Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort
Khao Lak Palm Beach Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$37
  • Pool
The Briza Beach Resort Khaolak(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$48
$39
$51
$38
  • Pool
Khaolak Oriental Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$38
$28
Agoda.com
MANATHAI Khao Lak(Khao Lak)
$64
$54
Agoda.com
Palm Galleria Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$137
$31
Ocean Breeze Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$35
$33
$332
$278
$47
$48
$36
Agoda.com
All reviewsorchid wingvanda spathe vervehotel restaurantfamily suitepool barshuttle busadult poolshuttle servicethe hotel websitemassage areapackage dealfamily poolour room was spaciousmain poolthai massagethird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We (2 adults and a 5 y.o) spent one week at the Orchid's and had a very enjoyable stay.

Booking: directly with the hotel. We took the package as advertised on their website. My emails were promptly answered. I asked if we could leave our luggage for a few days with the hotel while we were going to Khao Sok. Although we would not return to the hotel, they agreed. Great first impression.

Transfer from the airport: it was included in the package. The driver was waiting for us and promptly took us to an mini van with AC. It took 1h30 min from Phuket airport.
We are now being picked up from a different hotel (impressive).

Check in: smooth and efficient

Room: we had a ground floor Deluxe room in the Orchid wing, close to the adult pool. The room was large with a large double and large single bed. The mattress was rock hard hard and the pillow so high they could have passed for a mattress. Upon request, we got a top mattress and different pillows. Not the best beds we've slept in, but mattresses are often very firm in Thailand.
There was a TV with some foreign channels and a DVD player (only playing DVDs from the Asian zone though).

The bathroom was pretty, large, and had a tub and a separate shower.

The room was well stocked up with bathrobes, slippers, umbrellas, safe, mini bar (at reasonable prices). The odour was however quite awful: it smelt of damp in the room and of sewage in the bathroom. I asked for incense a few nights in a row which helped a bit but didn't solve the problem. Maybe the rooms higher up are better?

Food: we had several lunches and dinners at Verve 29. The food is very good, the atmosphere romantic and staff incredibly nice. Our daughter enjoyed the kid's menu which has 5-6 different options. It came with drawings, always a popular activity with girls that age...I can only recommend the fish and chips - probably the best fish I've ever tasted in a kid's menu. There is live music every night - a man with a guitar. Not intrusive. No mosquitoes thanks to the spirals being burnt next to the tables. Prices are very reasonable, on par with what you'll find in town. The meals included in the package were of good quality. The BBQ consisted of fish and sea food - a huge portion, with some of the biggest tiger prawns you will ever find!
We had cocktails only once (mojitos - which tasted of Lemonade. Our daughter could have had one without any risk of getting tipsy...)..
Breakfast was all right. There is quite a selection but not very exciting in my view (I am picky though) with the exception of the fresh fruit (always good) and the dishes of the day (banana samosa, fish, noodles etc). You can get nice omelettes though. Staff was as usual very friendly and helpful.

Swimming pool: quiet, enough deck chairs, perfect temperature. The kids pool is big and the three hippos/fountains are cute. The pool could use a bit of clean up, a lot of sand and little rocks by the bar.

Grounds: beautiful. Mango and Frangipani trees, lights in the trees. Very well maintained and clean.

Massages by the pool: fantastic! Skilled and friendly masseurs - don't miss out on an hour of perfect relaxation to the sound of waves.

Beach: clean, very quiet. Enough deck chairs. Nothing around (except for another hotel, the Blue Lagoon to the right) - ideal for long strolls.

Guests: mostly Germans when we arrived. A few Scandinavians, Brits, Aussies and Canadians when we left. People were pleasant and those with kids (a minority) talked in the pool or in the shuttle bus.

Location: 15 min from Khao Lak centre, a bit less from Bang Niang where there is a market 3 times a week. Lots of restaurants to choose from (we went to Hill Tribes twice, excellent, to Enzo, good, to Premrudi, very good etc). You'll mostly find souvenir shops, opticians, mini supermarkets, pharmacies and bars. The hotel runs a free shuttle twice a day. A taxi from town costs 300Bhat. You will have to get it from Bang Niang (by the 7/11) or Khao Lak Centre (by the KT optician).

Overall: great value for money. For a 3 star hotel it's excellent and I don't think you can get a better deal. It's perfect for those who want a quiet, peaceful and relaxing holiday. We will remember the lovely staff, especially at Verve's who took such good care of us.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ellay17
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is about 15 mins drive away from the Main Street. (Which has few bars and few decent restaurants) Monkey Bar is worth a visit.
Hotel is a Perfect location for a break to relax by the pool.
The hotel is located on the beach and only the hotel guests are usually on the beach.
There are free water sport equipment that can be used. Canoes and water boards etc.

Staff are friendly especially at the pool bar.

After a few nights we where given a free upgrade by the manager, that included a jacuzzi on a large balcony. This room is great. Facing the sea and 2nd pool. 2 large plasmas and surround sound system.

Since I've been here the hotel has been refurbished which is strange as it seemed great the way it was.

Only thing I didn't like was the breakfast area which was very open and attracted small birds which sat on the buffet/serving area eating.
But the hotel is in their area so it's a small price to pay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephenbrow0
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Well we had the best time at this resort. How I found this resort was after I watched the movie The Impossible, I put in google, where is the resort in the movie and I booked it that day.

Mr Jirasak was great and organised a transfer from Patong to Khao Lak for us, it was around a 2 hour drive but the shuttle was very clean, new and comfortable. We had a welcome drink on arrival which was really refreshing, I was amazed at how quiet this place was and I think it is all thanks to the location of the resort. It is probably a 10 minute drive out from Khao Lak Centre but there is a shuttle for 50 Baht everyday and some times are free of charge as well.

The staff are very good, I could understand them very well. I knew some basic Thai so I could talk to the staff in their language for certain things of which they loved and you get that extra mile from the staff because you have made the effort to learn some of the language.

The pool is amazing, so refreshing and it is massive. There is also the adult pool as well but we never used that. We just based ourselves around the main pool as there is a swim up bar there. Cocktails are reasonable as well however if you want cheaper cocktails and food then I suggest walking on the beach to the left of the resort. We got a 20% discount card for the Vanda Spa, Verve 29 restaurant and also the swim up bar. The food at Verve was good, was not amazing but it has a very comfortable location and the ambiance is really nice. The breakfast is really good and the man who makes the omelets is really nice and makes the yummiest omelets.

The rooms are massive, we stayed in an Orchid Deluxe Room which is on the new wing of the resort which is about 5 years old. We could not get over how big the rooms were. The room has a bath tub separated from the shower so that gives some indication as to how big the rooms are. The only downfall was the comfort of the beds, they were very very hard mattresses but we made our own adjustments to make it more comfortable.

I was very emotional and overwhelmed with the stories of some of the older staff who were working either at the resort or at a different resort when the 2004 Tsunami struck Khao Lak. The memorials on random trees on the beach got me every time.

The quietness of this place is really good. It is quiet and calm, the beach is pristine and golden sand with the sounds of birds and wind chimes. We used to the massage huts on the front lawn which was really nice. All you could hear during the massage was birds chirping, wind chimes and the slight sound of waves.

I will go back to Khao Lak in a heart beat and will definitely stay at the Khao Lak Orchid Beach Resort again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Hayden T
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 5 nights in November 2012 (sorry for the delayed review!) The management created a package deal for us, which included return transfers, 2 x 2 set meals and discount in the bar/spa. Our transport met us at Phuket airport and it took just over 1 hour to reach the resort. Welcome drink on arrival and then taken to our room. We had a premier room with sea view and it blew us away! The room was huge and so was the balcony! We overlooked the gardens/pools and could also view the sea. Mini bar/hairdryer/toiletries/air con/beach towels/fruit basket all provided and a reasonable laundry service which I used once.

We ate in the hotel restaurant (sea front) a few times and the food was good. On two of the nights there was live acoustic music, a guy on the guitar, which created a nice atmosphere and was not too intrusive.

Breakfast was good too, they kept all the food covered up, to keep the flies away. Help yourself buffet and the staff cooked fresh eggs to order. The adult only pool was quiet and relaxing and no problems getting sun beds. We had a bit of rain but we still managed to get the hotel bus in/out of town (it’s probably too far to walk so the bus is ideal) There was not much to the town itself, but enough to kill an hour wandering up the main street and plenty of restaurants to choose from.

They offer day trips in reception. We went on the James Bond Island Tour...this was rather disappointing. The longtail boat broke down and we had to be towed to the sea gypsy island. So our day was then rearranged while they fixed the boat. When we got to the James Bond Island it was very crowded and spoilt by us tourists! Our guide was lovely and seemed keen to answer any questions. On the drive back, we stopped at a temple where monkeys were running around and taking food from tourists. All in all, we would not recommend this trip down to the commercialised nature of the activities and the lack of spectacular scenery.

However we then booked on the island trip to Koh Tachai. This is REALLY worth doing. If you Google Koh Tachai, the images that come up are exactly like they are in real life. The best thing is that it’s relatively new to the tourism scene and so instead of the hundreds of boats coming and going as at most of the other islands, there was only our boat and 3 or 4 others the whole day. Our guide was English, but the rest of the staff are Thai. The water was crystal clear and there is plenty of time for snorkelling (all equipment is provided) lunch was a buffet affair with brownies and chocolate sauce for dessert. Plenty of cold soft drinks are included in the price. The sand is white, and there is an optional guided tour around part of the island. There is also free time to spend on the beach. On the journey home we saw dolphins and they were swimming alongside our boat. A great way to end an amazing day. The staff were all very friendly and we would definitely recommend this trip!

I used the massage tents in the hotel gardens twice and found them to be very reasonably priced. The hotel staff took us back to the airport at the end of our stay.
We enjoyed our stay here very much. It was off the beaten track but not too isolated. I seem to recall we got stung a little bit by the charges for paying our final bill by credit card, so just double check before you pay as we did not realise this until the credit card bill came in the post!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Laura N
Reviewed July 31, 2013

- We (married couple) moved from Patong to Khao Lak as we had extended our stay for two days more, spending the last one at Khao Lak. This was our first visit to Thailand and reading so many good reviews about Khao Lak, we didn't want to be regretting later on so we decided to at least be there for one night only. After a lot of searching for a good balance between money and positive reviews we chose Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort and we are still happy for our choice.

- It is RELAXING! It is RELAXING! It is RELAXING! If you are looking for city life then this is not the place. You can join several trips from here though and mixing it with the relaxation on offer seems a superb option.

- Cheap but out-of-this-world Massages right in the garden! I was sleepless the whole night before reaching here. We checked out early from Patong around 8 am. We had a driver who was going to take as to few tourist places in Khao Lak and then to reach Orchid Beach Resort around the afternoon. It worked nicely. On our way, we visited a turtle farm, Tsaunami Speed Boat Meuseum, a couple of Water-falls, a beach with white sand (Can't recall the name but quite near to Orchid Beach Resort). Coming back to massages, I took two massages; Foot Massage and Body Massage. During the massage, I felt a wonderful feeling. The birds sound, with the garden greenry, the swimming pool splashes plus the sound of the ocean waves which was hardly 200 meters from where we were. It was 2 hours massage and I was sleeping almost the whole time. Wasn't able to experience any massage in Patong near to this. One of the major factor when I will go back to Orchid will be these massages.

- Halal /Muslim Food. We had a tough time here. There were 2/3 restuarants. We tried only one, very hard to know what we could eat and the options were pretty slim. The breakfast was wonderful though. Plenty on offer. Therewas a chef as well cooking the eggs right there according to our preferences.

- Free and fast Wifi in the room.

- As it was a single night stay and our focus was on relaxing only, we were not able to try the shuttle service. However it seems as a nice option and we will try it next time for sure.

- If I am not wrong, we opted for a deluxe room. Huge modern room with a big bathroom. It was not having any ocean views. On the ground floor, opening right in the garden and can see swimming pool area as well.

- Staff was very helpful and we got that sad feeling while leaving.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple