“I will never understand the great reviews of this place”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have never been steered wrong about a hotel by Tripadvisor until I booked the Sarojin. My wife and I were so excited to relax and enjoy the beach/hotel after traveling around SE Asia. When we checked into the hotel, we were both immediately disappointed. The hotel had a very tired/brown look to the grounds. Our room was so-so with a mattress that was as hard my college dorm mattress. The bathroom/shower setup was awkward and not very well done. The pool itself is self was meh and the beach was nothing special. The service was also indifferent. This felt more like a 2-3 star hotel than a five star hotel. In addition, the prices on everything at the hotel were comical for the quality of the product/service. We were hugely dissapointed and were ready to leave.

Thanks to our travel agent, we were able to check out after the first night for almost a full refund on the remainder of our stay and switched to a five star hotel in Phuket that actually felt like a five star hotel. This was the first time we have ever changed hotels after check-in.

10  Thank Travelbudsz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed for 1 week in mid March 2014, our last visit was back in 2006, can I just say that the Sarojin has only got better. Kade and his team are remarkable in the way they look after you and nothing is too much trouble.
The hotel is beautiful, our pool residence was a lovely, clean and well equipped.. The gardens are cared for with love and the food and service is second to none.
We will return for our third time..

2  Thank NIGEL E
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have been at The Sarojin for 1 week and have a few days left to go. We originally booked here on a recommendation from our close friends and are glad we did. The holiday was for our 29th anniversary and we try to "head east" as the weather around Feb/Mar is usually good... It has been stunning, blue skies, 28 - 35 c each day and as The Sarojin is set on a beautiful stretch of beach in a bay, it is like I imagine paradise...

The hotel car met us at Phuket Airport for the 1hr 15min drive to the hotel, cold towels, water, Singha and a comfortable air conditioned drive later and we were greeted at the hotel with a welcome drink of tamarind juice and more cold towels... Good start. Swift check-in and we were informed that they had upgraded us from a Pool Residence to a Sarojin Suite as it was our special occasion. I was grateful on the one hand, but apprehensive on the other as we chose the Pool Residence over a suite not because of price, but to have our own pool, but my misgivings were soon allayed as we had a plunge pool / jacuzzi on the balcony as well as 2 sun beds and table / chairs. The extra lounge space, drinks fridge etc, made for a comfortable stay and when I saw/experienced the main pool, I quickly realised that the small pool in a pool residence wouldn't have seen much use.... The room was well appointed with all you would expect, 2 person bath, rain shower, conventional shower, 2 toilets, small kitchen area for tea/coffee/wine fridge/conventional fridge etc

The main pool is superb with lots of sun beds, 2 person day beds & cabanas. It has a jacuzzi area and is massive. It was warm (which I like) and even depth throughout. The private beach area is also large, lots of beds, staffed and has a great sea breeze.

2 restaurants. Ficus ( breakfast & European) and The Edge (Asian). Both excellent, the food here is fantastic. A word about breakfast. Included in the price, comprehensive from continental to fully cooked to Asian, served from 6am to 6pm... That's right.. All day, whenever you feel like it. This may sound like a "so what" but I hate either having to rush to get breakfast in before 10am or skipping it because I'm not hungry... Here you just have what you want, when you want and drink as much bubbly with it as you can stand!

Trips aplenty for those that want it, I went to Similan Islands snorkelling and will be elephant trekking tomorrow. I guess I will edit/update this review once holiday is over and add some photo's, but in case there is anyone out there wondering whether or not to come here... My advice is... Unless you want busy/nightlife holiday, do it......

6  Thank FergusPatterson
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This place is pretty impossible to fault. If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxed time in beautiful tranquil surroundings then go ahead and book. The staff are charming and efficient. Aoy! Looked after us particularly well. We had hummed and hawed between a pool room or suite. As we had just stayed at the Shore at Katathani ( highly recommended) with an incredible infinity pool we decided to forgoe the pool and go for extra space. They are on the first floor and very peaceful and private but sure both are equally good. What a stressful decision to have to make! The concept of breakfast until 18.30 is fantastic. Wondering if this will start be copied at other establishments. Hope so! Not being much of an early breakfast fan I tend to miss breakfast 50% of the time. This is beyond breakfast though. No buffet sat around in the heat. An extensive A la cart menu with free flowing sparkling wine. Try the parma ham, marscapone , eggs and tomato chutney. A spot of sun bathing around the beautiful peaceful pool then brunch to avoid the midday sun ,perfect! The snorkelling trip on the Lady Sarojin was amazing A beautiful boat and the islands and snorkelling are breath taking. A fabulous lobster and seafood lunch and lots more sparkling wine with some lovely company as numbers are restricted to 12. Yes it is expensive, but worth pushing the boat out if you can. Excuse the pun. There have been a number of comments about the Sarojin being pricey. Basically it's UK prices. If you really need lunch after the sumptuous breakfast head to the scenic and friendly Boatyard 10 mins to the left of the beach. Nice for a beer or Mojito and funding the fishermen struck by the Tsunami. Half price cocktails at the hotel beach front restaurant nice at sunset time. Try the Aperol cocktail. We ate at this restaurant a couple of nights. Lovely fresh fish and well priced. We ate at Ficus on our final night as we had to leave mid evening so not worth participating in the seafood bbq. Fabulous food and again reasonably priced. A little lacking in atmosphere but guess most people at the bbq. We ventured into Khao Lak a couple of nights and the part of town just before this, cant remember the name. Dont be tied to the shuttle bus. Its 200 baht for 2 one way but only 300 baht for a cab usually the hotel car. Its not all that but worth a look at the market and some reasonable cheap restaurants around. We found a littlebar called Lazy with a guy who sang with a guitar. Most impressed his Eglish stretched to the whole of America pie. Borrow a couple of bikes and cycle to the waterfall. Dont do it in the middle of the day on one of their hottest days of the year though! We were even very well looked after on our trip to the airport. A comfortable air conditioned 4 x 4 with choice of music and a Singha with a lovely driver A beautiful retreat good for the soul. I just about managed not to sob as I left. Oh and the spa treatments are excellent . Still trying to think of how it could be it improved. Got it, we had an earlyish night one night and borrowed a dvd and the tv was a little small but that really is digging deep to find something. Honestly a superb hotel in a wonderful setting on a beautiful beach. Enjoy if you are lucky enough to go!

1  Thank Emma131
Reviewed March 17, 2014

From the moment we stepped out of the car until the moment we sadly had to leave we had a wonderful stay! The staff are all highly motivated and extremely efficient and friendly. We stayed in a fantastic room with a private plunge pool! The location is wonderful and the grounds are very beautiful as is the location on the beach! The food was excellent! It was awesome! Can't wait to return.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cathie S
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a sublime week at The Sarojin. I can only add further praise to the recent reviews and at the same time wonder about the negative reviews and how some people are clearly never going to be happy with their lot.

We stayed in room 601- a pool residence. We used the pool and relaxed in our garden which was private, secluded and tranquil. We then spent our other days at the main pool. It is large with a Jacuzzi attached and there were always plenty of sun loungers available. The poolside service is unobtrusive but when you want to order a drink or lunch, they are efficient and quick.

The whole Hotel is set in magnificent grounds with wonderful bird songs to be heard all day. A short stroll from the pool is the beach with the whitest sand and turquois sea I have seen in a long time. It is truly a beautiful beach made even more special by the fact that water sports are banned along the coastline meaning all you can hear is the unbroken sound of the waves washing on the shore. Negative reviews have commented on the proximity of the neighbouring resorts and how this detracted from a 5 star beach experience. This is rubbish and pure snobbery. The beach never felt crowded and you can take a leisurely stroll for miles along the beach without seeing more than a handful of people at any one time.

The food at the various restaurants at the resort is very good. The Thai food at The Edge is excellent. I didn't feel the wine list at The Edge was extensive or anything special and like everywhere else in Thailand the wine was expensive. The breakfast is a la carte which is definitely a treat and much better than the usual buffet/table service experience at other resorts and it is great to be able to wake up whenever you want and know you can still have a beautiful breakfast waiting for you. We ate at Ficus the night of our arrival but once we had eaten at The Edge there was no comparison and went there for the majority of our stay. I have one minor criticism to make about the food. On several occasions at breakfast, and when I ate at Ficus, my food was luke warm. I think, in part, this was due to it being served on cold plates. However, my overall experience was of tasty, fresh food.

Last, but not least, the service at The Sarojin is exceptional. The staff throughout the resort are friendly, courteous and always helpful. Service is unobtrusive and there is absolutely no up selling. Several of the negative reviews have mentioned pushy staff and up selling. I can honestly say that the staff at the The Sarojin make this place what it is: a resort with exceptional service, attention to detail and a peaceful place to stay; all that you want from a vacation. I would especially like to thank the housekeeping staff who did a magnificent job at always ensuring the room was well stocked with fresh towels, water etc and the staff at The Edge who were friendly and showed care and attention regarding my nut allergy.

Thanks very much for a wonderful holiday!

1  Thank Sarah526
Reviewed March 13, 2014

If you are looking for something truly special, appreciate tranquility, peacefulness and superbly personalised service where nothing is too much trouble, then the Sarojin is the perfect choice. Combining excellent food in a beautiful secluded and natural environment, away from the main tourist strips but with beach front access, a wonderful spa and private boat to access local islands, the Sarojin offers understated quality and surpasses the accolades it receives. The whole staff team are exceptional and we would happily make a return visit!

J & K, UK