“Best Hotel in Suratthani ?”
Review of Diamond Plaza

Diamond Plaza
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Surat Thani
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is what local people told me. In my opinion, the hotel itself is ok but not located in good location. It's pretty hard to find mini-mart or a place to eat out if you don't drive. The room was reasonably clean and basic amenities provided. Most of the breakfast are local Thai food with some western food but may not be the choices for foreigner. Overall, this hotel is okay with room rate 1100 THB.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed August 14, 2011

The hotel itself is okay, even though its location is bad. There is nothing around plus it is pretty far away from the railway station.
The room is good though we saw mould in several places.
I turned on my laptop and saw that there were several possible internet connections that required a username and password. I went down to the reception and asked for is and they handled me a piece of paper with the necessary information. The next day I realised that they had charged me 100 bath without letting me know that it wasn't free.
When we went down for breakfast and bell man stopped us and asked where we were going after the stay. We told him, that we needed to go to Koh Samui and he seemed very eager to help us. He could barely speak English, but we were informed, that we would be picked up at the hotel at 11:00 and dropped off at the boat that would be waiting for us and leave at 01:00pm. Everything sounded really nice, until we were dropped at the most random place 25 mins away from the hotel without any information. The man who worked here was the most arrogant and rude man we have ever experienced. I was furied when he told me we had to wait 2,5 hours at this rotten place before anything was going to happen.
NEVER MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THESE PEOPLE.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

After a long drive from Bangkok and as it was getting close to dusk the Diamond Plaza is the first "land mark" hotel as you enter Suratthani

The hotel was full with a local government conference and what could have been a pre selection meeting for Miss Thailand World - very, very busy - interesting mix of local folk!!
Reception staff were friendly and efficient and took the time to show us two rooms during a busy period.
The baby's cot arrived within 10min of check in and was clean.

The room was comfortable and clean the bathroom was larger than usual and had a separate shower.
The condition of the public areas was noticeably not up to standard - dirty windows, rubbish not cleaned up. This really detracted from what could have given us a much more favourable impression.

Operating only 2 out of the 4 lifts during a peak periods was a false economy

The "find" of the stay was the Salanchon (Sp?) restaurant
Located at the the back of the hotel (about 10min walk over the bridge) The local menu items were different, delicious and very cheap.

The "faux pas" of the stay was the breakfast a the hotel.
As one of the Thai conference delegates who shared the same table filled with plates and remnants of the previous guests on a fithly table cloth said to us...... " They call this the Khai Muk (translated means Peal) restaurant but it's more like the Khee Nok (translated means bird poop)
Rates as the worst managed breakfast, food and service wise, we've ever experienced.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sedang_Farang
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Ok,
this hotel is in Surat.
So if you are driving to Koh Samui, this is a good hotel to stay on the mainland if you have to overnight before you catch the ferry to Samui.
1100 bht a night, huge clean rooms
Typical Thai Hotel.
Breakfast typical Local Thai Hotel, caters for the Thai's mainly, though there was some western food.
This was ok.
Hotel was located about 1 km from the turn off the highway into Surat township.
Again, typical Thai hotel, good transit, good value for money.
Would recommended

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rickyb62
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Reasonably clean, basic breakfast but OK if nothing more than reasonable 2-3 star standard is expected. Large hotel convenient for overnight stay and onward travel to Koh Samui in the morning. Rooms acceptable, but they show typical "wearing" marks like most hotels owned and operated by Thais. Investment in renewal and refurbishment only happens if inevitable - so potentially a very nice hotel if the owners would not mind to invest a bit in maintenance. Restaurant OK for Thai dinner. Thais get lower rates than foreigners if they walk in for a room - about 1,000 Baht for a double room including breakfast is what you should get...

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I would only suggest staying here overnight if you have an early flight from the airport otherwise avoid! The staff and service are not good, and place itself is not great either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We stayed here overnight whilst travelling to Koh Samui. We flew from Bangkok to Surat Thani and then got the bus to the hotel. The hotel was only about £18 but I really regret staying there. This hotel is massive, but they couldn't give us a double room so we had to rearrange the two single beds together. There is nothing around where the hotel is so were forced to eat at the hotels own restaurant. There was a band playing some awful music and every few songs a different woman would get up and sing with them, badly.

The menu only had thai food but we didn't mind trying the local food, I wasn't that hungry so tried to order some plain rice & mixed vegetables, my partner went for another rice dish with shrimp but the waitress was cluless and despite pointing at the items on the menu we ended up with different things. The food didn't taste too bad, but then the next morning I was ill and this lasted for about a week - I had gastroenteritis, great!

Breakfast was very bad, we were up early as our transfer to the ferry was picking us up at 7am so in the end just opted for toast. However the packs of spread supplied tasted awful, as did the juices so not a good start to the day.

If you are desperate for somewhere to stay for the night before travelling on to Koh Samui then this hotel is just about bearable, but please avoid the food! It really put a dampener on our holiday and completely made me want to avoid Thai food which was a real shame. Also be aware that it becomes quite expensive travelling from Surat Thani to Koh Samui as I think there is just one company offering the transfers. I think it was about 150 baht on the bus to our hotel, then in the morning we were picked up at 7am in a pickup truck that everyone had to squeeze onto the back of with their luggage before getting dropped at where the coach was. This was the most disgusting, smelly bus I have ever been on and the journey takes around an hour as they stop somewhere for salespeople to get on and sell you their accommodation and transport. Then you finally get on the boat. I think the transfer to the ferry port and for the boat crossing was 450 baht. I really wish we had flown direct to Koh Samui, I really would urge everyone to strongly consider this option if you can afford it as otherwise it is a lot of travel and a wasted night in a horrible place unless you take the night ferry which didn't sound too great either!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple