“Romantic adults only hotel”

Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort
Ranked #13 of 69 Hotels in Khao Lak
London, United Kingdom
“Romantic adults only hotel”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed at The Sensimar for 5 nights in January, it was fantastic. Really chilled and relaxing. The hotel is very modern, we had a beachfront bungalow which just took our breathe away. The room was huge and we had a large terrace where we could sit and watch the sun go down each evening. The town is only a 5 minute walk away with shops and restaurants. We went to the night market which had a party atmosphere, lots of bargains too. If you are staying in Khaolak a visit to White Sands is a must, the lads on the beach are very polite and helpful and the beach is beautiful. If you are looking for a romantic relaxing break The Sensimar is very good, yes there are a few niggles but it is a new hotel and we didn't let anything stop us having an amazing time. The staff are brilliant and soon sort out any issues with a smile. We will be back!!

3 Thank Sophie_244
Ciaran M, General Manager at Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Sophie_244,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

We very much appreciate your review and thank you very much for your staff compliments.

We hope that you will return to visit us at some point in the future.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a two week vacation in Khao Lak, so these experiences are pretty fresh.

Pros first:
- Good standard all over. The hotel is pretty new, and it shows! It's clean and we'll kept.
- 18 year age limit = no kids
- the sun bed policy! Towels left unattended on the beds before 0930 are removed, means you can sleep longer.
- exercise room is nice, clean and modern and has most of what you need.
- ala carte kitchen is really good. They make excellent Thai food.
- short walk to the town
- they have their oven taxies.

Cons:
- The music at the pool bar. I've seen other reviewers raised the same point, and the bartenders are completely out of touch with the mood of the guests. One minute it's Celine Dion, then Marilyn. Manson, then some Thai pop song, and to top it all of: Barbie Girl... The bartenders are there for the guest, their taste in music is irrelevant. Just play some no intrusive lounge/ ambient music, or no music at all, and everyone should be happy.
- the buffet food is pretty mediocre.
- the breakfast is mostly good, buy they don't offer real, fresh juice, only some substitute. Disappointing.
- the afternoon "dinner and show" events are somewhat expensive, and don't offer much value in terms of entertainment or food. Go to the Culinarium instead, it's better value.

We liked the hotel very much, but since it's so new they have some small issues to fix before we could give it a top score.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrubleNor
Dear GrubleNor,

Thank you very much for your review. Your thoughts, comments and suggestions are well noted.

In relation to the pool bar music - you are very right - bartenders personal choice is completely irrelevant, therefore we have stopped playing music at the pool bar except during happy hour. thank you for your suggestion.

Although we dont have a large array of fresh juices we do serve freshly made water melon juice each and every morning. But we will definitely look at adding more in the future.

We have three themed evenings each week - Sunset / Fishside, Thai Night and our Directors Gala Dinner or Mediterranean Night. These nights include all you can eat
buffet and either live music, fire show, Thai music or dancing. The cost for this s 680 THB (15 Euro / 12 pounds).

Once again i appreciate your comments and suggestions. They will certainly help us improve ourselves and grow and provide a better service to our guests.

Sandford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My stay was alright. I wouldn't stay there again though. When you book make sure you confirm the location of your room. Mine was at the peak where I had to climb 120 steps. I asked them to switch my room due to knee problems which was done the next day.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ciaran M, General Manager at Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear SandyCruz2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I see from your booking that you originally booked one of our brand new rooms - Grand Deluxe Rooms which are located on the Mountain Wing. I am happy to see my team were able to respond to your request for a lower lying room and moved you the next day.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Just back from staying at this hotel for two weeks, where we had a really good time.We have stayed in Thailand before and many other Asian countries!
The position of the hotel was really good as you could walk into the main area with lots of shops and restaurants, or pop over the road to the local restaurants which were really excellent. Our favourite was Everyday 2 really just because of the laid back atmosphere and the lovely waitresses. We never had a bad meal anywhere in the whole two weeks. Such amazing value. Khao Lak is a really interesting area surrounded by National Parks with so much to see and do.
We stayed in one of the base price rooms on the top floor overlooking the smaller quiet pools with a glimpse of the sea, which we emailed and requested and received. Thank you! The room was spacious, modern and the bed was super comfy! The bathroom was well appointed and the walk in shower was excellent with good pressure. It was serviced well each day. I agree about the step up into the bathroom, but felt it was probably there to stop water from the bathroom escaping into the bedroom area? Lighting in the bedroom area was poor.
Lots of activities available during the day put on by the lovely entertainment team. I did aqua aerobics every day if we were there and both of us did the wine tasting and the walk to the National Park and the secret beach which was tougher than I imagined but so worth doing.
Breakfast was very good. We had lunch most days at the main restaurant sitting on the deck overlooking the beach, which was very reasonable with a good selection of Thai and European food. Gorgeous fresh salads. The waitresses were very friendly and generally efficient. This did seem to improve as our holiday progressed. I certainly never saw any harassment. Only a bit of chivying along to keep up with what was going on in a busy restaurant. The staff all worked very hard. Dinner we usually ate out but we did eat at the a la carte restaurant twice which was extremely good value for the quality of the food and the ambiance. Just off the beach with the sound of the waves. Lovely. We also went to the Thai night where again the food was good quality and the entertainment was nice, but I just don't like buffets.
What could have made this perfect? Free wifi in the whole hotel, not just reception.Better lighting in the bedroom. It was an absolute pain to pack on our last evening. A few more sunbeds around the pools, although I can see getting that balance right is really difficult. I was put off sunbathing on the beach because the beds have no space between them at all. The hotel have tried hard to contain this by removing towels and belongings left before 9.30.This however generates a surge at breakfast just after 9.30 and means one of you has to get up increasingly early to bag a pair together. It's a shame the design of the buildings means the swim up rooms who have their own loungers don't ever really get any sun, so they end up with their own on their patios and then two in the sunny side of the pool (with a sunshade!) My personal pet hate given that this is an adults only hotel is the number of lilos used in the quiet pools. Oh well!
Should also say the grounds are beautiful and the gardeners work so hard in such high temperatures. A well run hotel. Don't be put off going!

Room Tip: High floor gives you a chance of a view but there are no lifts!
1 Thank 52yearoldskier
Dear 52yearoldskier,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Your thoughts, comments and suggestions are very important to us and will be certainly discussed at our weekly management meeting.

In relation to some of your points - which are very valid.

We have began the process of replacing all bulbs in the rooms with higher wattage bulbs so hopefully this will help solve that issue. We have also ordered additional standing lamps for each room.

I have ordered more sunbeds as I know this is certainly an issue at the resort. I think you are right in relation to the swim-up rooms - the sunbeds are totally wasted there and would be better served around the pools.

I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant, food and service. We have a good team and all work very well together.

Once again thank you for the review. We do hope you will return at some point to visit us again.

Ciaran McNell
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Putting this review in context, my wife and I holiday in Thailand every year and have done so, somtimes twice, for the past nine years. I have written several reviews before about hotels, all of which have been good to excellent. My views about this place are relative to the dozen or so other hotels we have stayed in. I picked this as we had not been to this area before and fancied a change. If I can save one person the comparative misery of this awful hotel then I will know that Tripadvisor is worth the effort.
Positives - the beach is very nice (wasted on this hotel) and there are a few good restaurants a few minutes walk away.
Negatives - in no particular order:
When you go to a resort hotel chances are you're going to want to spend a fair amount of time on a sunbed. EVERY other hotel in the area and anywhere I've been to previously, provides comfortable sunbeds with proper cushions and towels to cover them. Not here, there are no cushions and as the towel ration is strictly enforced to one per person you have the choice of covering either the top or bottom of your plastic weaved sunbed leaving the exposed part to melt in 80 degree plus heat. Result - uncomfortable days.
We paid extra for a "Deluxe beachfront bungalow". This is actually no more than a beach facing room, absolutely nothing deluxe about it. The furnishings are kitchen units, the toiletries a plunge bottle labelled "Soap and Shampoo", the bed a built in structure with corners so sharp I gashed my leg on it. Poorly laid out, for example the television mounted on the wall so that it could not be fully seen from the bed as it was obscured by the kitchen unit built to house the over large fridge. The bathroom floor was split level by about three inches, a seriously dangerous trip hazard. The hand towel rail was warped plastic, the kind you would buy in Poundland but they would be 2 for £1.
I could say more on this topic but this I hope, paints a clear enough picture of the facilities.
No free wifi other than in reception area, 100 yards plus from our room. Wifi is free everywhere other than here.
Airport transfer charge is 3 times the rate available either online or buy local taxi.
Management is at best poor at worst woeful. The restaurant manager seemed incapable of noticing his male junior spent every moment we saw him harassing the very young, untrained waitresses. Unprofessional and at times, embarrassing.
Now to the General Manager Ciaran. Out of his depth and incapable of dealing with unhappy guests. We stayed for 8 days, On day 4 I gashed my leg on the bed. This combined with the other faults drove me to reception to complain. When arriving at reception I saw Ciaran and let him know in no uncertain terms what I thought of his hotel. I had blood running down my leg. He asked for my room number. To this day I am still waiting for an offer of medical assistance from him, an enquiry as to how it happened and how can it be prevented from happening again, a follow up to ask if everything is now OK. He should be ashamed.
Enough now. To those of you who think this is a good hotel, please tell me you've never been to Thailand before. To those of you planning on going, if this is your first trip to Thailand, the Sensimar is absolutely not typical of what to expect from one of the best places on earth. Cancel and pick somewhere else. Everything has been done on the cheap and it shows.

6 Thank Tony C
Ciaran M, General Manager at Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Tony C,

Greetings from Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort.

You appear to have had the most tortuous experience during your stay at Sensimar Khaolak Beachfront Resort and for that I am truly sorry to hear.

Of the 110 reviews posted on TripAdvisor, 3 of them rank as poor or terrible & this is one of them.

It's 3 too many in my view and whilst there can never be room for complacency, this review is diametrically at odds to the vast majority of opinions expressed about Sensimar on TripAdvisor.

We'll get over our upset, and re-focus on the core values of warm hospitality, friendly and good service that has seen our business grow from strength to strength over the last 15 months.

Onward & upwards is our battle-cry in our mission to ensure our valued guests have a great experience and leave 100% satisfied.

Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed 9 days, It's a young & big resort, the only thing I liked was the beach, clear enough to snorkel.
Room - big & clean, with a balcony. BUT, the AC location is unthoughtful, when it's on at night, the bright light dot is very disturbing! I had to stick sth on it to be able to sleep.
Stairs/Steps - they're very poor at highlighting stairs/steps, I tripped and fell down twice, it also happened to our friends, EVEN to their own staff last night when he was helping us to open our room door.
Sun Chairs - We are surprised at the resort policy about sun chairs, but on the other hand, we understand their concerns. THEN, why not add more sun chairs, it looks the spare spaces could be managed.
Pool Bar - a cool and relaxing place to have drinks & enjoy Happy Hour from 4pm to 5pm. HOWEVER, I don't understand the music, seems people complained about lounge music or some other reasons, so the staffs only play some Western/Thail pop songs at such beautiful quiet area.
Food - Breakfast is fine; had twice Pad Thai for lunch, was delicious; had a BBQ dinner buffet, it was disaster... not only the price was expensive, but the BBQ seafood & deserts were not pleasant... That was the only dinner we then had at Sensimar.
WIFI - only free at lobby, chargeable in the rooms...
Service - Generally the staffs are friendly, greeting every time when you passing them by. BUT, I feel they should be given some English training (though most of them speak English, but kinda too little), and Service training (they do serve, but not proactive, especially during Breakfast, we sometimes went to pour our own coffee or tea and once they get busy, they can't distinguish what to do first is better).
Location - is not bad, has two or three restaurants within walking distance and a bar or so. Can also walk 15 mins to the town or grab a taxi to the local market.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZhiyiQ
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 8, 2014

After spending a couple nights at the Sands (just down the street) we were ready for a change of scenery. We had read that Sensimar was one of the newer resorts in town and that it wasn't too far away (we actually walked there from the Sands). We wanted to stay in the general area and try something new. Why stay in one place when resort hopping is so much fun!?? =)

The resort is new and oh so clean. I just felt extremely clean during my stay. Great showers, bathrooms and rooms. The beds are comfortable and so are the robes provided. I appreciated the attention to detail and warm welcome (one being a basket of fruit that greeted us when we walked in the room!)

We rented a movie from their movie libarary, enjoyed the small gym and enjoyed direct access to the beach. Expect front-row seats to the ocean while enjoying breakfast and the most attentive, joyful staff on hand.

It's true that wifi is only free in the lobby but there are a couple computers provided - plus its such a nice lobby!

Every interaction we had here was a positive one! I had a great time at Sensimar!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat W
Dear Kat W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.

We are all very happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have passed all your comments onto the staff.

We hope you will be back again to visit us.