“A truly memorable wedding in a beautiful location”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We spent 2 fantastic weeks at The Sarojin from 21st February to 8 March.
We didn't intend to stay for a 2nd week however our next hotel (Centara Grand Beach Resort in Krabi) lacked the style, intimacy and tremendous service that we had grown accustomed to during our first week at The Sarojin.
The main purpose of our visit was our Wedding and it was very special. I have attached a picture and I would like to say a huge thank you to Lesa and her team for the professional way it was carried out.
In the morning of the wedding we had a private breakfast on the beach, the wedding ceremony itsself was at 5.00 pm and planned in time for the sunset. Finally we had our own private BBQ on the beach in the evening. It was exactly what we wanted, private, romantic and just for us. Everything was organised from the flowers to the cake and all the staff seemed to be aware that we were the couple that were getting married that week and were full of smiles for us both.
As all brides to be are, I had worries - the the beach would be full of people watching us, that the photographs would not turn out as expected and that it would rain! I need not have worried as everything turned out brilliantly.

I want to cover 2 points that have been raised by reviewers and these were in our minds before we visited The Sarojin.

The Expense - Yes it is expensive however you have to take this into context, this is a very very good 5 star hotel and we travelled when the exchange rates from Sterling to Bhat was particullarly bad. Thailand has developed its tourist industry from early days of when The Beach made it popular, remember they did have a Tsunami and are still recovering from this. We used the hotel shuttle service on most evenings to go into Khao Lak town and eat there, and then alternated with the hotel evening events.

The Mosquito's - Yes you will get bitten by them. I was covered in bites however again I will stress this is Thailand - what do you expect? I took antihistamine, used tiger balm and some other cream I got from a chemist there. It worked and the bites cleared after a few days.

We stayed in a pool residence and were delighted to learn that on our return (after a one night stay in Krabi) we were given our old room back. This is an indication of the fantistic service the staff deliver.

My husband & I have already agreed we will retrun to The Sarojin - the tranquil location, the fantstic staff service and our beautiful wedding are etched in our memory.

There are newer reviews for The Sarojin

Reviewed March 23, 2009

Last week we stayed 7 nights at the Sarojin. It was one of the best decisions already for 2009!
We chose for the suite and had the best view, best service and best food and beverage one could wish for. As spoiled dutch travellers we were used to luxury, but the service at the Sarojin is something special.Perfect place for doing nothing but relaxing.Large swimmingpool and clean fitnesscenter. We will absolutely come back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2009

My wife and I (middle age) have just returned from a weeks stay at the Sarojin. We were recommended it by some friends. I read about it also on TA and was slightly concerned at a couple of the comments as I can be quite fussy about hotels. We had a fantastic time, the hotel was delightful as were the staff who could not do enough to make you feel welcome. We only went into town to pick up a couple of items but it is not much to write home about. The comments on here about the building work are something of a "red herring", in all honesty you cannot see anything and what is being constructed is pretty much completed anyway, it would not stop us visiting agin. We went on the boat trip which I would also recommend..."Tiger" and the crew looked after us fantastically, it was a great day out. If you don't want to eat at the hotel every night there are some beach retaurants within a few minutes walk that you can go to, fresh fish and shellfish....but don't expect a large wine list, one red and one white.....that said the shellfish was lovely.
For anyone looking for a "special" place for a holiday I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2009

The Sarojin was the main reason we started our trip in Phuket and not Krabi. I had read so much about the resort on Trip Advisor and couldnt wait to go.
Pick-up. Very good, driver chatty and obviously very proud of the hotel he works in.
Check-in. Again very good, uninspiring entrance leads into the reception which had the most amazing view of the lily ponds and restuarant in the distance with a lady in coolie had tending the water lilies knee deep in water. Very tranquil, sounds of birdsong all around. Greeted by all staff members and two lovely drinks and towels.
Taken to room (pool residence). Beautiful gardens. Entered the room and major disappointment. It just looked very faded and in need of a refurbishment. The front doors opening onto the pool had huge gaps around them and looked very old and tatty, the wood surrounding the mirrors either side of the room very dusty, floor very scraped and pool grouting needed re-doing. The bathroom sink was very stained and black around the plughole, the slats over the shower very dusty and did not feel very clean or hygenic for a bathroom. My husband asked how much a night it was and raised his eyebrows a tad when I told him it was almost £500 a night (didnt dare say it didnt include breakfast).
Main Pool - Lovely and a great size (glad no children under 12 or would have been a nightmare). Pool staff excellent.
Beach Club - Excellent, staff really friendly and used catermaran a couple of times, didnt feel rushed at end of day to vacate chairs.
Food - because breakfast was an exta £17+++ which would have been almost £40 a night we didnt partake. Which is a pity because of this we didnt even go to the restaurant so were not tempted to take a meal there. Did go to the beach barbecue which the staff did a brilliant job in setting up. Disappointed in the barbecue, you were given a little basket to put the food in and then gave to the staff who supposedly then grilled your choice. Both times wih the fish course and the meat the food arrived 5 mins later cold. Worked out that all the food was already cooked at the back and they just put on a plate what you gave them. This was grossly overpriced at £75.00 each. They ought to go to the Indigo Pearl Sunday brunch to see how it is done (whole tuna and pigs! plus everything else you can imagine).
Building Work - you can see the building work from the pool and hear it on the beach (didnt find out they had another beach club further down the beach until last day). It does detract from the overall ambience.
Spa - spa treatments good but after my massage cancelled the facial as there was a dreadful smell of Kerosene coming from the building site which invaded the whole resort for a couple of hours. The building site is in front of the spa.
Mosquitos - this is the big bug bear. I had read on previous reports that there were mossies and I went prepared. First two days didnt get bitten, but carrried on putting on their spray all the time, then got bitten in bed. Got up had shower and walked over to mirror to see another two huge bites on my forehead. Realised that it was because we were showering a lot there was a lot of standing water in the pebbles, also the tree trunk which was black and mouldy at the base was obviously a prime breeding ground. Yes I know you are going to say we are in a tropical country. Yes but we didnt get bitten anywhere else even Paradise Koh Yao which is in the middle of virgin jungle and I dont expect to get 20 -30 bites in a five star resort!
Conclusion. The staff make the Sarojin, they are the reason this hotel has won so many awards they are delightful. The resort does have a lot of charm and the ambience is one of restfulness. I think the resort is living on its reputation and is in need of room updating (should look at the bathrooms at the Racha - amazing). I think it is grossly overpriced for what it is and you can stay at some amazing hotels (which we did) with upgraded rooms/suites/penthouses, breakfast, meals and transfers included for less than you will pay at the sarojin. Khao Lak is a lovely area, if you go to the Sarojin or the Meridien be sure to go to the boathouse on the bikes and the peninsula at the end (turn right out of hotel).
If I were to go again I would wait until the building work was finished and I would have either a suite or a garden room try to get a package including breakfast as no one wants a huge bill when leaving. Pool rooms might be nice if on honeymoon, but not very private.

3  Thank louisa1956
AJHK, Owner and Executive Director at The Sarojin, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2009

Thank you for your review.

With regards to those areas where you felt greater attention should be made or corrective action taken, I can confirm the following;

The vanity unit in your pool residence has since been replaced. The units are individually handmade. The finished and polished stone remains slightly porous and as a result can discolour if liquids such as wine, coffee or toiletries are poured on the stone. 12 units are replaced by rotation each year unless a specific unit requires attention in the interim. In addition, the indigenous wooden shower trunk has also been replaced. The pool front windows have now been closed.

With regards to the food and beverage, the price for our a la carte breakfast which includes sparkling wine is GBP 15.50 per guest on current ex-rate (guests are free to order an unlimited number of dishes and rate is inclusive of all taxes and service charge)

Similarly, the Thai seafood beach barbecue is GBP 37 per guest on current ex-rate and not GBP 75. This is very much in line with comparable dining experiences elsewhere in Thailand.

The Seafood is selected by guests and cooked to order by our chefs. Most definitely there is no policy to precook any seafood. Guests love to choose their own fresh selection, cooking time is short and cooking to order also reduces wastage.

Mosquitoes exist throughout tropical Southern Thailand but have seldom been an issue at the resort. However, complimentary vials of citronella repellent are provided throughout the resort, mosquito repellent coils and burners are provided for each guest residence outdoor terrace and sala area and an in residence repellent tablet heater is also provided for guest comfort.

Lastly, we truly appreciate the very positive feedback for the staff and the service they provided.

Thank you.

Andrew J H Kemp
Owner and executive Director

Reviewed February 28, 2009

Wednesday 26th of November 2008, 7am at the Peninsula Bangkok, having stayed up all night researching my options and watching the sun rise over the city from my balcony, my heart was sinking watching the news of reported explosions and being stranded in my hotel room with my partner being told by our tour operator to stay another night and knowing we were facing missing out on the rest of our holiday down in Khao lak at the Sarojin. I went downstairs and met Billy from Diethelm who had been up all morning trying to find some customers who had flown in from China and had gone missing - he looked like he had searched the whole of Bangkok. Our 9am flight from Bangkok to Phuket was definitely not happening, nor was it for the foreseeable future either. The Concierge at the front desk was hastily taking consecutive fustrated calls from hotel guests facing the same predicament of not being able to travel, I said to him “looks like you are going to have a bad day”. 11am soon came round and the hotel started posting notes under doors increasing the security status. I teamed up with another British couple staying at the Penninsula and considered our options to get down south; we were on our 15 year anniversary, they were on their 40th – Planes were out, Buses took ages, trains did not go where we wanted to go – but there were two other options – private car and tuk tuk. We got some prices and found and booked a car to go down south. By this time the tour operator had arranged another night at the Penninsula and was cancelling days at the Sarojin, so we told the front desk that we were not staying any longer and were checking out before the deadline.

We grouped together and told our respective onward hotels we were coming, and jumped into our car for a grueling 12 hour drive down south to Khao Lak. After 3 stops at 3 hour intervals and our driver miraculously staying awake through the mountains on very sharp bends in the pitch black of night and all of us thinking we were lost in the jungle at points, we arrived at the Sarojin just before midnight to the warmest welcome I’ve ever received; Leisa, Jowell and other staff had gathered to welcome us. My partner was given a lovely bouquet of flowers, we sat down and had a drink before being shown across the stunning grounds to our room where there was a big surprise. Leisa and the team had upgraded us from a garden room to a suite with a lovely letter thanking us for making the effort to get there and a chilled bottle of bubbly waiting for us. A really nice surprise we were not expecting. We sat outside on the patio drinking the champagne with the sounds of the tropical nightlife in the background with stunning views over the grounds.

We woke late the Thursday, I had missed my planned diving on some wrecks as we came late and the diving crew had not been able to notify me of a pick up time with all the uncertainty surrounding if we would make it. We headed for breakfast which was at the Fiscus restaurant which was very reasonably priced for the very high standard of cuisine and certainly better priced than many London hotels and restaurants I could mention. Eggs Benedict were superb washed down with bubbly and concluded with a wonderful Latte. We did not get any “sales pitch” by anyone either like some other reviews have eluded to – in fact the staff were very warm and friendly and our only chat regarding extras was briefly chatting with Jowell to finalise some menus for a private barbeque we had pre-organised before coming, the pick up times for the elephant trekking and to get some spa menus for my partner.

We relaxed on the Thursday on the beach, checked out Mr. Neug’s and had dinner in the Fiscus restaurant in the evening under the Fiscus tree. Tony was a pleasure in conversation and was very knowledgable on wines. The Dinner menu is amazing and puts some Micheline starred restaurants in London to shame. Price again – very reasonable– expect to pay 70 to 100 pounds for perhaps the best 3 course dinner you have ever had including wine for 2 people, not per head !. All the fish dishes are seriously amazing, I’d wish I’d booked a fortnight to try the entire menu after eating there the first night. Scallopes, Tuna and Red Mullet dishes are especially good.

Friday we did the Canoe/Elephant trekking trip with a beautiful lunch in the national park near a waterfall. Tiger made me laugh, a lot – a very romantic, adventurous and fun day out rolled into one.

Saturday I got up early and went diving whilst my partner did the whole day package in the Spa which she loved. Dinner again at the Fiscus restaurant, Sunday much the same.
Each day we came back to the room the staff had left little surprises – like the towels folded as elephants after our elephant trekking, and many fishes made out of leaves laid out swimming in the same direction on our bed after I came back from diving. Lots of little touches like that.

Monday we relaxed and had our romantic barbecue in the evening on the beach. We had been planning to stay on a couple more days on the Sunday with our travel agent to wait for Bangkok to open up, but we got a call from them on the Monday evening changing our plans again and telling us we had to cut our stay short and leave 4am the next day for a very long trip home via Kuala Lumpar and Singapore.

We missed the opportunity to go on Jowells planned island getaway sadly which we really wanted to do – but the troubles in Bangkok, or should I say our tour operator, dictated our stay.

In summary I will say this – if you like the Four Seasons (like us), you are going to love the Sarojin. Under the circumstances, it was definitely worth the effort to get to – even in a Tuk Tuk if we had to. I really don’t understand some of the previous negative comments posted about the Sarojin – we certainly think it’s a fabulous hotel living up to everything it advertises and represented excellent value for money when compared to other hotels and restaurants stayed in and eaten at around the world in this league. I would not limit this hotel to honeymooners, in fact it’s suitable for any couple at any age who want a warm, friendly relaxed romantic getaway with a personal touch and excellent cuisine, facilities and the best, most well thought out private excursions.

If you are looking for that “je ne sais quoi” magic touch – you won’t find a better place to stay in Thailand than the Sarojin.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MisterBen
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Our lasting impression of this resort has to be its staff and the impeccable service, from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are truly made to feel at home with unobtrusive and thoughtful service from charming staff. The resort itself is relatively small but very peaceful even when busy and well laid out. The rooms (We were in a Sarojin Suite) are spacious and again the attention to details leaves you wanting for nothing, a lounge, good sized outside terrace and a great room service menu gives you the option of really switching off from the outside world. The resort offer various dining options all of which offered wonderful food, great menus and a good wine list. The hotel is on a long relatively unspoilt beach which offers a handful of beach bars if you fancy a casual lunch or a cool beer. Whilst the beach is not the best we have seen in Thailand it is uncrowded and ideal for long quiet beach walks. Whilst we were there the hotel also arranged a wedding, having seen many weddings taking place in hotels around the World I have to say that this was by far the best, exceptional attention to detail and a far cry from the conveyor belt style weddings that you see in other resorts.

Reviewed February 24, 2009

This is the most fabulous place to spend your Honeymoon. From the moment we arrived we felt like part of the family. The welcome made you feel really special as was every minute we spent at the hotel. To start its a lovely quiet location in wonderful grounds. The rooms are spacious - we had a pool residence and it was worth the upgrade. They also have a wide range of trips that you can do. I had never snorkeled before but with help from the staff I managed to do this and loved it. I cannot recommend the hotel enough.