“Back & Beyond”

Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Khao Lak
Geelong, Australia
“Back & Beyond”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We are about to leave Beyond Resort after a eight day stay.Before booking I read reviews and so we upgraded to a Premier Villa to be close to the pool and beach area.You don't always get what you pay.Our Premier Villa was almost at the back of the resort.In fact there where many standard villas much closer than our villa. I did enquire if we where in a Premier Villa and was told yes because we had a view of the inlet.That is not what we wanted.So don't expect because you book a Premier villa you will be close to the pool and beach area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool
1 Thank Russell1875
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Russell1875,

Many thanks for your mail. You are absolutely correct, there are many Premier Villas located further back with view's over the lagoon. If any future guest would like too see a hotel map before arrival and choose a preferred area , please do not hesitate to send me a short mail at robert@katagroup.com
I hope the rest of your holiday was fine.

Best regards from Khaolak

Robert Frei, GM & The BRKL Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I chose Beyond Resort Khaolak as the destination for our first overseas holiday together and it certainly didn't disappoint.

From the moment we arrived at the lobby we were blown away by the beauty of the resort and its magnificent setting. It was certainly love at first sight.

Everything about the place was exceptional. Our Palm Villa Premier was incredibly spacious and we slept like babies every night on the king size bed (with the air-con keeping the temperature perfect)

We indulged in the buffet breakfast every day and it was 5 star quality - every breakfast food imaginable and a special mention to the mini donuts filled with custard and assorted jams...10 times better than Krispy Kremes!!

The pool and beach area was nothing short of amazing. Plenty of sun lounges and umbrellas to go around (both poolside and on the sand) and there was always smiling faces at the swim-up pool bar or the beach bar/restaurant.

We found the staff and the service of the highest quality, all of the team members were more than willing to help and even though there was often a language barrier there was always a staff member nearby who could speak English. Special mention needs to go to Carsten, who organised an elephant trekking tour and Phi Phi Islands tour for us, he was more than helpful in sorting it out and greeted us with a smile when we arrived back at the resort to ensure that everything went well, his local knowledge was also very impressive for a man hailing from Germany!

We were invited to a Management Cocktail night on one of our first nights at the resort. This was a great chance to meet Robert the General Manager and a few of his key managerial staff. He was really easy to talk to whilst maintaining his professionalism and it is easy to see why he has been so successful!

The restaurant options at the resort were varied and plentiful and every meal we had there was of the highest quality. If for whatever reason these places aren't your cup of tea then there is also numerous other restaurants both on the beach and the main road within a 5 minute walk from the resort.

If I was forced to pick out a negative it would be tough, however the band that played at the resort every time they had live music didn't change things up and there's only so many ABBA and Johnny Cash covers we could handle. However we were in the minority because the oldies seemed to love it! (we're both 23)

We would definitely recommend Beyond Resort Khaolak (and already have been!) to anyone I know, both young and old, couples or friends. It was an incredible experience and i definitely hope to return one day (as soon as possible) to see everyone's friendly faces again.

Kind regards, Conor and Tess

Dear Conor D,

Many thanks for your great review of the resort. Happy to see that you had a good time here and that Carsten & my team did their job right. You will be contacted soon by your travel with the option to purchase additional vouchers with the same great value for money.

Looking forward to have you back soon

Beijing, China
Reviewed May 16, 2014

After staying at 3 top rated resorts - Layana in Ko Lanta, Chongfah and Beyond resort in Khaolak, here is my review of the Beyond Resort.

Thumbs up for...
Room - absolutely exceptional. Spacious, modern, artistic and cosy. It is very hard not to be impressed (Pillow quality and quantity is the only let down. 2 pillows in my villa.)
Pool - best of the best
Beach - been to the beach at both Chongfah and Sorijin resort (the 'white sand beach' in yellow color). Beach here is the best in Khao Lak.
Location - best in Khao Lak. Many beach restaurants, massage places, tourist info offices. There is even a view of lagoon joining the ocean!
Breakfast box - a thoughtful and brilliant idea for early morning travelers!
Sanitary towel - reception delivered a sanitary towel to my room in the early morning when convince store is not opened yet. It saved my life...

Thumbs down for...
Room request was ignored. My booking was through booking.com with a request of 'room near the pool/beach if available'. Hotel staff never mentioned it during check in. Until I was brought to a Villa in the second last row of the whole resort, I asked about my request. They are not aware of it. I asked again but was told 'no more villa near the pool'. Why bother to ask for special request if the resort doesn't read it?

Check in - was asked to show the booking confirmation. Showed my email confirmation. But that is NOT enough. I was asked to send the email to an appointed email address and was passed with wifi login details by the reception. They were waiting for me to complete this at the lobby and kindly said 'take your time'. Why do I need to do this work? You don't have my booking record?

Credit card - was asked to manually fill in a form. Again, That is NOT the end. My credit card was asked to use on a POS machine right after filling in the form. Why is that?

Airport drop off arrangement - hotel charges 2700 baht one way. They suggested alternatively I could arrange a taxi by myself but refused my request to help arranging one for me - saying it is hotel policy. I stayed with hotel car decision to make it simple. (Next day when dining on a nearby beach restaurant, the owner offered taxi service to airport at 1300baht, which is indeed more helpful than the Beyond resort.)

Charge VS guarantee? My credit card was asked by reception for airport drop off service immediately after my request is made upon check-in. My phone received a msg from the bank of a charge around 7000baht. I assumed that it is a guarantee for the stay and drop off. My assumption was wrong. Next day when I tried to cancel the drop off service, the front desk confirmed that the amount I saw was a charge of both transport and room! That means
upon check in, not only the airport is charged, but also the room rate! When I asked why, the answer is 'hotel policy'. My transport fee was refunded in cash (that the only way the resort agreed to) but the 2% credit card transaction fee is not refundable.

2% credit card charge - This is another thing I could not understand. When you arrive at your villa, you will see a letter lying on the bed from the resort General Manager Robert Frei which says the resort promotes a 'no-cash zone' except for a connivence store and for all credit card transaction there is a 2% transaction fee. What? Did I read it wrong?

Beach restaurant - confused, inattentive and cold face staff. It was a busy place with 40 to 60 guests when I sat down at 2p.m. So I waited patiently, and patiently. I was attended after 15 mins of trying to catch staff attention and waiting. During this time, a wrong order (a glass of iced latte) was given to a table next to me twice. There is no typical local smile face here. Staff expect you to order without reading the menu. The whole experience just puts off my desire of spending.

My last feedback is on phone courtesy. It would be better for staff to address the guests with their family name when picking up the phone, than 'calling from the reception', 'yes?', or 'sawadika'.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Ran W
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear Woo Ran,

Thank you for your feedback.
I will here repeat my e-mail correspondence to you;
The hotel was very full during your stay a few days ago and only some rooms further back where available. The room type you have booked is Palm Villa and not Premier. Only Premier Villas and Pool Villas are near the Beach/Pool. Unfortunately our cheapest villas are a bit back from the beach, furthermore,Booking.com does not always relay special requests. All rooms near the lagoon or are Palm Villa Premier and we work on a first come first serve basis when the resort is full. We closed March with 96% occupancy and I believe you would appreciate that we allocate the best positioned rooms to guests that stay longer than 1 night like yourself.
Booking.com has changed its payment procedure to either prepaid or pay at the resort policy. This is new and has led to many problems that guest though they paid the accommodation but actually had to pay it at the resort. Our aim was to ensure we get paid in advance by you again since you only stayed 1 night. Sorry for the inconvenience during the check in.
Every guest is asked to fill in the CC number upon arrival, very rarely do we have online bookings and then mostly its credit with the online travel agent. Your room charge had to be collected at the resort.
The hotel charge for the Airport transfer is correct, provided by a luxury mini bus. If guest insist to have an outside taxi, no problem we call one. Most of the outside taxi’s are not registered as such ( Black Taxi ) and are often stopped by the police at the bridge to Phuket. We do not want to take any responsibility if our guest miss a flight or get seriously inconvenienced by spending hours at the police check-point.
I am also I am very sorry about the refund problems for the taxi. It is correct, direct bookings or online travel agent bookings or upgrades or walk-in guests are charged for the room upon arrival. Too many of times guests with direct bookings or bookings that must be paid at the resort, disappeared without clearing their bills, or had problems with their CC’s upon departure. We, as most other hotels in the world, charge direct bookings upon arrival and it has proven to be the most effective way to avoid problems for guests and resorts alike.
Why do we recommend no cash in the hotel? You did read absolutely right. We do not encourage cash payments in the resorts outlets and spa. The mini mart is not operated by the hotel. How guest pay upon departure is absolutely up to them, cash, CC. An ATM machine to get cash is right in front of the hotel. Sorry if this information is misleading I will change the wording accordingly. You are the first in almost 3 years who see it this way.
Your issue with our F&B staff has been informed to the departments concerned and I hope we can improve the situation soonest. Regarding answering a phone call, again you are correct, Many thanks for this, it is actually in our SOP ( standard of Operation ) but obviously not enforced. I have just increased my management team and hope that we are able to come up with sustainable solutions to the shortcomings.

Best regards from Khaolak

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

As the resort name suggests our stay was beyond expectations.

We stayed from the 3 May for 8 nights, and as per previous reviewers, we used a voucher and stayed in a Palm Villa Premier room near the pool in 1306 (great position). The room was fantastic and had everything we needed including the small things like umbrellas, a torch, slippers, thongs, daily water and fruit platters to name but a few. We didn't spend much time in the room as the resort had plenty of activities. We used the exceptional gym (great quality equipment), Day Spa for massages (beautiful rooms and staff), stand up paddles boards and kayaks (extra charge), convenience store and of course, the fantastic pool and beach area. The pool has a number of different areas, some with spas and the fact it is an Adult Only resort, contributed to the relaxed environment. There was never a problem getting loungers and umbrellas (even though the resort was supposedly at 90%).

What made this resort, was it's position in a quite area of Khaolak, the unbelievably friendly staff, and the pristine grounds, pool and building areas. The breakfast spread and service was the best we have experienced. The Beach bar and Pool bar areas were great (including the daily happy hour), especially having Eddie and Alma around, and all the other staff. We also enjoyed our discussions with Robert and Danielle (Guest Ambassador).

The restaurants down the beach, such as Ma Ma's and Elicious were great as an alternative to the resort, and if anything, add to the overall resort experience. The pineapple fried rice at Ma Ma's was a winner. I would say that over half of these restaurants were still open when we left on the 11th May. We also walked to a local waterfall (about 6km return), which was great to get away and see the local life, especially how they extract rubber juice.

So thank you to Robert and all his staff for a wonderful and relaxed holiday. We look forward to returning again.

4 Thank VanBorka
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear VanBorka,

Many thanks for your great review of the resort. Glad to see that we came up and exceeded expectations. You will be contacted in the near future from Luxury Escapes if you want to purchase additional vouchers, valid to end off October 2015. You may bring a friend or relative along and let them enjoy the splendors of the resort and Khaolak too. There will be another promotion online from Webjet.com as of May 26., another opportunity to purchase great priced packages for our resort.

Thank you again for being our guests and ambassador in Australia

Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went to this hotel for a special occasion after reading many a write up and review and we weren't disappointed. Its a stunning hotel
staff really do look like they love their customers and enjoy giving good service.

1 Thank CJett1987
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear CJett1987,

Thank you for your review. I see that you rate sleep quality with only 3 points. I assume its the solid beds? Next time please ask for a topper, it will soften the beds by quite a lot. The second thing is cleanliness where we scored not well. Kindly let me have your room number. ( robert@katagroup.com )

Again thanks you and I hope you have another special occasion soon to celebrate in Khaolak.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014

April 2014

We have just returned from the Beyond Resort and can't wait to return. Our accommodation was a standard bungalow which was very luxurious and was nearly as big as our house!!
An added bonus was couples only, so no screaming children around the pool.
The pool area was very clean and tidy with lots of sun loungers.
Beach front setting was beautiful and so clean, again with lots of sun loungers and umbrellas.
Thai people are so welcoming and the staff were no exception.
We only ate breakfast in the Hotel, but there was lots of choice and good quality.

Pam (Ipswich, Suffolk)

Room Tip: As far as we were concerned, all rooms looked good, although some of the villas had pools.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AV14CYP
Dear AV14CYP,

Hi Pam, happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in the resort. too bad you had no dinner at the Resort, it's "Beyond" good. as you correctly observed there are 3 1 bedroom pool villas and 2 two bedroom pool villas right at the beach. stunning views. We also build another 22 Palm Villa ELITE rooms and will have them ready for a very private stay. 120 square meters completely fenced in with Jacuzzi on the terrace and a tropical rain-shower in the garden promise even more luxury.

Hope to have you back soon again

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

we booked with Hayes and Jarvis who we found the beyond resort and were able to include the weekend trip to elephant hills. we went at the easter break and found this to be a good time to
travel to Thailand as the weather is just right. The Hotel staff were amazing and so helpful at all times.The food was absolutely incredible in the hotel and there is lots of choice. inc Thai/European/ steak bbq etc and only a short walk up the beach if you want a change.we stayed in a premier room which we found had everything we needed and the little extras were appreciated.
5 pools with jacuzzi bubbles in each and a pool bar !!! beach was out of this world ,
KHAO LAK is beautiful national forest - quiet with a nice friendly vibe - taxi 20 mins to market x3 a week
we would love to return within the next couple of years and highly recommend the HOTEL BEYOND -personal thank you to the manager Robert who personally helped us throughout our stay - a holiday we will never forget - amazing -

Room Tip: go for the premier suite - maybe ask to be near beach -
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank darenpeary
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear darenpeary,

Many thanks for your super review. Happy that you enjoyed thee resort and we hope to be able to welcoming you back for a another bite of Thai hospitality. BTW Hayes and Jarvis is our exclusive agent in the UK, so no need to shopping around too much....

Your sincerely