“Big bed, clean and cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Serene Guest House

Serene Guest House
Ranked #7 of 68 Surat Thani B&B and Inns
“Big bed, clean and cheap”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Not only was the little place delightful and affordable, but the host drove us around in this cool sixty year old car for no extra charge! We tipped him, of course, because he was such a cool guy, and he was grateful. I have never stayed in a king sized bed before, and it cost us 10 USD! If you are staying here on your way to the islands and the host drives you to the Lamprayah bus station be sure to get to the bus early so you can have lunch at the little stalls by the station.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megan G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I came over from the islands and wanted a night of rest before my flight to KL - and what a wonderful place I found!

I loved the location in the quiet residential area, the spotlessly clean rooms and the complimentary water & breakfast. What made this place so special though, is its owners. They're kind and extremely helpful, just as the other reviews say. Both went out of their way to make me feel comfortable, provided information where I needed it and created a homely, welcoming atmosphere.

The room I stayed in was simple, great value, very clean and had nice little touches to it. It's almost a shame I was only there for a night.

Can definitely recommend and will certainly return.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank LifeOfKat
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We booked both rooms so had the whole guesthouse. We were picked up at the Lomprayah city stop which was about 30 mins. The guesthouse is in a pleasant residential street. It is spotlessly clean throughout, with good aircon in the bedrooms. They go out of their way to help. There is an office area where we were able to check in online for flights. A tv and lots of tourist info. There is a very helpful map with location of shops and places to eat. There is free water and coffee/tea with an honesty box for other drinks/snacks. Breakfast of toast was made for us which was a welcome surprise before an early taxi to the airport. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank galaxykent
Koh Tao, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I did not want this time to do a night boat session before grabbing my plane to Kuala Lumpur.
So I booked a night at Serene Guesthouse as it was close to the "big" shopping mall of Suratthani, offered taxi services to the airport and was really reasonably priced.

So i took my lomprayah boat ride to Donsak, then bus to Surat town ... and then came my first surprise : the owner called me to inquire when I would arrive : he was actually picking me up withou me having asked anything ! When you know Suratthani and the bad habits of taxi drivers towards tourists in south Thailand, this was a first good surprise.

We went to the guesthouse on his scooter. He showed me upon arrigval the general directions to Central World shopping mall, the nearby night market and other points of interest.

We arrived at his guesthouse (which is what it says : an actual guesthouse), I was offered a bottle of water, and accerss to the fridge with free water and a trust based choice of drinks.
The room is simple but very clean, the bed is comfortable, the sheets smell good and are spotless. There is a small desk inside the room and Wifi available at normal thai speed (300kb/s). There is also a Tv should you want to watch it.

The bathroom is shared with another room (there are 2 guest rooms in this house, up the stairs). But then again, I have to say the bathroom was spotless and smelled good, with some available washing products should you need them.

Only drawback to the room was the bit of noise in the morning with the road a bit behind the room. Then again I have a light sleep.

Breakfast was served by the owner in the morning : simple but good toasts and butter and coffee.
The owner does not speak a good english and obviously regrets it. He is a kind man and that is all I have to say about that.

He gave me a ride to the airport in the morning. His car is a bit worryingly old but he drives very very carefully. I was there in 20 minutes. He charged me 300 bahts as I was alone. The price is about the same as the one you pay to a travel agency who just drops you in an old shuttle bus with over the top air conditionning (the real cost of the bus being 100 bahts).

I forgot to mention the owner leaves at disposition 2 cycle bikes which are a bit old but do the trick if you want to go to the mall for example.

I highly recommend this place for the quality price, the service and the kindness of its owner.
Also, the night market is a must do in Thailand and this one nearby is no exception. This is not a touristic area (Suratthani isn't really anyway) you are into thai life, and it feels good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in front of the house if you are planning to stay more than a day to avoid the traffi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Yericus
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I had been travelling in Thailand for about a month and were ready to go to Bali. We only wanted to stay in Suratthani for a day to go to the airport and it took 30 mins from there. As I couldn't decide where to stay, I read a lot of good comments on Serene guest house and it was just perfect for our stay.

The room was so clean (exactly the same as the pictures shown on Agoda) and it was close to Tesco which was quite similar to Big C in Bangkok. The host was really kind and helpful. He did go out his way to help his guests and made them feel at home. He also owns a Taxi so if you want to go to the airport, you can just book it as checking in. If we had known about it, we would have done it but we already arranged it with the taxi driver who had taken us to the guest house. (I think, most taxi drivers who take you there will probably ask you if you want one)

Overall, we had a really good night sleep before the long flight and I will definitely stay at his place again if I go to Suratthani. I would recommend his guest house to anyone who goes to that area and is looking for a competitive rate. Thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jinalove1
sf bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We did not actually get to stay here, as it was fully booked along with most everything else in Surat Thani. However I did have a fanstatic experience with the owner/manager Nisita trying to help me find another hotel along with offering to help our family find transportation to the airport. She was very kind and prompt with her responces and clearly just wants visitors of Surat Thani to have a great time whether they stay at her guest house or somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank stephanie k
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem! Check out the comprehensive reviews on Agoda. We asked for a transfer from the bus and ferry drop off point to the guest house. The owner's uncle, Kassim, picked us up at 8pm and took us to the local market for a delicious pad Thai dinner. The market is a great place to hang out. He speaks limited English but a conversation can be had. We then got into the uncle's 1950-60s Nissan coupe, which was previously owned by his father!! It was a blast from the past. We arrived at the guest house and Uncle Kassim showed us around and explained everything we needed. We were flying out the next day so Uncle Kassim offered to drive us there in the morning for 300 bht. When we woke up at 630am, he even prepared a simple breakfast for us! The hospitality is quite excellent here, and the room was spotless. It's well recommended if you stay here for an airport transfer.

2 notes:

1) the common room area had a slight smell of a wet dog. I didn't see any dogs around though.

2) if you want an adventure, take the 30 min ride to the airport! That car is awesome and it's a ride you'll never forget. It's nerve wracking though. No seatbelts or airbags. The mirrors are near the front of the car hood. If there's an accident, you're probably toast. And you're going about 40-50km on the highway, getting passed by cars going 80kms/hr, not to mention the ones going the opposite direction. However, if you value your safety above all else, ask for a proper taxi to take you there. We live to tell the story!

• Stayed May 2013