“August 4/8/2014-14/8/2014” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Khao Lak
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
“August 4/8/2014-14/8/2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

My family and I stayed here on a 10 night package and we had a ball. Aged from 2.5 up to 60, we were all catered for. The staff are amazingly friendly, the resort was clean and tidy. If we wanted anything they bent over backwards to help. We all had delux pool rooms and could not fault them, I highly recommend this resort and will hopefully return there next time.

Room Tip: Get the delux pool access, high season is great for families to have these. ( little noise from late...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Melissa H
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Melissa H,

Warm Greeting from Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you very much for your comment and I do really glad that our overall service and facilities make you have a great time and enjoyable along with a good memory with us.

Thank you once again for choosing our Resort to be part of your holiday destination and we would be delighted to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay at our resort.

Yalyong Ongsanam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a hotel with a true Thai flavour complete with superb dining, delightful staff, amazing amenities and privacy, then this Hotel is for you. From arrival we were welcomed with the traditional Thai greeting which continued whenever we would pass any of the staff. Our room was immaculately made up each day. The spa is pampering and the gym is well equipped. Breakfast buffet has everything you could wish for. You must meet Chef who delights in serving you and keeping you happy. Themed buffet dinners every night or a short ride into town to dine as the hotel is close to the main strip (15 mins). Free wifi and transfers to town set this hotel well apart! We cannot recommend more highly and deeply thank the wonderful staff of Mai Khaolak who have made our stay spectacular!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rachelle D
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Rachelle D,

Warm Greeting from Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you very much for your time to share your comments which is based on your experience with us at Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to read that you have really great time with us and also enjoyed the service of my staff which I always noticed that they always be attentive to make sure our guests are ok.

We are looking forward to serve you for your next vacation and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Thank you Mai Khaolak Resort and Spa for a wonderful holiday.
CATER FOR FOOD ALLERGIES:
I am allergic to some common foods that are in thai dishes (tomato, chilli, wine, mango) and was a little scared at visiting Thailand. The resort has a very professional approach to handling food allergies and on arrival I was given a RED card with my food allergies to assist communication with staff. In addition, the staff knew about my food allergies when I first arrived at each restaurant and this was very reassuring that they were pre-warned of my requirements.
High commendation to the administration and staff of Mai Khaolak Resort for their exemplary service.
PLACE TO MEET NEW FRIENDS:
The swim up bar was a great place to meet other travellers and was manned by friendly staff.
INDULGENT SPA:
Our 8 day package for the resort included spa treatments and I cannot commend the spa staff enough for their friendly faultless service. I was pampered with indulgent Swedish massages, relaxing facials, mud wrap with thai massage, coffee body scrub, thai hot ball massage, and cellulite treatment. YEP... I loved all of them :)
VISIT VILLAGES: we hired scooters from reception (reasonable price) and enjoyed exploring the local villages, towns, markets, national parks, and beaches.

3 Thank adiren2014
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear adiren2014,

Greeting from Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

Thank you for your comment which was valuable for me and my team to maintain the standard of service to reinsure our guest have a memorable holiday.

If you have plan for your next holiday, hope me and my team at Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa will be one of your choice for your holiday destination.

Looking forward to serve you and wish you all the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We also stayed here on a 8 night deal, with a room on top floor looking down on the pool. We opted for the top floor rather than a swimout pool room as weren't keen on people swimming right past our room.
The staff were fantastic and very obliging. The day spa offered fantastic treatments and my husband and I had 4 hour sessions each in the 9 days. Cooking class was fun, as well as the cocktail class.
Shuttle buses go into the town (which is about 20 mins away), with the last one coming back at 4.00pm. So if you are wanting to have dinner in town you need to get 'taxi' back which was only 300 baht. It would be better to have more shuttle bus time options. The beach walking is also restricted a bit as there is an outlet where river runs into the sea, so have to have no shoes on to cross over further.
Room was great - although I think for families would be pretty squashy.
Shopping in the town was great - taylors, spectacles, and clothing all great.
Overall we had a great time - was lovely to have the break from cold Melbourne winter, but probably would be better staying closer to the town, and then have more choices with eating out, shopping, etc.

Room Tip: If you are a couple you could ask for a swimout room in the Adult area of the pool which was further...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
6 Thank Lyn K
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Lyn K,

Warm Greeting from Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

First of all, thank you very much for staying with us recently and thanks again to spending your time to give us the review.

It is great to read that you had a memorable holiday.

I am pleased that you found our resort to be relaxing and the service to be attentive.

Thanks once again for choosing Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa and we would be delighted to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay at our resort in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have just returned after an 8 night stay for our honeymoon from 7-15th of August, we found it near perfect. Location is little out of the way but was just what we were after and came because of this, being low season it was probably a little quieter than high season and was just what we were looking for.
It is a little over an hour from Phuket air port and about a 10 to 15 minute drive from the main town of Khao Lak. There a couple little towns between the main town and the resort that service locals and tourists for supplies. We were there to see the last of the beach front bars and restaurants out the beach front of the of the resort close down, we thought they were just closing cause for the low season but latter found out the government has closed them due to them being on public land but by the time we left there was one just back from the beach on the southern side of the resort open and there was something being built on the northern side so there is a break from the resort food if need be. Other than that within walking distance there is a supermarket and a couple of restaurants out on the main road, best reached by walking up the road from the beach at the southern end of the resort and after a walk of about 10 minutes on a concrete path/road up the tsunami evacuation route you will be there, good prices and friendly people too.
The resort is very nice, clean and well maintained with some very friendly staff that we found spoke good English and always willing to help in anyway they could. The resort is well equipped with everything like tour booking office, a little resort shop, tennis court, 2 pools (one with swim up bar), beach lounges, 3 different restaurants and even bikes that can be hired for 100 Baht per day. Bikes were great to visit local waterfalls that are about a 20 minute ride away for a nice change from the ocean or you could visit other local beaches or even ride in to the main town of Khao Lak (bit of a ride but is doable as I found).
We were lucky enough to have a pool villa room that was nearly right on the beach and was far enough away from the main resort to make it feel like we were the only ones there, room was fantastic with a large pool, spa, sun lounges, out door seating area and everything else that you could ever need, even a capsule coffee machine. The only let down was the bed, while it was large and we had read reviews saying the beds were firm we just put it down to people that had not travelled in Asia much as most beds we have had throughout Asia had been firm...not the case, this would have been the firmest bed I have ever experienced so bad I actually bought the sun lounge mattress in to sleep on and my wife slept on the pillows from the couch, the staff must have noticed and did put a topper on the bed but it was still very firm and I slept on top on the blankets for the remainder of the trip.
The spa was great and the staff were very caring, always asking if everything was ok, highly recommended.
Buffet breakfast was the best, crisp bacon, egg station, rice, noodles, freshly made juice, waffles just so much and most very good. There is also the restaurant near the beach, there food was ok, we had a buffet Italian dinner there one night and hamburger for lunch one day that I enjoyed. The meal restaurant is rather small and never seemed to be busy would have been my favourite though, only serves Thai food but they did a great job of it. Room service was nothing special and we only had it once.
All in all a great place with great staff in a perfect location. Won't suit everyone but for someone looking for a nice quite get away it is perfect and the local people around here are so friendly. And we fell in love with the place, just being able to relax and walk the beach without seeing anyone was great.

Room Tip: go the pool villa if the budgets allows
      Location
8 Thank DanielBris1982
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear DanielBris1982,

Warm Greeting from Mai Khao Lak Beach Resort & Spa.

It is great to read that you had a memorable holiday.

Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was not a family just 2 females travelling together, stayed 8 nights on a deal, room on the 3rd floor overlooking lovely pool area, with swimout rooms on pool level mainly occupied by families, they all had day beds as well, so really good for the children, there were the same rooms available in an adults only zone away from all the noise with lots of privacy, also had Villa's with private pools, plus another large pool for use by all. right on the beach great access.
This hotel is 2 years old, I found the staff very obliging with all requests granted with Thai hospitality, breakfast area very good, massage & spa area, Gym, Internet access, Shuttles, airport transfers, did a great cooking class,& cocktail making class, couple of dinners Thai & Seafood platter included Yum Yum,they had Thai lunches for 150 Baht, good value. Our room was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in, we arrived at 1.30 am after a very long flight & stopover a nightmare on Air Asia, The room had music playing , lights on, aironditioning on, very welcoming , bathrooms area, separate shower separate toilet , lounge area,with TV on wall,& bar, bedroom area with TV on wall, plus balcony, was a standard room very impressed. also supply 4 bottles of water per day This was my 29th resort in Thailand.... So not so good was that it is off season so can be lack of service I found it was only in the pool area , no towels or service at the pool bar, it was 11am one day which was very annoying, especially for families. I always travel off season, cheaper prices, less people so this is to be expected. Khao Lak is a lovely area, Good shopping & Cafe's.Next year I will be at Mai Resort at Samui..looking forward to checking it out....Happy travels....

Room Tip: 3rd floor was great !
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank JayJay00
Dear JayJay00,

Greeting from Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa.

We are pleased to thank you for choosing our resort for your value holiday. I do really appreciated to learnt that you have a great time during your stay with us

Regards your comments we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will improve the service.

Me and my team at Mai Khao Lak would be delighted to welcome and serve you again in the future.

Rosebud, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

If you are looking for complete relaxation this is the perfect place for you.
The resort is about an hour and a half drive from the airport so is quite isolated here.
The location is not really walking distance to anything except a stroll along the beach.
Lovely to be located on the beach so we could sit by the pool and enjoy the sea breeze. My husband enjoyed a massage on the beach while I had a manicure and pedicure.
There is another pool as well with swim up pool bar and plenty of pool-lounges.
There is not very much around the resort but only 20 minutes drive to main town and market and some very good eating places.
We hired a scooter for 300 Bart to go to the markets and found this suited us or there is
a shuttle bus to take you in but check the times it returns or you can find your way back to the resort.
If you are wanting a pool access room away from the kids request adult zone room
132 or 133.
The pool access rooms are clean and very comfortable with huge king bed and fold out sofa bed as well.
The wi fi internet connection here was very good.
We found the food at the resort very nice and not expensive to eat here and we enjoyed The Italian buffet though the option of eating places are limited here.
The breakfast is very good too with plenty of variety and you can get omelets and eggs cooked to order.
I have read previous reviews where people have said the breakfast was cold but it is a buffet
which is served until 11 am. This was not a problem for us we found the breakfast to be very enjoyable.
The reception staff are friendly and try to help with any requests and
the house maids were very polite and were very attentive to our needs also greeted us each day.
Yes there is a little bit of a language barrier with some of the staff but if one doesn't understand your request there will be another staff member there to help.
We did a package deal which included massages and we found the girls to be very professional so worth the while if you are wanting a bit of pampering.
If you are looking for entertainment, music and just sitting at bars with a party atmosphere this may not be the resort for you.
It is very peaceful, relaxing and the place to be if you want to completely unwind.
My husband and I have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and look forward to coming back

Sleep Quality
4 Thank Weeroona
Yalyong O, General Manager at Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Weeroona,

Warm Greeting from Mai Khaolak Beach Resort & Spa.

I feel really glad that almost our service and facilities are met your expectation.

We are looking forward to serve you for your next vacation.