Overall we had a pleasant stay at the hotel with problems though.
The first problem, and it was huge, was the transfer to the hotel from the airport an hour or so away. During the journey the children were scared and the adults terrified! The driving was so dangerous; far too fast on winding roads, tailgating and overtaking on blind bends. One adult and two children vomiting into plastic bags. After a long-haul flight from the UK, the last thing we needed was a driver from hell showing off! The hotel needs to hire reliable drivers.
At the hotel, the beach and pool area were great with the beach quiet and picturesque, and the pool enjoyable for the kids. The problem was there was nothing else for the kids to do apart from an old ping-pong table and pool table. There needs to be more entertainment for children in a family hotel.
The rooms were good and the maids were friendly and cleaned everyday.
The breakfast was good for a few days then got boring, the same stuff everyday with no variety. Come on, in Thailand there is so many different types of fruit a little change would have been nice.
The restaurant and bar was a bit of a joke to be perfectly honest. The prices were way too high compared to in town which was why most guests took the bus into town every night for dinner! The restaurant was lovely and peaceful for an occasional evening meal but was too quiet for children every night.
The staff were under trained: they ignored orders and brought the wrong dishes. The main problem was the refusal to change the wrong dishes which annoyed and frustrated us. If it was an isolated case, we would have let it go but it happened on the three different occasions we went to the restaurant. Last point about the restaurant, what's with the food being made on the other side of the hotel and then being carried uncovered, in the rain sometimes, to the restaurant? Delicious food but cold!
There needs to be a dedicated bar so people can relax and finish the night off with a drink. The bar was a working area for the staff in the restaurant. We felt in the way just sitting there and so sat at a restaurant table instead.
The whole bar and restaurant needs a re-think. The hotel needs to come up with a plan with reasonable prices to attract the guests in the evenings or everyone is off to town nearly every day and night for a meal which makes the hotel a ghost town in the evenings.
Overall relaxing with some good points but definitely not a four star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 3+ Star resort is located on the long Khuk Khak Beach in Khao Lak, run by the local family from Takuapa. We are 10 mins by shuttle bus to Khao Lak Center. The shuttle bus run every hour in the evening (2 times a day free of charge, other time costs 50 Baht/Person/Way) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Khaolak Orchid Beach Hotel Khao Lak
- Hotel Khaolak Orchid Beach