Beyond Resort Khaolak
The Sarojin(Khao Lak)
$205
$196
TripAdvisor
The Briza Beach Resort Khaolak(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$48
$39
$87
Agoda.com
Khaolak Bhandari Resort and Spa(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
Palm Galleria Resort(Khao Lak)(Great Value!)
$32
$36
$93
$67
1,824 results
All reviewspalm villapremier villasiam restaurantelite villariver gardenkanda sparickety bridgeluxury escapespa sonbeach barfree mini barpool areahappy hourmassage vouchersboom boommattress toppercooking class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We've booked a 7 nights stay in a pool villa from 10-17 August which is a superb room with sea view and private pool and jacuzzi.
The resort is brand new and offers a super service with an amazingly large staff.
Although the resort was only for 25% booked, the staff was all over the place and we were treated like kings.
The villa's are really big and well equiped. The beds are very hard, but that's a bit the standard for Thailand we noticed during our 3 weeks trip...
Nevertheless, the hotel staff immediately searched for a solution and even adapted the matrass !
The only thing that one should work on, is the English knowledge of the staff.
The staff is very helpful and friendly but they don't always understand what you are ordering...
It's a pity that from November on this will be a "adults only" resort (I was there with my wife and son of 11-years old) but if you look at the romantic setting it's quite understandable.
We're wishing the management and staff a lot of success with this beautiful resort and hope this descision will result in a better occupation of the hotel although it's stays a risk...
One last comment, the resort offers great food but prices are of course higher then the local restaurants (a bit on European level).

Room Tip: The closer the room is to the ocean and main pool, the nicer the view becomes.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jan V
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Jan & Family,

Thank you for the great review. I am aware of the beds and have had some problems with this in the past few months, but as you have experienced, we have ways to help. Some of our guests have language difficulties and we try to meet all during our weekly management cocktails, where we are happy to listen to all suggestions and personal wishes. We will do our utmost to satisfy all requests wherever possible. As the saying goes" impossible things we do immediately, wonders take a little longer". Regarding the children policy of 18+ only, I fully understand you, but according to our main agents, there is a huge demand but not enough supply for this segment. Food and Beverage prices...., certainly we are a bit higher than the street- and beachside restaurants, but in comparison to our 4+* + 5* competitors we are very fair. After all the owners are looking for a return of investment in this life-time... :-)

Again many thanks for your great comments

I remain yours sincerely

Robert Frei/GM & the BRKL Team

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We are staying at the Beyond right now for 3 days with my wife and 2 sons, 11 & 13. I am general manager of a Dutch ICT company and frequently stay in nice hotels and resorts. Still I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of Beyond. We booked the villa at the beach, 1 of 2, and I never slept so close to ocean. The villa (1103) is spacieus and beautiful, even with à private pool which seems to flow over in the ocean. The airco indeed very silent. I could never sleep before with the AC running. The Resort is very new and maybe there are little things to improve. Indeed personel don't speak very good English, but this was also the case at the other quality hotels where we stayed last 2 weeks in other parts of Thailand. I think this has it charm and they are very friendly. Specially a man called 'OH' who is doing everything to make our visit perfect. Today he arranged a tour swimming with Elephants because I told hij my sons would really love doing this. We went for lunch today at the Lemeridien next door. We had to wait for 30 minutes for our drinks and when the food finally arrived it was cold. Maybe bad luck, but I thought I made THE right choice with THE Beyond. Unfortunately to hear that they change policy end of 2012 to have only visitors from above 18 years old. Not sure if this is à good decision...

Room Tip: 1103 is THE best villa of THE Resort Beyond!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron S
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Dear Ron and Family,

Many thanks for your great review. Indeed the Pool Villas are in a fantastic location, especially the 2 bedroom ones. I aqm aware that the change to become an couples resort ( 18+ ) is not appealing to all guests and we had similar comments from guests with kids. On the other hand, our agents can't get enough rooms for the coming season, it seems there is a big demand and not enough supply for the adulds only concept. You may try our sister property, the Beyond Resort Krabi for your next holiday, try the Grand Sea-View Deluxe with a connecting for your children, maybe no private pool BUT the view and space of the accommodation is astonishing.

Robert Frei/GM & the BRKL Team

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights, the rooms are spacious and clean, the staff were excellent very friendly and helpful. The restaurants had a good variety of food on offer we especially enjoyed the Thai food and the breakfast selection. The pool area is amazing enjoyed swimming and lazing about it each day of our stay very relaxing, also enjoyed swimming in the sea it felt like a deserted island just perfect. The spa treatments were excellent as well. We are looking forward to returning to stay in the near future, will be recommending it to all my friends back home.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank edenlapwood
Robertthai1, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Dear "Edenlapwood",

Thank you very much for taking your time to post a great response. Happy to see that you have enjoyed yourself, even though jsut for 3 days. Hope next time you will be able to stay a bit longer. I think the fantastic weather ( almost as good a our high season ) we had the last 30 days certainly enhances a great holidyay feeling.

Again, we appreciate your response

Yours sincerely

Robert & The BRKL Team

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Beyond Resort Khaolak is a new resort in the South West of Thailand, and it's refreshingly modern and pleasingly simple. All of the accomodation is well proportioned (I think around 55m2 each unit), and right now, the resort is offering great deals for two-night stays. My stay worked out at less than 100 dollars including breakfast, so it's exceptional value for this part of South-east Asia. I liked the international breakfast and the swimming pool split into several private sections.

The resort was pretty quiet when I visited, but spent some time with the General Manager Robert who is amicable, fun and imediately likable. I got the impression from the beachside restaurnt that the menu is stil lbeing decided upon, but the food was wholesome and enjoyable. I like how this resort connects guests with the beach in a simple way - just walk out of your villa, past the pool and onto the soft sands; briliant! This kind of 'on the beahc' location normally costs a lot more.

I love the Khaolak area mainly because I';m an enthusiastic driver and I love exploring the quiet, fast roads in that part of the country; it's one of the few areas in Thailand where the roads are well finished and allow you to really open up a fast car; whatever, the point is that this resort has become one of my favourite stop-off points in the South-west - a nice little well-appointed oasis in what is still a pretty wild and natural area of beautiful Thailand.

This is a great value resort stay with every amenity you could want for a few days. I recommend this totally.

Room Tip: It does not matter, even the entry level villas are fine - the main pool is awesome so you do not need a small private pool. All feature a nice outside patio area too, and the resort is quite small so it does not matter where your villa is located
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Dave S
robertthai, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your recent visit. Hope you had a good drive back. By the way, the standard Palm villa is 62 square meters, not 55. Anyway, ample space for 2-3 person. You mention that the resort is quite small? I would say rather the opposite..... 72 Rai or 115,000 square meter of privacy and luxury seems rather large to me...and as of November as I told you, Couples only ( 18 years + ). And please try the Kite Boarding during your next visit, just perfect for trill seekers like yourself. Our french Kite Boarding Asia ( KBA ) instructor is waiting you.

Regardless of size, huge thanks to you

Robert & the BRKL Team

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Our stay at Beyond was towards the end of the tourist season. We stayed for 7 nights in April/May 2012. Unfortunately, we experienced several issues.

Our welcome was extremely poor. Little eye contact was given and frankly it was awkward and annoying. We waited for a long period until our booking was found (later we were told they had lost our booking). There was no welcome drink or cold towel or hotel introduction etc. We were simply carted to our room and were left to figure out what facilities/restaurants were available etc. It is worth pointing out that we brought this issue the very next day to Robert, the general manager, who was apologetic. We were keen to get on with enjoying our holiday and would have done if it wasn’t for the following:

Jelly Fish! The resort will play the issue down and offer no warnings. We went into the sea and 45 minutes later my husband was stung by a jelly fish. The bar staff were quick to attend using vinegar and a local plant to ease the sting. He asked how often someone gets stung to which they replied, "every day". Robert told us "I don't want to advertise the Jelly Fish otherwise no one would come...it doesn't hurt...staff are trained to respond quickly..." Needless to say we didn’t enter the sea for our remaining stay. We feel that it is very irresponsible and unacceptable for the hotel to conceal this issue. Getting stung by a Jelly Fish does hurt and the effects of the pain will remain for around 3 days. It is very easy to struggle in the water and get repeatedly stung.

Items one would expect in a resort of this standard but simply do not exist: a.) fly candles; Beyond staff give bug spray instead, b.) Rain screen in the bar, c.) free Internet in the lobby (it is free next door at Le Meredian), Beyond charges B200/hr, d.) Signs to warn when Jelly Fish are out (a flag system is used at Le Meredian - a life guard checks frequently), e.) Shampoo and soap rather than Holiday Inn Express style 'all in one' wash, d.) Bathrobes and slippers, e.) good variety of vegetarian dishes g.) entertainment h.) cheerful or chilled music rather than the ubiquitous 'cut my heart out with a spoon' covers.

The overwhelming issue is staff training and customer service. Communication and language skills are lacking. We found ordering a meal or a drink especially challenging and had to repeat what we were after several times. It is quite clear there is little investment and training as well as feedback given to the staff. For example, the staff are constantly leaning against something or sitting down, having a chat etc. I will point out however that the majority of the staff are very friendly and will bend over backwards to help however our opinion is that they lacking the necessary training skills and hopefully management will take this on board. Below are some tangible issues we encountered:

1.) 27th April. In the beach bar, Ordered a Tiramasu and received a cheesecake.
2.) 27th April. Asked for a wine off the menu. It wasn't available.
3.) 28th April. Asked for the Assorted Fruit desert but with Vanilla ice cream. It arrived with pineapple ice-cream. We notified the waitress who walked away to the kitchen then back to her till. We had to call her over to see of anything was being done about changing the ice cream. She walked away again and it was only until a 2nd waitress got involved that the ice cream was finally changed.
4.) 28th April. Ordered a double whisky. It came with two large ice cubes never asked for.
5.) 28th April. No hot water available all day.
6.) 29th April. During breakfast asked a staff member for water and was told she wouldn't get it as it as on the buffet counter. At the time there were 3 staff members to 3 couples in the breakfast room.
7.) 29th April: no hot water available all day.

Some positive feedback regarding Beyond is as follows:

- Decor and grounds.
- Cleanliness of the villa – too many insects though for our liking.
- Gym facilities are excellent: good range of weights, strength training machines as well as cardio machines.
- Food quality – as mentioned could do with more vegetarian variety.
- Proximity to the beach
- Availability of bikes to use at leisure

Survival Guide

Do Beyond by night (ie sleep) and go to Le Meridian by day. The staff at Le Meridian are attentive and speak excellent English. We used the free Wifi available in the Lobby and enjoyed proper Italian illy coffee at Latitude 8 - great way to pass the time. We dined frequently in their Italian Restaurant, Indian Restaurant and in the Bamboo Bar. Cash or Credit Card accepted and all reasonably and comparatively priced. There is more choice of food, deserts and drinks.

Our recommendation to Beyond, specifically to the management team, is

To ensure the welcome of their guests is up to standard. Guests obviously travel many hundreds/thousands of miles and it is a key touch point. Be open and honest with their guests regarding the Jelly Fish issue and incorporate a flag system. Invest in staff training and English lessons. There is an obvious gap in the prerequisites for employment at Beyond and that of Le Meridian. It is as if some of the staff were picked up from the street and given a 3 or 4 day induction. In contrast, one will see a buzz and sense of urgency from the staff in Le Meridian and equally important, strong language skills.

In summary, whilst we did our best to enjoy our time at Beyond we found ourselves going next door and doing our best to salvage our holiday. We wouldn’t return or recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Dvaughan1000
robertthai, General Manager at Beyond Resort Khaolak, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your informative response. Will give us plenty of ideas as to where to concentrate our never-ending efforts to improve our services.
Regarding the Jelly fish; Very true, this unwanted creatures appear from time to time, especially during April, the hottest month of the year in Thailand. Please rest assured that if it would be permanent occurrence, I would certainly place more information at the beach. The flag system elsewhere indicates; Yellow=Swimming is safe and life guard on duty, red and Yellow;= Swimming is safe but no life guard on duty, Red= Do not swim.
Regarding the in room amenities, you are correct the description on the dispenser bottle ( Head to Toe ), actually it contains a brand name shampoo, that is why we have the conditioner next to it, as well as liquid soap and body lotion is in all rooms ..
The Mosquito candles are virtually ineffective outdoors with the wind and indoor create a fire hazard. We therefore hand out, free of charge, a natural lime based anti-insect spray, which by the way is also effective against jelly fish.
On our menus, you are correct again, and we will increase our vegetarian selection, including Indian dishes, towards the next high season. I trust, that after we have met in the lobby the second day, and introduced you to our chef and F&B management, we tried our best to accommodate your dietary plans to the best of our abilities. Even on the management cocktail party we have catered separately for you.
For the hot water issues i really apologize, since we use 80% solar power and the heating elements are merely a backup they are not used often. In your case this backup did not work as once activated it blew out the electric circuit breaker without us noticing it. All rooms have been checked afterwards for the same “baby-sicknesses” that occur in a brand new hotel.
I hope that this will explain a little bit, and I am sorry again that you were not able to fully enjoy your vacation with us.

Robert Frei