“Fantastic Live Aboard”

Wicked Diving Khao Lak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Wicked Diving is a small dive center located in Khao Lak, Thailand. We service the Simlan Islands, Richelieu Rock and the Suring Islands We are focused on ethical operations and safety while delivering top-notch service. As our primary concern is our environment, we operate in small groups with skilled guides that emphasize reducing our impact on the eco-systems we visit. You can join our Similan liveaboards, guided overnight snorkeling tours, thorough training courses as well as daytrips to the Similan and Surin Islands.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 8, 2015

I had a fantastic experience on my live aboard trip with Wicked Diving!

I joined them for a 3-night/3-day trip to the Surin Islands the first week of December 2015. We did a total of 9 dives, including a night dive on the second day. Each one of the dive sites had a huge amount of sea life. Colorful corals and all the beautiful little creatures that live on the reef, schools of bigger fish as well as turtles, rays and sharks (we spotted a black-tip and a guitar shark). Richelieu Rock absolutely lived up to the hype as Thailand's most famous dive site. I've been diving in Australia, Africa, Central America and Mexico, and I can't think of a site I've visited that was better with respect to the conditions, visibility and sea life. Just incredible.

The boat was a nice size with plenty of space to relax in the sun and shade. The bunks were comfortable, air conditioned and had plugs to charge electronics. The bunk rooms are small, but I packed what I needed into a small duffle bag and left my suitcase at the dive shop. All you really need is a couple shirts, some shorts, a sarong and your swim/scuba gear. Wicked provides towels and ecologically friendly shampoo/conditioner/soap and sunscreen. Just one of the many ways their commitment towards environmentally conservation was evident.

We had about 20 divers total and dove in groups of 3 to 4 per guide/ Divemaster. Wicked did a great job of pairing divers of about the same skill together, which was important for me since I was a solo traveler. Our DM Chris took safety seriously and made sure each of the divers in my group was comfortable in our gear. He was also fun both on the boat and during dives and did a great job of figuring out what types of sea life we each were especially interesting in finding. The two other divers I was grouped with each had cameras, and Chris laid out a nice plan for how to make sure they were able to get the photos they were after.

Also, the food was delicious! Fruit, cereal and drinks were available any time. The meals were a delicious variety of authentic Thai dishes. I'm still amazed the cooks were able to put together such great meals in such a small kitchen.

The people on my trip came from all over the world (US, Germany, Norway, Ireland, South Africa). About half the group were couples and then there were groups of friends and a few other single travelers like me. I enjoyed getting to know everyone.

I don't have a single negative thing to say about my experience. I'm already trying to figure out when I can return to Khao Lak or plan a trip with Wicked in Komodo. Thanks for a fantastic trip!

1  Thank jenn13
Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Wicked Diving Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2016

Dear Jen,

We are very pleased to hear that you had such a great time diving with us, and agree to everything you said ;-). I know us saying this is getting old, but we rally never do get tired of hearing from people who had a fantastic time onboard the MV/ Mariner and appreciate the way we do things in regards to fun, safety and eco-friendliness. Hope to see you back in the future, both here in Thailand and and Komodo and Raja Ampat.

Cheers WICKED

in 5 reviews
"manta rays"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2015

This was my first experience on a live aboard and there are countless ways in which Wicked Diving is probably the best operation out there. The staff were incredible. The best. Everyone on the boat were like minded and cared deeply for the environment in which they operate. The food was fantastic and every one of the staff went about making the beginner divers such as myself feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible. The dive sites were incredible and the sea life blew my mind. This was all in all a perfect experience and I will certainly go back again.

1  Thank calemoo
Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Wicked Diving Khao Lak, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2015

Hello Cale,

Thank for leaving us such a sweet review. We always do everything in our power to be the bedst live aboard out there, and it’s great to hear that we succeeded, and that our care for the environment - something we tage great pride in - is part of what makes us great.

We don’t believe that a divers greatness is determined by how long, or how many places you have dived, buy by how safe you dive and how you take care of the marinelife and the environment while doing so, and we are always happy to welcome new divers to the family, and provide a safe and relaxed live aboard, where you have time and help to find your fins in the underwater world.

We are already looking forward till you are coming back to dive with us again, maybe in Komodo ore Raja Amat next time.

Cheers

Reviewed December 3, 2015

We recently returned from a trip to Thailand where we had an amazing time with Wicked Diving on the 3-day liveaboard to the Similan Islands. Every aspect of the trip was well managed, so all we had to do was show up, enjoy the dives and relax on the MV Mariner. I would definitely recommend this trip and Wicked Diving to anybody visiting Khao Lak.

The boat is really fantastic. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the bathroom and shower facilities are well kept, and there's a sundeck with bean bag chairs and cushions for relaxing between dives. The boat's set-up also makes for a social and friendly atmosphere and we really enjoyed getting to know the other divers and staff.

The food was ridiculously good and you will definitely be well-fed on this trip. The captain's wife does all the cooking out of a small kitchen on the lower deck and I honestly don't know how she does it. After every dive, there's an incredibly tasty meal or snack waiting for you.

And most importantly the dives were all really great. We saw a lot of wildlife - sea turtles (hawksbill), Napoleon wrasse, eagle rays and, of course, lots of corals and reef fish. The dive staff were extremely professional, helpful and clearly put in a lot of effort to make the trip enjoyable for all the guests. The dive gear was well maintained and the dives were all run very smoothly. During the trip, I completed my Advanced Open Water with Hampus. He was a great dive guide and made the certification process super simple and easy.

2  Thank mthomas283

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your time onboard the MV/ Mariner and got to experience some of all the wonders a live aboard holds for you: Getting to hanging out in the sun with fellow divers, eating great food, and last but definitely not least; got to meet som of the really amazing marinelife we have in the Simians.

Cheers WICKED.

Reviewed November 30, 2015

We couldn’t have been more pleased with our first liveaboard experience! My girlfriend and I booked a 3-day live aboard to the Similan Islands with Wicked Diving. Everything about the experience was well organized and perfectly executed. Our guide, Chris, and the entire boat staff were top-notch professionals who clearly enjoy what they do and make sure their guests were have a good, safe time. The other reviewers are not exaggerating when they say the food was amazing - hats off to the cooks P Lek and P Da (we still think about that mango sticky rice)! Everyone had a ton of fun on the boat and we made some great friends that we’ve stayed in touch with since our trip. We also appreciate Wicked’s commitment to responsible tourism and ethical diving including it’s numerous initiatives supporting the local communities and environments in which they work. We can’t wait to dive with Wicked again soon!

1  Thank Adam_Denver
See more reviews
Reviewed November 29, 2015

I'm not sure that I can fit in enough complimentary adjectives to describe both the experience of the Dive Master Training programme or the staff at Wicked Diving.

Some that come to mind are professional, patient, gracious, informed, knowledgable, safe, genuine, considerate, caring, and lots of fun.

I had spent some time over the summer trying to decide where to do my PADI Dive Master Training. There are quite a few things to think about as it's a fairly significant investment of money and time (6weeks). I was really looking for a place that was interesting diving, had a good reputation, and small groups of trainees, I was going to learn in an environment that wasn't a party town, and with people that were more interested in partying than learning...

Having seen some places in the Caribbean, I looked back to a more familiar part of the world (Thailand) and came across Wicked Diving. Their website was full of information and gave me the impression of excited, knowledgable, and interested people. Each of my initial emails reinforced the fact that they didn't want party people (another plus) and there would be only 4 people on the course. Perfect. I signed up.

The delightful Alex is the course mentor/instructor, diving nerd, and very well versed in all things related. The pace of the course was excellent, the discussions always wider than the preset course requirements and the practical side of things presented advantageous opportunities for experience (boat based day trips and liveaboards).

Khao Lak isn't expensive to live in, the accommodation is part of the training package, and there are some great opportunities to support local projects (Wicked are engaged in a totally awesome swim programme with a local school that aims to identify potential for further training in the diving industry, see their website blogs for the stories and photos).

My initial apprehension of having made a wise choice of location had been thoroughly blown away by Alex, the multi-talented and hilarious Keith (the dive shop manager), and the passion for diving and how this was expressed by the rest of the instructors there.

By the end of the course I felt fully equipped to take on diving as a career. Not just this, but I felt like the training I'd received and the expectations of me were higher than most places I could have chosen.

So... as I prepare to leave (with some sadness) I do so knowing that what energy I spent on this course was returned a hundred fold by Alex, Keith, and the other instructors. I also know, without a doubt that this was the best place to have done my DMT and if you're reading this and wondering, like I was, where to enter the world of professional diving sign up here...!

2  Thank Phil M

Dear Phil,

Thank you for that sweet TA review. We are always happy to hear when people had a great time diving with us, but it really means something special when it comes from someone who was with us for not only the duration of a live aboard ore a course, but for 6 full weeks, and got to se who WICKED are from the inside as well.

We are very happy to know that you felt like you made the right choice doing you dive master training here, and with you all the bedst in the future.