“Amazing rain forest”

Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Surat Thani
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 2, 2013

At first, I was scared to death about the stories I'd heard about the leeches in this park. It seemed as if it was practically guaranteed to be bitten by leeches here! And that was something I wanted to avoid at all cost, disgusted by leeches as I am. So, even though I was scared, we took the necessary precautions (a bit over the top maybe: hiking boots, two pairs of socks, one folded over the openings of the boots so they couldn't slip in, jeans into the other pair of socks, and deet covering it all). We got through without a bite! Even if I walked through the park paranoid as can be. But hey, it doesn't hurt to be careful, I guess. I did look at most folks with flip flops and shorts in horror, though. Oh well.

Anyway, so you *can* get through this forest unscathed. We didn't go far into the forest as it was already a bit later on the day, but the hike was awesome. We didn't see any of the really big fauna but we saw macaques and langurs, which was pretty nice! It was a very enjoyable hike and walking through a rain forest, which I had only seen on national geographic and the like before, was impressive on its own. The songs of the different species of cicada was pretty awe-inspiring and even a bit haunting.

So if you're scared of leeches like I am, don't let yourself be deterred by it. Maybe in the wetter seasons (we were here the beginning of november, start of the dry season), there may be more leeches. But if you take good precautions, you can get through! A final tip would be to take a LOT of water and actually drink it. I'm not a sweater and I was drenched when we finally got back to the entrance.

3  Thank k2881q
Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Breathtaking, beautiful and magical. We went with Elephant Hills and it was incredible and we felt very privileged to have seen this wonderful place.

2  Thank TPert
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The park is amazing, however during raining season it was closed during our stay. So if you want to hike and explore the lake, dry season gives you the best chance to enjoy your stay to the max.

3  Thank Frank B
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Best excursion ever..Rented a car in Phuket drove to the Khao Sok National park diretion, passed by the main entrance from our left side and continued driving about 30-40 km to the Ratchaprapa Dam, where u'll see the sign for the Ban Chieolarn (lake). Make sure you are there before 16:00 if you wanna stay in one of the floating hotels (double room starts from 800 baht), you'll have to take a boat and enter the priscine purity of the wild nature.."Beauty" is not the right word to describe...The whole universe is holding you in it's cradle..In between the massive mountain cracks covered with unknown greenery..sliding away on the glass like surface of the lake..slipping out of the "reality"..Simply priceless..Uncomparably graceful!

2  Thank Ksenia M
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Surat Thani is just like little Guilin. It has a lot of granite rocks and the scenery there is very nice.

1  Thank Angelyne T