seem to be no restaurants of any sort in the area. I walked all around for maybe one hour, by the river and further into town, and saw nothing. Eventually dinner came from 7-Eleven. Indeed by 7:30pm the area was pretty dead - some traffic but very few people around. No surprise that there were no proper restaurants open.

So overall, if you're just passing through, are not too worried about cleanliness, are not hungry, and are on a budget, this is a perfectly good place to stay, and as cheap as you will get anywhere in the world for a hotel like this. Oh yes, and the view from the room was very nice (see attached picture), maybe worth the THB 450 by itself!

Room tip: Ask for high floor, facing river.
Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Gemakan
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed just the one night at the Grand Thara, breaking our journey between the Andaman coast and Koh Nang Yuan. Having spent the previous few days in a fanless hut in a forest, cheek-by-jowl with the wildlife, it was a real luxury to get a clean aircon room with a hot shower - and all for £8/night - what great value!
The communal areas were a little grubby but the staff did their best to help, with some limited English skills - a lot better than my bahasa!
Would also recommend the nearby Rabsangmai restaurant - excellent food and overlooking the Tapi River: fab tempura prawns and large beers!

Date of stay: February 2010