“Great wedding destination”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I chose the Sarojin to have our wedding. They did not disappoint. Everything was absolutely perfect and the staff very helpful with whatever we needed. We traveled many miles without knowing if the pictures on the internet would with be the same as the resort. Honestly, the pictures didn't give it justice and exceeded our expectations. All communication was done via email for the wedding and they did an excellent job decorating and taking care of all of the wedding details. It was so nice to relax as a bride and not have to worry about any of it. We would highly suggest anyone looking to have a destination wedding or a wonderful place to honeymoon or vacation to do it at the Sarojin! The rooms and grounds were just beautiful!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,752)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Firstly, I need to explain that when I read some reviews on trip advisor I feel that some people are overly harsh. What I am about to say may come across overly harsh also, I promise you it isn't, it's just the truth. This hotel is clearly very good in most areas. We stayed in a pool residence, and loved the room despite there being a leak from the ceiling on our second of five days. This did not detract from our stay. There is a wonderful pool at the hotel which I have to say is very diligently looked after by 'Kob' who runs around all day serving food and drinks. That guy is amazing and deserves special recognition. The breakfasts are well cooked and resemble those served in top London restaurants. However, and I do not say this mildly, it is really unfortunate that some staff simply cannot speak English to a high enough standard to be able to take your order correctly. On three mornings in a row, despite pointing to the menu and speaking clearly, the order was delivered wrongly. I could understand one morning, but three? I'm not saying that my Thai is any good but I doubt a top London hotel would employ me if I couldn't understand basic English. And for those who disagree with me, I'm sorry, you simply cannot charge Sarojin prices with basic problems such as these. On our final night I approached the night concierge staff and explained that I needed a 03:45 hrs wake-up call. I reiterated the time three times and even wrote it down to clarify. It may not seem like a big difference to you but when I received my wake up call at 03:00 hrs with 23 hours of travel ahead of me I really did not find it funny. Again, these sorts of issues should not arise from a prestigious hotel.
The majority of staff are helpful and polite, especially Kob, Mart and Yuii. Some staff however appear surly and never managed to raise a smile..... Not good customer service!
That said, the Sarojin is still a good hotel, however the management here do need to iron out some of these problems if they are to charge the rates they do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights at the beginning of April this year. We really enjoyed this hotel and had a very restful stay. The staff were superb and very friendly and really tried hard to make us happy. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the spa was very very good. We wood be delighted to go back to the Sarojin anytime.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay of 5 nights at the end of October 2012 for our honeymoon.

Firstly, Khao Lak is a little remote, so it's perfect for avoiding the hordes found at all the well known tourist spots in Thailand. From memory it takes a little over an hour to get to The Sarojin from Phuket airport and the hotel transfer is very comfortable, with cold drinks, cold towels, knowledgeable drivers and a good music selection.

There were a lot of couples checking in when we arrived and we were advised that there would be about an hour wait for our room, so we wandered around the hotel and had lunch at the Thai restaurant by the beach while we waited. The food was great and fairly reasonably priced given the captive audience! We returned to this restaurant a couple more times during our stay and always went away happy :)

When our room was ready we were taken up to a Sarojin Suite, presented with a bottle of bubbles and advised that as it was our honeymoon we were being given a free upgrade from our booked Pool Residence, which was vey unexpected. The Sarojin Suite is very large, with a huge bathroom (and an amazing tub), separate lounge area and terrace with a small jacuzzi. The room was quite private, although the terrace could be easily seen from the main grounds of the hotel. I noticed that the Pool Residence was immediately below us, so they weren't as private. The only drawback of the room were that the jacuzzi was extremely hot in the middle of the day (from the sun, not heating), so not really a pleasant place to relax, I did look a little enviously down at the pool in the pool residence, although chances are that would have been warm as well. The room was in very good condition (before we travelled I had read some reviews on TripAdvisor about the rooms being run-down, so was a little apprehensive, but fortunately this was definitely not our experience).

The hotel pool is gorgeous, with three couples cabanas (I guess you would call them) that you could walk into the pool from. As the hotel was fully booked it was a little difficult to grab one of these (I noticed some couples would stake out a spot and leave their towels there while they went off elsewhere... hmmm) but the couple of times we grabbed one in the late afternoon it was bliss, with the hanging curtains able to be moved to block the sun if needed. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pool and a couple of little cabanas set back from the pool in the gardens. The cocktail service around the pool was excellent, and often the staff brought around complimentary freshly sliced fruit.

The beach was quiet and completely flat (very safe and easy for swimming). There were lots of sun loungers with umbrellas and staff on hand to provide as many fresh towels as you could want. There is both cocktail and food service at the beach, and again the quality was excellent. We'd been in Thailand for 3 weeks by the time we came to the Sarojin and after eating almost exclusively Thai food I was tempted by the burgers I saw everyone eating on the beach. They were amazing!

The ficus restaurant served an la carte breakfast, which was of very good quality, and I think we ate there every morning. Even the coffee was good, for those of us who miss our espressos while travelling. We had dinner there a couple of nights and the food was very good quality Western food, but a little pricey. Beware the mosquitos when eating outside: the staff provide lit mozzie coils for under the tables and mozzie spray, but even when I was covered in spray the little buggers feasted.

While at the Sarojin we did the following "activities":
1. Candlelit dinner by the waterfall: simply stunning. The food, service and setting were all magical. These are memories I will remember for the rest of my life.
2. Tour of Phang Nga bay: this doesn't seem to be available any more, we spent a day with our own private guide and driver out in the bay on long tail boat, there was sea canoeing through the caves, a visit to James Bond island, lunch at the fishing village and a visit to Wat Thamsuwankuha. It was a really great day, again the staff were amazing, we were pampered with cold towels and drinks, and we popped another bottle of bubbly to enjoy as we were cruising along in the long tail boat.
3. Thai cooking class by the river: we were taken out on pleat boats through a small, mangrove covered river, which looked like something out of the Amazon, it was stunning. Once the small river reached the main river we were taken on a fast boat ride to the local produce market, which was excellent, there was not another tourist in sight, and the variety of produce was incredible, with quite a few "delicacies" we'd never heard of before. After the market we were taken (again the in the pleat boats) to a shady spot by a river where a dining table had been set up along with a cooking station. We cooked our selected entree's and mains, with the chef being very helpful (and a little concerned for my welfare with the knife!) and sat down to a beautiful three course meal, again with drinks included. We didn't want to cook many of the dished from the original menu, so we had requested to cook some of the foods we'd eaten elsewhere in Thailand and the staff were very obliging. At the end of the lunch we were presented with the recipes and our aprons and our driver took photos of us with the chef.

The activities from the hotel are pricey, but they were also really decadent and private, and perfect if you are spoiling yourselves on your honeymoon.

We also wanted to go SCUBA diving in the Similan Islands, which weren't going to open until the start of November. The Sarojin arranged for us to go with a tour operator Sea Bees to an area that was available for diving, and the experience was excellent.

We did make use of the spa a few times while at the Sarojin. All of the spa rooms are open air, and unfortunately the beastly insects really enjoyed feasting on me as soon as the sun dipped, so if you're like me I'd recommend booking your treatments early in the day. Again, the treatment quality was good (but not exceptional), and a little pricey.

Overall, I'd recommend staying at the Sarojin, particularly if you want to be away from the crowds and are happy to pay a little more for food and activities while away.

Room Tip: Sarojin Suites were very private and large. The Pool Residences weren't as private but the pools...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

After so long I think it's only right to commend this hotel on its unriveled hospitality and service! After a 10 day holiday in October 2011 I have not forgotten this piece of paradise. The hotel staff were amazing and attentive without being intrusive. The suite was spacious and finely furnished, the bathroom was wonderful with a massive stone bath, which was lit with candles and filled with petals upon arrival. Every attention to detail is taken care of. I strongly recommend any excursions offered by the hotel every excursion we did, we enjoyed and the tour guides are lovely! Worth every penny! The food in the hotel was lovely. We tried several themes night's and also the private beach bbq and waterfall dinner experience, words cannot explain how romantic and special it was. The spa unfortunately I only experienced once at the end of my stay. If I would have known how skilled they were i would have booked many more massages. The best massage i ever had. The service is second to none and if you choose to stay here you will not regret it! Can't wait to go back :-).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Sarojin for 8 nights in mid-March. It was beautiful. We wanted luxury without flamboyance, excellent service without being fawned over, peace and quiet but with enough to see and do in the local area; so the layout and design, staff, ambience, service, facilities, food, beach and accommodation were perfect for us.
On arrival at the airport we could not see anyone waiting for us as arranged, but we eventually found him outside and from that moment on everything was simply taken care of so we could totally relax. Check in was smooth and doubly delightful as we were given an upgrade from a pool residence to a suite; this was so spacious and has the quietest and most effective air con we have ever experienced. As others have noted the hotel also provide the most beautiful and thoughtful touches in the accommodation to complete that feeling of being really looked after.
The all-day breakfast is a wonderful idea and works a treat, getting up and eating whenever suits you. We ate 3 evening meals in the Ficus where the food was superb; worth every penny and not expensive given the surroundings and quality. We also ate in the local restaurants on the beach; White Sands and Ao Thong, the latter being our favourite. The food was obviously cheaper than within the Sarojin, but the quality, quantity, cleanliness and service were excellent.
We took a snorkelling trip on The Lady Sarojin and whilst it was very well organised the ride was a bit too ‘bumpy’ for us. We found our scuba trip to Similan Islands with Sea Bees was slower but a more pleasant ride. Incidentally Sea Bees, based in Khao Lak, are a very well organised, helpful and professional company, with good equipment, and don’t cram in the numbers per trip. For us there was not a whole lot to see when snorkelling but the guides found a beautiful and unusual star fish which looked more like a five sided sea urchin. To be honest the dive at the Similan Islands No. 8 sadly did not really impress, but again, there were a few specimens and corals to bring a smile.
Using the hotel bikes we cycled to watch the local sunrise and then onto the Rainbow Waterfall. Unfortunately one bike got a flat tyre but we called the Sarojin and were rescued without fuss.
The hotel swimming pool is massive; a joy for swimming, however like the sea it feels more like a bath than a refreshing dip! Somehow it doesn’t seem right to complain about things being too hot considering the freezing and dull weather back home!
With reference to comments which could put off some potential visitors, yes, there are some dogs on the beach but they are not ‘strays’ and yes there is a bit of plastic rubbish on the far side of the beach, but not near the hotel. The beach, sea and local area are very clean. The hotel has its own section of beach ; whilst it is not totally private, there is no problem finding somewhere to lay either in the sun or shade and of course you are well looked after whilst you are there with drinks and fruit.
The hotel spa is in a beautiful natural setting with everything you need provided and has the perfect ambience. It is expensive but you are paying for the wonderful surroundings and excellent quality treatments. We also had a massage (Thai foot) on the beach; 3 tables in an open hut. It was a different experience but it was clean, cheap and the therapists were happy and extremely skilled.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hummingbird92
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Albeit just a short 3night stay at the end of our 2.5 weeks, an amazing time at The Sarojin. We had a hired car from Phuket which was parked for us and kept very safe. The Pool Residence is well worth the extra and our special request of a room close to the beach was met- the beach, main pool and breakfast all but a short walk. The rooms are fantastically comfortable and well-sized. We were celebrating our honeymoon and from champagne in the room on the first night, artistically spread leaves on the bed spelling 'Happy Honeymoon' - the room was turned down for night and after a day at the pool or day out it was lovely to come back to the great maid serviced room.
A particular highlight was the day excursion - Elephant Trekking, Pleat Boat. Driver Moo, guide Yuii were FANTASTIC! We had a great 6 hours in their company and guidance and the elephant and boat trips were great fun. Yuii took the extra time to take us to a cashew nut factory, local market and Moo proved a great waiter (as well as driver!) for our lunch at a private beach. Drinks and cold towels were on hand at all time. Clearly a highlight of our honeymoon and thanks to Yuii and Moo.
To round our stay off we booked the private dining on the beach- superb experience and made even better by our waiter/ photographer!/ lantern bearer Sea! A lovely person and exceptional chef Tun.
A shame the Beach BBQ was not running more frequent each week- Friday or a Saturday also but overall a great place and wonderful staff. Another night or 2 would be nice but time to head on and thank you for a great stay

Room Tip: We stayed room 606-pool residence. It is southerly aspect so great sun on pool all day. residences o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple