“Great, cheap Thai food”

Friendly Restaurant
Ranked #173 of 318 Restaurants in Khao Lak
Cuisines: Asian, European, Thai
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm not sure what drew us in first - the need for a quick cheap feed on our first night at Kantary Beach or the 100Bt cocktails but we weren't disappointed by either. Huge tiger prawns and Pad Thai were the standouts of three dishes and only because I can't remember what else we ordered that night (apart from cocktails). The kids (who are not massive chilli fans like us) embraced real Thai food avoiding anything western (why would anyone go to Thailand and want to eat spaghetti, soapy or not, is beyond me). We returned for lunch and dinner a few times in the week and can't recommend the place highly enough. The kids enjoyed the parade of hermit crabs and hammocks too whilst waiting for the food!

2  Thank Dogberry64

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You can't expect perfection from a little beach shack when you're paying next to nothing - and as in all of Thailand it can be hit and miss (sensational meal one day, average the next). But we loved this place. For one, it was open in rainy season when we visited in late May last year (all the other beach restaurants closed), and they gave us excellent service and food even when we were the only ones there. We visited again in dry season and were not disappointed, still friendly service and great cheap thai food. Of special mention was the fresh fish BBQ - amazing! You pick you fish and they cook it for you in the style/sauce of your choice. And I had an amazing green papaya salad, one of the best I've ever had in Thailand, I think it was only about 50 baht (less than $2 Australian). I think the curries, pad thai etc were a bit hit and miss - but then they were at all the beach restaurants. You can't be too fussy when paying so little.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The only friendly thing about this restaurant is the name. Food was below average and my sons spaghetti was the most disgusting I have ever tasted. Think plain spaghetti coated with soap and rancid butter... eeeewwwww. Just don't go there. There are other places along the beach.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We discovered Friendly last year in May, one of the very few restaurants on the beach open in the low season. The food was so good after the first night that we ate there virtually every night for 3 weeks! Fresh fish, chicken and vegetables were always fresh and cooked to perfection. Plam, Aon and Khun Sak always were welcoming and remembered all of our favourite dishes and drinks. Would highly recommend a visit here in both high and low season, great place to watch the sun go down with a few drinks and a lovely cooked meal. Will definitely be back there when we visit Khao Lak again in May 2013.
Maurs and Cookie

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Set on the beautiful Kantary Beach, Friendly Restaurant is a few hundred metres up the beach if you were to turn left out of the Kantary Beach Hotel. I spent a week at the hotel in early December 2012 and was lucky enough to find Friendly Restaurant on the second day – I ate here every evening afterwards so I could escape the hotel!

The restaurant is set just off the beach in amongst the palm trees, it has a few tables in the sand with a little roof over them and a few more tables under the roof of the main building; wonderful being able to eat in bare feet with tables in the sand.

The food menu was huge, with great Thai meals, other Asian items along with European stuff as well; but the selection of fresh fish as you would expect was fantastic. I had the biggest king prawns I had ever eaten in here – they should have been called ‘Emperor Prawns’ they were so large!

I ate 6 times in this restaurant and without exception every meal was first class and the choice was so large you would never get bored. Service was great and always lived up to the name ‘Friendly’! Value wise you can’t go wrong with the quality of the food and exceptional prices you could eat like royalty!

I had the best meals of this trip to Thailand in Friendly Restaurant and I can’t wait to go back soon.

1  Thank Stuart G