“Best place in Khao Lak”

Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Khao Lak
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Firstly I want to apologise that I haven't written a review earlier as this is our 3rd stay at this beautiful resort and fifth time in Khao Lak. Overall this review will reflect what we have experienced on all our 3 visits to the hotel, the first visit December 2009, next Jan/Feb 2011 and now Dec/Jan 2013/14. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids aged 6,4 and 2.

The hotel is located about 10min out of Khao Lak and has a superb location on the best beach in the area. It's surrounded by a well maintained beautiful garden with a main pool with pool bar and including a small kids pool and there is an adult only pool which is a good spot for an amazing sunset views. In the garden there is also a Thai massage area where you get excellent massages from some amazing ladies for a small amount of money. I had one every other day and my two favourites were the Aloe Vera Massage and the Foot Massage. Even my 4 and 7 year olds enjoyed having a massage as well as getting beads in their hair. The hotel also has a Spa within the hotel main complex which I also recommend. I personally preferred the outdoor garden one. Staff at the hotel are very friendly and accommodating and always there to help. Some have limited English language, which I see some others have complained about in their reviews. But for us this was not a big issue or a problem.

The last 2 times we stayed in the Orchid deluxe room on the ground floor in the Orchid wing. The room was of a good size considering we needed five beds for 2 adults and 3 kids. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom had a good size bath and separate shower with good pressure (you don't find that everywhere). Minibar with cold beer and soft drinks was very reasonably priced, almost the price you would pay at the local supermarket in Khao Lak. The only thing I would have liked was some kind of drawers so we could have unpacked some of our clothes out of our suitcases. Didn't use the laundry services this time but used it before and all nicely washed and ironed with same day delivery if sent off early.

The beach is excellent and not very busy as there are only a few hotels on this stretch of beach. There are no water-sport activities or annoying touts on the beach to disturb you. If memory serves me right I think the beach is listed as protected so all these activities are illegal. If you walk down the beach to the left when facing the water you will find a couple of beach restaurants (15-20 min walk depending on your pace) with excellent food. Had some of the best fish I have ever tasted in Thailand, try the Barracuda fillet at the Sunset Bar. They also have excellent barbecued fresh prawns.

The hotel has two restaurant areas. The first is in the main hotel building and primarily used for breakfast and some times for dinner. The hotel breakfast is good and has all the essential from beautiful fresh fruit (Mango, Pineapple, Watermelon, Papaya...), eggs made to order, thai dishes, cheeses, cold-cuts and a good selection of bread. The only thing I really miss is good coffee but saying that I have hardly ever come across great coffee in Thailand. The other restaurant Verve 29 is close by the beach and used for lunch and dinner. Food here is a mix of Thai and International. The thai food is really good and reasonably priced. For lunch I would recommend the Thai spicy seafood or prawn salad as well as the fish or shrimp cakes. Also some of the international dishes are very nice. I highly recommend the sea-bass fillet.

We also had the pleasure of participating in the New Years Eve party at the resort and what a fantastic night! It was all setup at the beach with excellent Thai and international dishes, a lot of beautiful grilled seafood and meats. Good shows on the stage, the kids loved it. Everyone got floating lanterns which looked amazing when they all got sent up. Fireworks was one of the best ones I have ever seen. One thing that was a bit concerning was all the handheld fireworks which were quite dangerous.

To go into the town you can easily get a taxi from the hotel with Mr Nop. It costs 50baht each way and runs every hour in the evening. You can also personally arrange for him to take you anywhere in the Khao Lak area, for instance to White Sand Beach about 7km away- which is well worth the trip. Khao Lak is a great small town full of families pushing strollers. All the restaurants have baby high chairs and are very accommodating with strollers. It has a safe feel to it which we love as we have always been there with young children. The market, located half way between Khao Lak and the hotel, is great and also well worth a visit!

When I compare the Orchid with the Ramada Khao Lak Resort (ranked nr 4 in Khao Lak) where we stayed in January 2012 I would give the Orchid a higher rating even though this is only a 3*star rated resort and Ramada being a 5*star. At the Orchid the rooms and food are better and much cheaper, and the beach is nicer. Although you may get better service at the Ramada (ie. someone to pick up your towel if you drop it!), the Orchid has a much more relaxed and laid back atmosphere. It's great value for money especially when you book directly with the hotel and get the package including New Years Eve party and some free dinners as well as free airport transfer and 20% of purchases from the restaurants and the pool bar.

If there is one thing I think is missing at the resort it's some sort of activities for kids. There were a lot of younger children staying at the resort at the same time as us so maybe an indoor playroom and an outdoor playground would be good.

We absolutely love the Orchid and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: As beds tend to be a bit hard you should request a top mattress for your bed. Seems to be general pr...
6  Thank Jason9900

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We spoiled ourselves with theraputic massages every day in the resort garden, before or after swimming and sunbathing on the long beach or by the children or adult pools. The rooms are spacy and clean with new towels and cold drinking water every day. The bedt are huge and the furniture modern, yet with nice local touch. They fix transport and tours. Dinner, lunch and breakfast where delicious, especially when we celebrated Christmas, 50 years marriage and the New Year, at the restaurant or at beach parties. We were 14 people and the straff served us very well for 11 days. Kap khun kap!

1  Thank quatrofamilia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

After an extremely stressful year for my husband, me, and our high school age son, we really needed a total break, and planned this Khao Lak vacation in order to do absolutely nothing. Our stay at the Orchid was just what we needed.

The beach was perfect - the water was warm and you could just stroll in. Sometimes it was flat, sometimes wavy (there were people boogi-boarding). Notably NO things like jetskis or other stuff like that. Some people might miss that sort of thing, but we were SO grateful. It was a nice quiet place, nothing but the sea breeze and waves to make noise, and the beach just went on forever. There always seemed to be a recliner/chair when we needed it. The place was fully booked but didn't feel crowded at all.

Everyone was super nice, wonderful, even the guests! I think everyone was looking for the same thing we were - peace and quiet and relaxation. It is a family resort, but there were mostly couples (from northern Europe). Many of the families had teens like us. The handful of families with tiny little kids were well-behaved, really fun to watch at the pool (hilarious in fact), and not pesky at all - there is an adults only pool but we never even bothered going there cos the main pool was perfect. The great thing was, our 15-year-old son - we were worried he would be bored after a while, but he had the time of his life - at the beach, at the pool, touring with us, and he MADE FRIENDS with 4 other kids around the same age - so they ended up hanging out together. I saw other sets of kids making friends with each other. It was a real "family" resort in this sense.

Because our son was out of our hair most of the time, my husband and I were able to have a romantic vacation after all, and it's been a much-needed recharge for a couple of tired middle-aged worker bees.

I've stayed in resorts all over Asia, Europe, and the US (incl. Hawaii), and I've never experienced a resort with just the right balance that appeals to our sensibilities. There's nothing particularly Thai about it, but perhaps this level of mellow, laid back yet at the same time "deluxe" and extremely clean atmosphere can only be achieved by a Thai crew with a Thai aesthetic. It's a quietly elegant place that on the surface seems really just a simple affair, but you get to appreciate the level of care and beauty when you get up close and personal - in terms of the room, the grounds, the food, the service, the food, oh did I forget the food? The food was great.

So - the food. It's not cheap, but not overpriced either, and it was consistently good. Of course if you compare to what you'd pay in Khao Lak town or Takua Pa or elsewhere local for the same exact thing, it costs up to 2x as much in the resort. However, the quality of the food in the resort is also up to 2x better, tastier, everything. We did comparisons all week and towards the end we stopped eating "outside" altogether to avoid disappointment. In the end, there was the food bill, but really it was totally reasonable. The only thing missing was they didn't have Thai breakfast - but the buffet breakfast that comes with the room is GREAT, and they have the best french toast we've ever had. We were pleasantly surprised by the flavourfulness of the coffee - truly good coffee, probably the best brewed coffee I've ever had in Asia.

We had planned to stay 5 days, 4 nights. But I fell ill (bad cold) for a couple days and felt rather cheated out of my vacation. So we voted as a family to extend our stay and luckily the staff were able to accommodate us and we didn't even have to move rooms. We ended up 7 days, and still felt unable to bear leaving. The staff seemed genuinely sad to see us go - I think they do get a bit attached to the guests after seeing them all day for a week (since people apparently tend to stay long). We posed for pictures with them as we were waiting for our airport transfer. Next time we plan to stay 2 whole weeks instead of 1, and really explore the area.

On the language issue - not a big deal at all. The staff speak just enough English to deal with the technicalities of your stay. Even the cleaning lady and guy. But there's also a German translator on site (there were a couple locally-based German nationals offering tourist services). They (the Thai staff) understand more than they speak, so don't think you can talk about them behind their back haha. That said, I found their level of fluency a blessing in that it prevented them from being too chatty with you (I've had the experience of hotel staff in other places, like the Philippines, start to get overly chummy and then have the service mysteriously decline the chummier they get). They were also quite nice, sweet, friendly (and very Thai in this sense) but not to the level of being smarmy. It was superficial of course - it's their job, but they seemed to take the quality of their service seriously and personally, and they never lapsed in their professionalism. I never observed anyone (even the gardeners) looking bored on the job and acting like they wanted to be elsewhere instead of resentfully serving overprivileged tourists. This is perhaps the thing I most appreciate (comparing to other places/countries I've stayed). The service is not like this in Phuket itself - it might be a distinctly Khao Lak thing.

When we were leaving, we had to check out at noon but our flight out was not til the night, so they held our luggage while we enjoyed the resort til our flight transfer left at 6 pm, and right before we left they let us use their concierge room so we could shower and get dressed. We were willing to just use the lobby restrooms and maybe just rinse off at the pool shower. But the head receptionist would have none of it. She looked at us like she was insulted that we would think they'd stand for letting their beloved guests rough it.

All in all, I can't say enough good things about this place. It's our new favourite place in the world. My son was so taken with it that he declared this is where he will propose to his girlfriend - of course he is only 15 and doesn't even have a real girlfriend yet, but he believes that when he does, this is where he will take her to pop the question. It's not a "fancy" upscale resort (only 3-star, I think), but if it can inspire this kind of romanticism from a cynical 15 year old boy, you get a sense of what kind of place it is.

Room Tip: Note that all the beds seem to be hard - really hard. It might take a bit of getting used to (but my...
4  Thank Moe2010
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel is great:
- located close to the beach,
- well maintained and quite new
- not too large so that you feel cosy
- has a great service
- serves great and multichoice breakfast
- has a private beach, isolated from others by its natural location
- has a c.a. 15 meter sporty swimming pool in addition to leasure pools
- rooms are large and have a great Thai design

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed here prior to Christmas in one of the larger 2 Bedroom Family Rooms, which is an excellent choice for those with Children, Mosquitoes however are in abundance o make ure you have plenty o Tropical grade repellant.
The hotel has two pools, a larger one for everyone (that has a swim up bar) and a smaller one close to the beach for adults only, thus everyone is catered for.
The hotel has a private beach, however stingers can be a problem from December onwards as I understand.
The Verve29 restaurant has a lovely view over the beach and the food Is very good and reasonably priced.
The Fitness centre has 2 Treadmills, a bike and a multi-weight machine, however I suspect they are rarely used and the weight machine was nearly seized in place.
The breakfast buffet is standard hotel fare
The staff are very attentive and could not be faulted.
The Hotel itself is around 15 mins from Khao Lak centre via car.
All in all a good Family Hotel, however Khao Lak itself is a fairly quite town favoured by German Retirees, thus if you fall outside the demographic it may not be for you.

Room Tip: 2 Bedroom family rooms are a great choice and have separate balconies coming off each room.
1  Thank Raddisch
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in December .And we would love to come back again! Our kids age 4 & 6 loved the pool. We walked down to the beach and for our oldest the sea was great but for the youngest too big waves. Service at the hotel was fantastic and very helpful. Clean rooms and new pool towels every day:) "The Verve" the restaurant at the hotel served good food and good entertainment. Happy staff and v good service:) Easy to take shuttle in to Khao Lak with kids and cheap! We would like to recommend to stop at the local restaurant just next to where the taxi/shuttle stop in Khao Lak- they served a superb noodle soup!!! For à family of four you pay half the price. We bought plain soup with just noodles for the kids and they ate it all! So we would happily recommend you to book your stay at KhaoLak Orchid Resort. We had the family room next to pool- best room ever.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We are in our mid fifties and just married, booked a package direct with the hotel staying 11/11/13 to 21/11/13 we couldn,t have chose better. our airport transfer was waiting for us even though it was past midnight when we arrived in a a/c vehicle, all emails were answered promptly ,the package included discount on drinks which were cheap anyway for this standard of hotel and 3 meals which were top notch.
Swimming pools were clean and lovely with an adult only pool also,you also had a private beach , never once did we have any trouble getting a sun bed by the pool or on the beach whatever the time of day. Our room was a classic room on the top floor and was spacious with a view of the pool and beach and good a/c.
The staff were very friendly especially Noor who works at breakfast and in the Verve bar ,the town which is 10mins away might look a little rough round the edges but you never once felt threatened whilst walking about I would also recommend the moped hire at the hotel for £6 a day just hop on and explore, we found a waterfall, a lovely temple and an elephant attraction all in 3 hrs great fun.
To sum up quiet very relaxing , take the package for excellent value , food great can,t wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple