“Beautiful green, animals rare”

Khao Sok National Park
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Surat Thani
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The surroundings were stunning, but on the little trips i made, i rarely saw any wild animals, which disappointed me a little. If you take longer trips, deeper into the jungle, or take a guided tour, you will likely see more of them.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Visited in July, was the wet season but we were fairly lucky with the weather other than a torrential downpour as we had an hour boat ride on Chiow Lan Lake! Had originally looked into Limestone Lake tours, had emailed them and they were very helpful but on getting a final price I thought it looked a bit expensive. Booked all of it ourselves in the end, and it ended up half the price that the same your with Limestone Lakes would have cost, a third of the price if you include the fact they nearly roped me into booking private transfers. Ended up getting public transport from Railay to Khao Sok, and Khao Sok to Koh phangan, easy and cheap. Ended up in nicer accommodation too, could have done it even cheaper if we wanted. We arrived after lunch, did the river tubing (350B), had dinner and the night in Khao Sok Las Orquideas resort, then were picked up for the overnight Lake tour (2500B) where we trekked to a cave, swam in the lake, had a late night and early morning safari and took another trek the following day, then visited a monkey cave on the way back to Khao Sok. Had a final night in Khao Sok and went on a canoe tour (600B) the following day where we saw snakes and kingfishers and then hopped on the bus to Surat Thani. A great break to our island tours and highly recomended place to visit. Khao Sok itself not an exciting town, however there are some great restaurants (Pawns) and the lake is just beautiful. Take the time to come here if you can.
Personally I would recommend spending a night on the lake, however the huts are very basic and there's a fair few bugs just to make you aware!

6  Thank Weri00
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have received so many private requests to post this, so please see the map of this unbelievable area for all the rafthouses.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm a big fan of eco toursism and anything that could help with the preservation of our planet earth so that was the primary reason to go for the Khao Sok National Park Jungle Safari tour.
The normal rate was 2,900 bahts and I was quoted a promotional rate of 1,400 bahts but the tour was so nice, I would have happily paid the full price.
I was picked up from my hotel at about 6:30am and it was a joint tour so there were tourists from many other hotels. We arrived at Khao Sok National Park at about 9am.
Next was the elephant trekking which was included in the price and visit to a small elephant village where they had a short elephant show and we were even allowed to feed the elephants. Along the entire trekking time we were able to spot various other animals in the safari and some really mischievous monkeys. This tour really brings you close to nature and animals, especially the elephants which makes this tour an unforgettable experience.
Then there was lunch at 11:30am, a bit too early for me as that's the time I normally have my breakfast hahahha but I enjoyed it.
Then we moved on to canoeing through the Khao Sok River, some people had to pay additional for canoeing but surprisingly my package included the canoeing too.
After finishing the canoeing trip down the river our same elephant was waiting to pick us up again and lead us to the exit.
Before leaving there was a short Thai classical dance show and a refreshing drink made fresh from the tropical fruits.
We left at almost 5pm and arrived at my hotel at 7pm.
Loved this trip and whoever loves eco tourism, I really recommend it to them.

4  Thank Nigel P
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Would advise people to do the full day excursion, you so to a food market en-route and sample the local fruits, then on to the elephant trecking and feeding the elephants, best thing I have every done, then the elephants do a show putting hats on your head and other things, then you have lunch typical thai food. In the afternoon you go canoeing down the river this is an experience I will never forget and the local people take you in to the rain forest and make you coffee using bamboo tubes to boil the water, continue down the river the scenery is breath taking, then on to see a wonderful waterfall which you can swim there as well. Santo the tour guide was brilliant really new so much about the area.

1  Thank Deborah B