“5star Thai resort”
Review of The Sarojin

The Sarojin
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

The Sarojin is a luxury 5 star resort designed for relaxation.

Airport transfer was prompt-note this is about 1hr15mins north of Phuket airport. Cold towels and bottle water were immediately offered
Check-in was friendly and efficient. Again cold towels were offered and a much appreciated (after our long flights and transfer) mock tail.
Room is excellent-the rooms have a luxury feel with a large comfortable bed and couch, large wardrobe, and luxurious outdoor feel bathroom
Included a la carte breakfast at the Ficus restaurent is VERY GOOD. Sparkling, fresh juices and reasonable espresso are offered in addition to a nice variety of breakfast options. This restaurant also offers a great modern food menu for lunch and dinner.
The Edge is a more Thai styled restaurant and is located on the edge of the beach. We LOVED the food here.
The pool is great and the unspoiled beach is even better.
Non motorised watersports (bodyboards, kayaks 1or2person, windsurfer,sailing boat & catamaran) are all free.
The staff are FANTASTIC. Dawid (manager) is charismatic and will personally dine with you should you desire. All the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful-nothing is too much trouble. They are friendly and will talk to you as little or as much as you wish. You can learn so much Thai culture from these friendly staff.

Negatives?
The location will not suit all but this is a characteristic not a fault.
Activities are dearer than "off the street" however there is additional service. On our elephant trek a Sarojin staff member carried my DSLR camera while we enjoyed the ride. He took numerous photos-most of which were very good. He carried drinks for us too. And when it started to rain out came a pair of rain jackets. Guests from another resort got soaked and only have their own photos to show for it.
Out temple tour with 'Jack' was fantastic. With a tourism degree, and in depth Monk knowledge, we had an unforgettable day that will not be forgotten.
Food is not cheap-The two restaurants offer beautiful food full of flavor and with excellent service but everything is dearer than local restaurants. Note that many local places do not exercise the same food handling skills of The Sarojin and few offer the views and service the hotel does. Many guests of neighboring resort guests also dine at the Sarojin so that may say something too.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank GlennNis200
Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

997 - 1,003 of 1,773 reviews

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Where to start?! We spent ages looking at a million and one Honeymoon destinations. We settled on The Sarojin after readin countless amazing reviews... all well deserved! From the minute we arried at the hotel (to welcome drinks and cold towels), to the day we left, everything was amazing. The service was incredible - something you do not experience in the UK! Very attentive, polite and a 'nothing is ever too much' to ask attitude made for an endearing and pleasant stay. We tried the amazing cooking class, took a bike ride to the nearby waterfall, had a candlelit dinner on the beach (absolutely perfect), enjoyed a perfect breakfast every single morning, had a couples massage at the sublime spa and woke up everyday to perfect sunshine!! Which, after six weeks of rain every single day, we were incredibly lucky to enjoy! The Sarojin was relaxing and rejuvinating - everything you want after the stress of planning a wedding. Out of the way of the larger resorts yes, but we loved that. The rooms may look a little tired but remember, this hotel was re built in 8 months after being wiped out entirely just 4 days before opening by the infamous and incredibly sad Boxing Day tsunami. Look at the bigger picture and not a small crack, or chip of paint and you cannot be disappointed. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Pool room was amazing and felt private even with a room above.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelGuru226
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having read some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little worried about staying at The Sarojin but I couldn't find fault with this hotel. Everything was perfect.

Firstly, the service was just fantastic. Staff were helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The owners should be proud of the standards they have set and which are being maintained. On the day I checked out, my partner left early and I was leaving much later so I left my bags at reception and went to the pool. I had not bothered to ask for a late checkout and was happy to relax by the pool. About 30 minutes later a lady from reception came up to me and said they had been looking all over for me. They had prepared a day room for me and I was free to use it any time until I checked out. This was done without any prompting from me and at no charge. It was a very nice gesture and typical of the standards of service at The Sarojin.

The all day breakfast (you could order a la carte from a selection of dishes) is a great idea and not having to get up at a certain time and rush to a breakfast buffet was nice. The food at breakfast and in general (both Thai and Western) was very good and the free flow sparkling wine at breakfast was a nice touch.

We stayed in a pool villa (which I booked through a third party website at a very good rate - worth checking around since The Sarojin seems to offer some good off season deals) and I found the room to be perfect. The right size, well appointed and nicely laid out. Ok, it wasn't the same quality as a room at The Aman but then I wasn't paying those prices. In the end we didn't use the pool much in our villa since the common pool is so nice and despite the hotel filling up towards the end of our stay we never felt a crowd around the pool.

The beach that the hotel is located on is a really nice sandy beach although we didn't swim in the sea since a number of people had been stung by jellyfish recently and we didn't want to take a chance. The resort is a bit secluded and one of the issues with going during the rainy season (which we did) is that many of the beach front restaurants that are either side of The Sarojin were closed and so there were not many options immediately around the resort.

We didn't do any of the activities that The Sarojin offers so I can't comment on them but we did use the shuttle into town (which goes several times a day) and the mountain bikes to cycle to the waterfall which is about 25 minutes away. Worth going into town once but there really isn't much to see there.

All in all a wonderful experience and I would certainly go back. After I checked out there was a thank you letter from the owners that was waiting in my email Inbox. A nice touch.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the restaurant since they lack privacy.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Been wanting to write a review for Sarojin since we visited in 2011, September. Finally I have got around to do it !

Selecting Sarojin as the destination for our Honeymoon is one of the best decisions I have made… It truly is an awesome place and is an ideal romantic getaway.

The pampering started with the Airport pickup.. Cool box with ice cold drinks, cold face towels and a remote to select the music greeted us as we got into the cab for the one hour journey to the resort from the airport.

We had booked the pool residence, but on arrival we were told that they would upgrade us for free to the Suite which was a very pleasant surprise. One word to describe the suite, AMAZING ! it was very large and had all modern amnesties.. It had a lovely stone bath out in the balcony which was lovely…

The all day breakfast was very good.. They had a very good selection on the menu and you can have it pretty much any time of the day ! We did try the restaurants and they were good as well.

The shuttle to the city was very useful and we made use of that a few times. The food at the restaurants in the town were naturally much cheaper ! You can also walk along the beach and try the restaurants from other hotels around!

We also visited the orphanage run by the management of Sarojin..it was nice to meet the children and donate some food items for them !

There are many activities that can be arranged for you by the resort. They are a bit pricy in my opinion, but you do get a very good service. We tried the Fishing and Elephant trek..both were very well organized !

The best features of this place are the staff. I have never come across such lovely staff who genuinely seem to want to make your stay a memorable one. !

I will definitely recommend this to anyone and will definitely be back one day !

Room Tip: Book the Suite ! You will not regret it !
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank speedyLK
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was our second experience at the Sarojin having stayed there three years ago when we celebrated our 40th Wedding anniversary. If anything it was better the second time around. We were lucky enough to stay in a pool residence this time after staying in a suite on the last visit. Although the pool residence was smaller than the suite it was more than adequate with the shower/bath room was brilliant. Being able to laze around our own private pool was a luxury we had not experienced before but we will definitely do again. The cocktail party was a nice touch, giving us the opportunity to meet other guests and staff in a relaxed setting.

The gardens and facilities were stunning. Breakfast was great, the seafood BBQ and dinner at the Ficus restaurant were outstanding. I highly recommend the Lobster Lasagne!

I could not recommend this hotel highly enough. The rooms and facilities are wonderful but what sets the Sarojin apart from any hotel we have stayed at is its people. You are made to feel welcome from the moment you arrive to the time you leave. Everyone, from the reception staff to the guest services people and even the gardeners greet you with a smile and a cheery sawat dee ka/krahp.

Just the way we were waved off when we were leaving left a lasting memory. We were sad to leave and have already sworn that we will return, next time it will be for longer.

I have nothing but praise for the Sarojin, we had no negative experience. It is truly Heaven on Earth.

Room Tip: The suites are enormous but the pool residence are very special.
2  Thank Geoff P
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It's our last day and we don't want to leave the Sarojin! Our tour guide from our Phang Nga bay adventure (who is a hotel employee) just left our room after going out of his way to buy us both some special Thai coffee. This was after a conversation we had with him about Thai coffee that we got at a market 12 months ago, and after he asked the restaurant to try and make it for us.
So using his own money, on his own time, he went and bought us this coffee!
I think this explains the Sarojin, the staff are just incredible.
The hotel has 56 rooms and apparently they don't book in any more than 100 guests at a time. There are 7 blocks of rooms all located around the main lagoon and pool. Each block has 2 suites (both upstairs), 2 pool residences (one at each end of the block) and 6 garden residences (between the pool rooms). All the suites are upstairs and all the other rooms are ground level.
We had a pool residence and it was amazing to have our own private pool literally 3 steps from our room. The suites don't have pools, just a big bath on the verandah.
There are so many things to mention about this resort:
- Breakfast is a la carte, but there's really no limit on how much you can have. We ate late each day and didnt event bother with lunch some days.
- The presentation of the food at 'The Edge' is amazing, and easily the best quality Thai food we had on this trip.
- Our room had a massive rainfall shower head and what seemed like a never ending supply of hot water.
- There's a bus that can take you into Khoa Lak and back which we did a number of times and it costs 100 baht per person each way.
- They have mountain bikes you can use to go for a ride around the area... Most of the roads are flat but the ride to the waterfall had a few hills.Upon return again you are offered a cold towel to cool down
- Every where you turn there is another bottle of water or a cold towel to refresh yourself.
The other reviews were right that the food here is expensive, but only expensive by Thai standards not by home standards. However about 150 meters north up the beach is little village of massage places and restaurants which we ate at a few times. The food is cheap and basic at these places but a nice alternative.
I would recommend booking your excursions through the Sarojin. Yes you can probably get it cheaper but it just doesn't compare and the Sarojin staff actually host the tours themselves. We did a day trip to James Bond Island, Sea Canoe Caves and the gypsy village on the water and it was something special. They only take 2 guests at a time, you get your own long tail boat, you get a VIP tour of the caves, you get a personal guide around James Bond island to take photos and tell you about everything and you get an amazing lunch away from the crowds. King (our guide for the day) was excellent! Spoke good English, was really attentive and let us decide on the pace of the day. Plus he offered cold drinks all day and was willing to answer every question. Seeing the other tourists on crowded boats and being pushed along made us realise what we were really paying for.
We spent a day at the spa at the hotel and had a package with facials and massages and scrubs and wraps and lunch. It was excellent and relaxing and the treatment rooms are built right in the natural forest.
All in all it was an amazing experience and has set the bar for us in terms of luxury accommodation. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Pool residence is a must.
4  Thank Jaymcc
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We had the most wonderful time at the Sarojin, the website set the scene for us, and we weren’t let down upon our arrival.

We had lovely welcome from the reception staff upon arrival and the evening we arrived we attended the beach cocktail and lobster party on the beach, we could not have had a better welcome to the Sarojin!

Our room (pool Residence)was very pleasant and the pool area was lovely, however I had hoped the residence to be more private as we had a path outside our door that the cleaners and gardeners used us and the hedges weren’t dense enough so we were able to see them clearly every time and them us.

Dining: The food and service was faultless, we had poolside dining, edge beach dining and Ficus.

Included in our package was the Degustation meal at the Ficus, I could see the effort and preparation put into the meal and wine selections however personally the experience didn’t really do it for me, I think I would have liked a more traditional Thai meal cooked perhaps in front of us with a bit of interaction with the chef and picking up a few tips from our chef, this would have made it interesting, different and fun.

At the degustation meal, One little thing I wasn’t crazy on was that weeach recieved a glass of wine with the main course (we both preferred this than the rest of the tastings) and asked could we substitute another glass of that to enjoy with our dessert rather than dessert wine and although it wasn’t a problem we were charged extra for that, which I felt was unnecessary.

I really don’t mind paying for good wines , however I felt the bar drinks and cocktails were expensive, I think I would have been inclined to purchase more frequently if they had been a little less, especially when we were getting true Thai prices in the local bars, this went for many of the guests whom we met in the local towns. I feel the Sarojin could benefit from lowering the drink prices so that more guests stay on sight and avail of them!

Spa: Congratulations on the Spa’s recent accolade, we availed of 3 treatments all of which were wonderful, relaxing and satisfying.

All the staff were extremely courteous, helpful and charming as well as professional and friendly.

We really enjoyed our time there and were very happy with our choice of honeymoon resort, it’s a beautiful and special resort and deserves credit for all the continuing effort that all the staff put into it.
I recommend it.